Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Serious playground baller General's Avatar

Default Re: Unemployment Drops Below 8%, Conservatives Cry Conspiracy

The U-6 umeployment rate which the BLS describes as: Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force. IMO this is the most telling and "true" unemployment rate. It's actually higher now than when Obama took office. After Obama's poor debate performance and this abysmal jobs report I see Romney picking up more than a few points in Ohio and Florida. Some polls already show Romney leading in Florida by two points.
    U-6 True Unemployment Rate

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    agreed. my guess is there are a whole lot of unsustainable energy jobs that will start to disappear once the gas is extracted.
    You're obviously an expert. Tell me more. USA is #1 exporter of natural gas.

Thank you oil and gas industry for making our economy stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    You're obviously an expert. Tell me more. USA is #1 exporter of natural gas.

Thank you oil and gas industry for making our economy stronger.

so we are sitting on an unlimited supply of natural gas then? i was under the impression that there is a limited amount and that once its burned its gone.

thank you oil and gas industry. without you glorious people, humanity would still be living in caves. hawker you are basically the savior of humanity, thank you for your sacrifice.

so we are sitting on an unlimited supply of natural gas then? i was under the impression that there is a limited amount and that once its burned its gone.

thank you oil and gas industry. without you glorious people, humanity would still be living in caves. hawker you are basically the savior of humanity, thank you for your sacrifice.
    Jobs are jobs. If you want sustainable jobs, I guess we should make prostitution legal.

And of course, not unlimited but a centuries worth of gas at least. Got anything more sustainable than that?

Jobs are jobs. If you want sustainable jobs, I guess we should make prostitution legal.
    look up to the sky hawker. how do you feel knowing that you will be put out of work and have your entire industry replaced by an ancient ball of fire?

solar will be the final answer to our energy needs. this fact is 100% unavoidable and inevitable. its only a matter of how long it takes until the technology can catch up.

look up to the sky hawker. how do you feel knowing that you will be put out of work and have your entire industry replaced by an ancient ball of fire?

solar will be the final answer to our energy needs. this fact is 100% unavoidable and inevitable. its only a matter of how long it takes until the technology can catch up.
    Doesn't bother me at all bub. I'll be dead/retired by then.

Plus I have an engineering degree. Wouldn't be hard to find another job.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    That's because they cut so many government jobs. The private sector has been hiring away.
    Hiring away is an exaggeration, but the private sector has definitely been more robust than the public sector.

Doesn't bother me at all bub. I'll be dead/retired by then.

Plus I have an engineering degree. Wouldn't be hard to find another job.
    well good for you having a plan in place for the future. its nice that we can both agree that solar will ultimately replace fossil fuels.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Should I be concerned that Starface is checking out Charlotte's Craigslist?
    Maybe he's trying to get a job. It'd be a good first step.

And of course, not unlimited but a centuries worth of gas at least. Got anything more sustainable than that?

I agree with you here.

I feel the same way about construction workers. You'll here politicians shit on those as temporary jobs but to those people that is what they rely on. There are always roads to fix, buildings to repairs, bridges in need of maintenance etc etc. Just b/c they won't always live in the same place where that work is needed doesnt change that its honest to goodness work.

a job is a job. It does not matter if its technically temporary b/c w/o it they can't spend money and move the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by General
    The U-6 umeployment rate which the BLS describes as: Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force. IMO this is the most telling and "true" unemployment rate. It's actually higher now than when Obama took office. After Obama's poor debate performance and this abysmal jobs report I see Romney picking up more than a few points in Ohio and Florida. Some polls already show Romney leading in Florida by two points.
    U-6 True Unemployment Rate
    why not just throw cats and dogs in that percentage to just to make it higher? since when did part time employment become unemployment. this is the exact reasons why i hate politics people like to twist facts and make false impressions. and then go into microsoft office, fill in a chart and think you have a point

Quote Originally Posted by General
    The U-6 umeployment rate ....
    The U6 rate tells almost the same story as the U3 rate.

It was high when Obama took office, peaked in the spring of 2010 and is now back BELOW where Obama's first full month in office? How can I say its below? The answer to that is Obama's first full month in office is February 2009, not January. January 2009 happened to the worst single month for job losses in the crisis with 800,000 lost. Look what that single month did to numbers, the regular unemployment rate jumped from 7.8 to 8.3 in a single month. The U6 jumped from 14.2 to 15.1 in a single month.

You could argue that those numbers are not good enough and it's been too high for too long, but it's not dishonest to use the u3 rate. If you click and look at the charts I linked, the graph of the u6 and the u3 numbers are pretty much the same picture.

There's no dishonesty in using the u6 or the u3 numbers as long as you compare apples to apples and not do what Fox News did a few weeks ago, where there compared the Jan 2009 u3 rate to the current u6 rate.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    why not just throw cats and dogs in that percentage to just to make it higher? since when did part time employment become unemployment. this is the exact reasons why i hate politics people like to twist facts and make false impressions. and then go into microsoft office, fill in a chart and think you have a point
    The u6 numbers have value, but you just have to understand what rate you're considering.

The u6 numbers are always higher. That doesn't make them false. What is false is the idea that the the trend the u6 numbers show us radically diverges from the trend in the u3 numbers. The trends are moving pretty much in sync.

Krugman just weighed in on this one

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/201...ment-syndrome/

As one commenter points out where were these same folks complaining about the BLS numbers in July and August when the numbers were not favorable to the President.

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4
    Except they don't count the people who stop looking for a job... so the number isn't really indicative of the true unemployment rate.
    Only when a Republican is president does this get any mention.