Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Jogging late at night

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    It's best to run in the mornings on a relatively empty stomach. You'll lose weight much more quickly since your body is forced to tap into fat reserves as opposed to calories that are readily available during the day. You also get a better run, especially if you've had a good night's sleep, because you're refreshed and your body feels as if it can go longer and harder.
    I'm no expert on this stuff, but this is what I think I remember hearing from people who would know what they're talking about

Local High School Star

Everybody's body is different. Just because something works for somebody doesn't mean it'll work for you. Do what makes you happy. If running at midnight makes you happy and that's when you have time, then go ahead man, but everybody's body chemistry is different.

When somebody from say, England, comes out here to the West Coast for a little while. He's going to have jet lag. The timing is going to be different and it'll take a little while for him to adjust time and day-wise. Jet lag will mess with you and takes a toll on your body, so he'll do things differently than people on the West Coast who are used to the times.

Do what you do that makes you happy. If it works, then more power to you. Good luck man.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by VC
    if you are out of shape, modify your diet first.

there is no instant panacea for being fat. Obesity can only be quelled through diet, persistent exercise, and patience.
    Haha, I'm not fat. Far from it actually, I'm insanely skinny. 5'11/150 lbs. Virtually no muscle. Don't really care either, I've never cared much about building muscle in my opper body. I eat pretty poorly, I'll be the first to admit that, and I just have an extremely high metabolism.

I just want to increase my stanima so I can actually make it through a tryout at Uni without feeling like I'm going to collapse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max
    You work at Wendy's? Best of luck... lol...

What time do you usually get up in the mornings?
    Haha, I know, I know. It was horrible to start too, I was eating their food virtually every day. I've only been there a few months now (and plan on leaving in about a month -- for when school starts), but I've started to veer away from the food lately. Not because I don't like it, but just because I've come to realize just how bad it is for me. Plus I don't like spending the money. Still hard though, because there are only so many options that come with homemade food to bring to a workplace with only a microwave to use.

I'm normally a late morning type of person, but I can get up whenever I want to, and I can start going to bed earlier (which I'll do).

Anyways, thanks for the help boys. Quite helpful. I think I'll probably stop the latenight runs, as they were making me pretty sore, and I was going to sleep pretty much right afterwards. I'll probably start going early morning on the empty stomach, like a few of you were saying.

Anyways, thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bk33
    Hey Maxfly, or anyone else that can answer.
    I've had a couple episodes in my life when I was exercising on empty stomach (not morning tho) I turn very weak, couldn't stand or even sit, lips turn white and I be shaking. Low blood sugar is my guess. My question is should I not attempt to run right after waking up, with an empty stomach?
    Yeah, it sounds like an issue brought about by low blood sugar. It's best not to run after waking up with an empty stomach. Try to eat or drink something small... fruit juice generally does the trick... Apples and grapes are good too... try to stay away from bananas early in the morning. You don't want to exercise with your stomach completely empty and you do want to get something in you to kickstart your metabolism.

shhhhhhh

hey maxfly why stay away from bananas? not questioning your reasoning at all actually i welcome your answer

I pooped a hammer.

Wanna know how I know you're gay? You go jogging at night.

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by RagingBull33
    Wanna know how I know you're gay? You go jogging at night.
    Someone was bound to figure me out eventually. Good work detective.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    hey maxfly why stay away from bananas? not questioning your reasoning at all actually i welcome your answer
    It may be a personal thing, but I've found that bananas leave me queasy after jogging more than 2 or so miles. I've heard others mention the same thing as well. I think the problem is that there isn't enough time between the time I have a snack in the mornings and the time I hit the track. Ironically, bananas are one of the best fruits a runner can eat before running because they are high in potassium and help to prevent cramps. They are also good for protein and fiber for post running recovery. It's recommended that you eat one about an hour before running, but if you don't have that kind of time, it's probably better to try apples, oranges, pears, grapes or just fruit juices. I think it's something about the digestion process of a banana that may leave a person a little queasy if they exercise too soon after eating one.

And generally, it's an exercise that requires a lot of movement and jostling of the body.
    Last edited by MaxFly; 07-25-2007 at 01:44 AM.

I pooped a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    Someone was bound to figure me out eventually. Good work detective.
    Thank you sir, glad I could help.

Local High School Star WoGiTaLiA1's Avatar

Running at night is dependent on your body clock.

Basically what is your normal routine? Are you a nightshift worker, in which case you probably wake up in the afternoon, so treat that as your "morning".

It doesnt really matter when you run, cardio is going to do you some good no matter what time it is, there are just optimal times to do it and times not to do it.

You should try to avoid exercise in general within 2 hours of sleep, exercise speeds the metabolism and produces all kinds of chemicals that are not good for sleep and will result in a restless sleep. So if you can try and avoid running within 2 hours of when you plan to sleep. This is the biggest one because a good sleep is more important than any exercise can be.

As for the best times. In the morning is a great time because it helps to wake you and give you an energy boost, be careful though because it will also cause you to be more drained than usual in the afternoon and you have to make sure you eat right in between or you will just end up spent in the afternoons. Assuming you run at 8am, you will want to have a meal at 7:30am, then at least 2 more about 2 hours apart before 1pm.

Running in the afternoon at 3 or so will give you a boost and also help the body prepare for sleep. By going for the run at this sort of time you will optimize the energy spike for the afternoon and you will begin to start feeling tired when you are headed for bed, or should giving you a nice sleep.

Morning and afternoons are the best times to run for someone who sleeps regular times(10pm to 7am). Adjust it for your equivalents to these times if you work nightshifts and the sort.

Other than that, mix it up, ride a bike sometimes(targets different muscles and is far better on the knees/ankles/hips), swim if you can and when running try and avoid hard surfaces and mix it up. High intensity is the way to go on any exercise though. If you are seriously unfit take it easy with about a 30 seconds at high(basically flat out) and 1m30s at about 60%(Jog). If you are fit enough do 1:1 or 1:2. Basically using the high intensity training you can get the same effect out of a 15 minute run as you would with a 30 minute run without the high intensity.

Enjoy whatever you do, only way you will stick to it.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Hey, ridonks I think think that internal clock **** is BS. You run and you get in shape. I dont see how you running at midnight doesnt get you in shape.

Your internal clock is gonna get ****ed up b/c you are gonna be going to college so it doesnt matter.

And whoever told you that exercising everyday is stupid. Run every day. I am going to try and do that as soon as i get back from Asia.

Good luck on making the university team. I may try out for aTm club soccer.

Personally, I can't go running in the morning on an empty stomach. After about 5k I'm completely out of fuel and have to walk the other 5k home.

High School Varsity 6th Man Miles and Miles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    It may be a personal thing, but I've found that bananas leave me queasy after jogging more than 2 or so miles. I've heard others mention the same thing as well. I think the problem is that there isn't enough time between the time I have a snack in the mornings and the time I hit the track. Ironically, bananas are one of the best fruits a runner can eat before running because they are high in potassium and help to prevent cramps. They are also good for protein and fiber for post running recovery. It's recommended that you eat one about an hour before running, but if you don't have that kind of time, it's probably better to try apples, oranges, pears, grapes or just fruit juices. I think it's something about the digestion process of a banana that may leave a person a little queasy if they exercise too soon after eating one.

And generally, it's an exercise that requires a lot of movement and jostling of the body.
    Bananas work for me. I can't eat oranges before running. Like previous posters have said everyone is different.

i always work out at night... .never had a problem and its better to work out everyday (well for me it is) tho you can skip some days.. but i heard its not good going 48hr+ without exercise
    Last edited by rknine15; 07-25-2007 at 11:10 AM.

Lakers 4 life. Kobe!

Oh yeah I forgot to mention... sleep straight 8-9 hours.