Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Local High School Star

Default Re: Cleveland with the weird picks

Quote Originally Posted by sixer6ad
    Thompson was 2nd Team All NBA Rookie Last Year. Now, it's not a badge of honor to carry around 2nd Team awards, but it's far from a flop. They drafted three things with Thompson: Energy, Defense, and Rebounding - and he was very good in all 3 areas.

Dion Waiters: Does anyone listen to Fran Frischella? He seems to have this inside niche on Foreign players and other "sleepers". When asked about Dion Waiters vs. Harrison Barnes, he said: "I'd draft Waiters and it's not even close." And he coached Barnes in some under 18 national competition. Jim Boeheim said hands down Waiters is the most talented player he has ever coached at Syracuse . He was rated as the best one on one talent in this draft and the player most likely to get to the basket in the entire draft. STRANGE SELECTION, no doubt - but this isn't a Darko pick.
    In addition, Zeller was the ACC Player of the Year and 2nd Team All American. He was rated the 2nd best center in the draft, and we got him.

So...Chris Grant acquires the NBA Rookie of the Year, and a solid PF last year, and the ACC Player of the Year scoring post and a highly-ranked slasher this year. Everyone is right - the jury is still out. I don't see the reach that everyone is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    I wasn't really dissing ya'll. Just that you guys do it differently, now either you guys or geniuses or not. Still, both Tristan and Waiters got picked by Cavs way too early with some high quality drafts available.

Still though man, nobody has an idea yet how Jonas V will turn out in the NBA. When it happened last year, I was quite surprised myself, only because I had not heard much about Tristan. But after I saw him play, I was more than impressed. The situation is very similar this year. I have heard of Dion Waiters but did not expect him to go this early, I had every reason to believe we were drafting Barnes. Until they all play, we know nothing. Last year, it looked like a bad draft and it actually saw a lot of good players come out of it.

funny thing is i like waiters, even called him underrated before he started to shoot up draft boards faster than a coke fiend does lines. in regards to pure offense, i think he's the best player of the draft. he has an explosive first step, takes long strides and is a strong finisher. he has a stepback jumper, can split doubles and uses the glass inside. in transition, he's as explosive as you can get for his size.

but #4 overall? he might be way too iso heavy in the league for that. i'm not sold on his defense either. syracuse plays strictly zone so it's hard to gauge that, never mind it being horrible for player development. syracuse doesn't exactly have a good track record as of late.

at #4, i just like taking a safer pick and waiters has too high a bust potential for me at that point. iso heavy, defensive impaired guards in this league generally come off the bench. do you use a #4 pick for a guy that will play 25 mins, maybe more on nights where he has the hot hand? this isn't a harden situation; harden was much more versatile than waiters and he comes with more prototypical size.

waiters shoots way too many 3's for my liking and takes way too many heat checks.

his offensive game is not the part i'd be overly concerned about. it would be his efficiency (goes back to shot selection), defense and ability to handle more minutes.

now, waiters might become a good defender but there isn't a whole lot there to suggest that he'll transition from a zone oriented defense to a more traditional defense swiftly. his steal numbers look good per 40 or whatever but those are inflated and involve gambling. we all know how that can be misleading. he does have quick hands though and was more committed to defense his second year. on the flip side, some of the strips and steals he goes for in college are going to be called fouls in the nba.

let's be real about boeheim btw. he said those words in the last week i believe and he's just backing his guy. are we truly to believe that waiters is more talented than carmelo anthony at the college level? not even a big melo fan but melo was ready from the jump and was instrumental in syracuse winning it all.

i might change my mind later, but early on, waiters and plumelee were the biggest reaches imo.

for those saying we don't know how 'x' player is going to do, apply that to waiters as well. just understand the criticism for now and we can't truly revisit this with a full picture for about three years...could he be the next westbrook? i won't say it's impossible. wb is more explosive but they share similarities in shot selection (shooting early in the shot clock) and not being a natural PG. both don't always hit their teammate in stride or get the offense going. this will be more of a moot point as he'll play SG in cleveland, but still. high risk, high reward. draftexpress has him at worst as smush parker, lol. i won't be that mean but a semi jerryd bayles make sense to me
    Last edited by blacknapalm; 06-29-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Thompson and Waiters were both reachy, but so what if they were taken 2-4 spots ahead of the consensus. Both of them will turn out to be solid. You don't need superstars around Irving. All you want are solid NBA starters.

Drafting Zeller was major fail. Paid way too much for one of the worst prospect in the first round. Zeller looked good because he was a Senior and solidly half a foot taller than 90% of the college players.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    Dion can get to the rack at will unlike I've ever seen. I understand the Wade comparisons in the regard. It'll be interesting to see how he pairs with Kyrie in terms of penetration. You're gonna have to have a stellar back court D to stop them both.
    Hope so.

One bad draft pick can set a team back for a decade.

Hawks picked Marvin Williams over Chris Paul or Deron Williams. The Pistons picked Darko Milicic over Dwyane Wade.

lol @ D-Wade potential

my god

NBA Superstar

CLE can look really bad this year IF Tristan doesn't develop much, Valciunas balls in the NBA, and this pick looks like crap. i mean REALLY bad considering they made picks a lot of people didn't expect and a lot of their future rebuilding plans and what they could've had will be displayed this year. Its more tolerable if it was a expected known player pick at that slot and he busted.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Waiters will be pretty solid, he'll be an alright #4 pick in any other draft.

Local High School Star Joshumitsu's Avatar

2020: Kyrie Irving hosts the Decision part II.

I do like the Zeller pick though. Gets them a Sideshow Bob/Big Z replacement.

The Thompson pick last year was stupid and they compounded it by picking for need instead of best available because they had Thompson.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Joshumitsu
    2020: Kyrie Irving hosts the Decision part II.

I do like the Zeller pick though. Gets them a Sideshow Bob/Big Z replacement.

they're crazy if they let Varaejo go. he's one of the most underrated bigs in the league, and doesn't need the ball to impact games unlike most players. he's got to be the best hustle-heart rebounding big in the league.

Local High School Star

Byron Scott just interviewed locally and said that Dion Waiters is his pick. He told General Manager Chris Grant "if you get me this kid I will turn him into a player". You never really know the truth, and the popular coach may have taken one to release some heat. Scott also talked about the Thompson, Zeller, Varajo front court and was excited. He thinks with Kyrie and Waiters and these three athletic big men that the squad will be able to run much more than they have to date.

Quote Originally Posted by sixer6ad
    Byron Scott just interviewed locally and said that Dion Waiters is his pick. He told General Manager Chris Grant "if you get me this kid I will turn him into a player". You never really know the truth, and the popular coach may have taken one to release some heat. Scott also talked about the Thompson, Zeller, Varajo front court and was excited. He thinks with Kyrie and Waiters and these three athletic big men that the squad will be able to run much more than they have to date.
    I don't think any of those players are extremely atheletic, but all of them hustle and have very good motors. All of those big-men run teh floor like crazy. I watched some Zeller video and was impressed how he would run the floor ahead of the guards and get easy buckets.

I would be satisfied if he developed into like a 55%/13/10/1 a game center.

Local High School Star mrhoopfan's Avatar

Tristan T. is already more skilled offensively than tyrus Thomas. To be effectiive, Tyrus Thomas needed to play with a dominant low block scorer where it would allow him to get weak side boards and some 15 footers

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
    I currently work and attend grad school about 85 miles north of Yolo County.
    Chico State FTW