Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good college starter

Default Dumars Out The Door?

Joe is in the final year of his contract. Y'all think he' coming back?

Decent college freshman

Default Re: Dumars Out The Door?

He has to make the playoffs this year at the least, or so it seems. How the Smith and Jennings signings look in year one will be a big factor.

NBA lottery pick

There's only one reason Joe D went all in with the Smith and Jennings signings. The Pistons have been losing, the fans aren't patient enough, and now his butt is on the line. The best thing for the long term would've been to grab some decent guys on one year deals to fill out the roster. Then try to get one of these top rated guys coming into the draft next year. I still think he would've needed to make the Jennings trade. If you think about it though having Jennings, Monroe, Dre, and another young guy (maybe Parker or Wiggins....) the franchise could've been a contender for years. Right now we'll probably make the playoffs and that will save Joe D's job. The problem is we'll end up with a mediocre pick and it won't even be for this year because that's gone so it'll be next year. So we can't draft a guy to get us to the contending level. Now we have to do it through free agency or a trade. We have no cap space so it has to be a trade. This team is still a player away. Moving Monroe like everyone wants isn't necessarily the answer. The kid is super talented and everyone seems to think Harrison Barnes is equal value, lol. Anyway, to end my rant... He'll keep his job because the team is interesting now but we did really hurt our chances to compete at a championship level in the long run (unless Jennings and Drummond drastically improve and Smith manages to have an outside game which I don't see all of those things happening).

Decent college freshman

I don't think we are a player away. We'll have to fine tune the bench, but I think we potentially have our starting 5 for a long time. All are recent lottery picks except the one is a top 25-35 player in his prime. No way did I want another year of rebuilding. Makes no sense.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    I don't think we are a player away. We'll have to fine tune the bench, but I think we potentially have our starting 5 for a long time. All are recent lottery picks except the one is a top 25-35 player in his prime. No way did I want another year of rebuilding. Makes no sense.
    So you'd rather be stuck in mediocrity? Just fine tuning this bench doesn't make the current core a championship contender. It should be a good team, but not a contender right now.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

I don't think we are a new player away, I think we are a current player reaching his potential away. If Drummond turns into Dwight, we are a contender - for example... If KCP reaches his potential - we could contend... If Dre / Moose / Smith works out - we could contend.

There are a lot of ifs, no doubt, but our roster has the boom potential already here, just a matter IF they can all continue to grow as players and gel...

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    I don't think we are a new player away, I think we are a current player reaching his potential away. If Drummond turns into Dwight, we are a contender - for example... If KCP reaches his potential - we could contend... If Dre / Moose / Smith works out - we could contend.

There are a lot of ifs, no doubt, but our roster has the boom potential already here, just a matter IF they can all continue to grow as players and gel...
    I'll second this. We don't necessarily need another piece. We need the pieces we have to mature. As of right now, we have 4 picks under development that were in the top 10. We have pieces around these guys to build confidence and a winning culture. If they can keep building upon that confidence, I feel this team can contend for a championship.

But as Aussie said, there are a lot of ifs and no sure thing. This team can easily be mediocre, as well. I'm really hoping they do not move Moose. Watching these 3 bigs play together is a beautiful thing. I've loved the ball movement they've had between each other. And Jennings, although his first game back, needs to learn how to use his bigs in a much more effective way. It was horrifying watching him play today. The game moved much more fluidly when Bynum was running the point the previous games.

NBA lottery pick

It looks like Joe D is definitely done.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...artner=ya5nbcs

[QUOTE]sources do not expect Dumars to stay in the position much longer

Any potential replacment GM's out there that you would want / can think of?...

Charles Barkely has always said he wants to be a GM one day............................................... ......... haha, atleast it would be entertaining!

NBA lottery pick

Phil Jackson would be my choice. He already has a relationship with Gores. If Jackson turns down the Knicks it seems like Detroit would be a good place for him to go to.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Phil Jackson would be my choice. He already has a relationship with Gores. If Jackson turns down the Knicks it seems like Detroit would be a good place for him to go to.
    Damn

lol. I think there would have been zero chance of Phil going to Detroit. To advise on a temporary basis, maybe. To live here after living in LA, veeeeerrrryyy wishful thinking lol.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by ZMonkey11
    lol. I think there would have been zero chance of Phil going to Detroit. To advise on a temporary basis, maybe. To live here after living in LA, veeeeerrrryyy wishful thinking lol.
    I actually think there would have been a chance. Think about it, it took the Knicks about 3 months of courting him to get him to go there. Not to mention he's making as much money as a franchise player. I think if the Pistons would have done the same there would have been a good chance. Actually a lot of teams should have done the same. Jackson said he wanted back in the game (but in that sort of role). Even Jeanie was trying to get him to get back in the game in some kind of capacity. He already had a relationship with Gores. It's not a crazy thought. Anyway it can never happen now. At his age he'll finish with the Knicks.

Any thoughts on who you would like to go after?

Phil Jackson was also a New York Knick in his playing days and won championships there.

I couldn't tell you who I would want in the front office. This team is a mess. And the two biggest culprits are the big contract players we signed at the beginning of this year.

NBA lottery pick

It's going to be a longer road to being good than we thought. Dumars had cap space and signed BG and CV. It didn't work out. When we finally got cap space again he signed Josh Smith. At least Smith is a good player though. It's not going to work out again.... Right now we at least have that asset to trade. I feel like even though Smith makes 13 million per season it's not a bad deal for his talent. There's going to be teams that miss out on big name FA's over the next few years and will be looking for a good player. I think he's tradeable to a team with cap space. We have to cross our fingers that's the plan.

We also need to hope the Pistons lose every game for the rest of the season. The past 3-4 years they've went on winning streaks at the end of the season and it really screwed up our draft order. This year if we don't finish with that #8 pick locked up it goes to Charlotte. That would be a huge blow to our franchise. Not a smart move trading away a potential starter for BG. We really need that pick this year. As bad as it sounds I hope they don't win. I'd love to see the Pistons get a good SF or another solid guard. Next year Charlotte can have the pick.