Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Krust Kingz

Default Re: Natural Dreadlocks

I grew my hair naturally into locks...
    It was one of the strongest character building experiences in my life....
    Your hair goes through so many stages...
    To wash and not comb brush your hair is a challenge. I played football at the time and it even took longer to lock and it would look so crazy....

Last edited by enayes; 10-06-2008 at 12:58 PM.

I use Dr.Bronners tea tree bar soap. Its organic and works really well, I have just started my journey, wish me luck.

i just wondering do most football nfl and college have natural dreadlocks or are they fake cause like nobody had them last year and this year everybody has them that plays football

any answers

There probably real but they are backcombed, which is differently then growing natural locks.

My son started growing dreads about 4 months ago. This was his 3rd attempt at growing them.

I wasn't very happy about it, but hey he's a grown man what can I do. However he came over the other day and they are starting to look really good now. They are about 8 inches long so far. He shampoos his hair everyday, with some dread shampoo he found. He doesn't put anything else in it, no wax or anything. His girlfriend re-twists them about once a month.

I have a girlfriend that started growing hers when she turned 50. She turned 55 on Sept 17 and they are as long as some of the pictures posted. She goes to the shop and gets her re-twisted once a month also.

I don't like people like lil Wayne who just lets them grow and look horrible.

Getting them re-twisted REALLY helps the look and keeps them individual, if you dont they just mat up together and that's when they look nasty (IMO).

My friends as well as my sons look good (imo) because you can still see their scalp and each individual dread.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker4Lyfe
    My son started growing dreads about 4 months ago. This was his 3rd attempt at growing them.

I wasn't very happy about it, but hey he's a grown man what can I do. However he came over the other day and they are starting to look really good now. They are about 8 inches long so far. He shampoos his hair everyday, with some dread shampoo he found. He doesn't put anything else in it, no wax or anything. His girlfriend re-twists them about once a month.

I have a girlfriend that started growing hers when she turned 50. She turned 55 on Sept 17 and they are as long as some of the pictures posted. She goes to the shop and gets her re-twisted once a month also.

I don't like people like lil Wayne who just lets them grow and look horrible.

Getting them re-twisted REALLY helps the look and keeps them individual, if you dont they just mat up together and that's when they look nasty (IMO).

My friends as well as my sons look good (imo) because you can still see their scalp and each individual dread.
    It sounds like your son and girlfriend both had their hair sectioned off and backcombed into dreads. That is one way to get dreadlocks, but true dreads are grown not made. I want my hair to do whatever it wants to do, I don't like the sectioned look where you can tell their not natural. But to each his own, I hope to have natural locks one day.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    Those are not dreads. Those are just a mess. Ugly.

Local High School Star

That's disgusting. Dreads are nasty dude. Most hot girls don't like them, fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by mhg88
    That's disgusting. Dreads are nasty dude. Most hot girls don't like them, fyi.

Getting girls to like me is not my main concern.
    We are who we choose to be.

Local High School Star

Getting girls to like me is not my main concern.
    We are who we choose to be.
    Alright. Just thought it would be something to consider before growing a rat's nest on your head. My buddy tried it and looked like a hippy stoner. He ended up shaving them off because they gave people the wrong impression, and they started itching like a bastard.

It sounds like your son and girlfriend both had their hair sectioned off and backcombed into dreads. That is one way to get dreadlocks, but true dreads are grown not made. I want my hair to do whatever it wants to do, I don't like the sectioned look where you can tell their not natural. But to each his own, I hope to have natural locks one day.
    I don't understand what you mean by "natural"? Please explain that to me. Both of them appear to be very "natural" to me. I honestly don't believe that just not combing your hair is considered "dreads" but as you said to each his own.

What does "backcombed" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Laker4Lyfe
    I don't understand what you mean by "natural"? Please explain that to me. Both of them appear to be very "natural" to me. I honestly don't believe that just not combing your hair is considered "dreads" but as you said to each his own.

What does "backcombed" mean?

Everyone's hair would naturally knot and form dreadlocks over time if they just let it happen."Natural" dreadlocks are ones that you didn't really do anything to get them,this does NOT mean that you don't wash your hair and just let it look like crap though. CLEAN hair knots faster and your supposed to wash at least twice a week or more. All you do for natural dreads is never brush your hair or run your fingers through it and wash with a residue-free organic soap(like Dr.Bronners),thats it and you just let your hair form how it wants to without forcing the idea of dreads upon it.

Backcombing is when you MAKE your hair into dreadlocks. You section off the hair, usually in about 1inch by 1inch squares and then you backcomb the hair towards the scalp forcing it to knot up. If your hair is long enough it will look like dreads right after you do this but they do take time to mature.

But by doing this your completely taking away any chance of your hair having a unique natural look. Dreadlocks take time to grow and no products need to be used.