Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I rule the local playground b.jerk's Avatar

Default Re: Israeli Basketball

Ramat Gan beat Maccabi Tel Aviv today, the game wasn't even competitive. On the court the israelies were the aggressors, Fizer, Sharp, Cummings, Garcia, Blumenthal and Morris were easily controlled by Ramat Gan. Maccabi played poor defense, especially by Sharp and Blumenthal. If I were Maccabi I would take the team in the new direction and release Sharp, Sherf, Blumenthal, and Moshe Fanan. I don't believe Kattash is the problem, I believe many of the bad coaching decisions like playing Garcia and Blumenthal and benching Casspi and Eliyahu were made by management and Sherf and not Kattash. Maccabi needs a coach that knows how to develop israeli basketball players and Kattash knows how to. Israeli basketball has come a long way and what worked in the past isn't good enough to win anymore.

Good High School Starter la bomba's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by b.jerk
    Ramat Gan beat Maccabi Tel Aviv today, the game wasn't even competitive. On the court the israelies were the aggressors, Fizer, Sharp, Cummings, Garcia, Blumenthal and Morris were easily controlled by Ramat Gan. Maccabi played poor defense, especially by Sharp and Blumenthal. If I were Maccabi I would take the team in the new direction and release Sharp, Sherf, Blumenthal, and Moshe Fanan. I don't believe Kattash is the problem, I believe many of the bad coaching decisions like playing Garcia and Blumenthal and benching Casspi and Eliyahu were made by management and Sherf and not Kattash. Maccabi needs a coach that knows how to develop israeli basketball players and Kattash knows how to. Israeli basketball has come a long way and what worked in the past isn't good enough to win anymore.
    bye bye Kattash.

Quote Originally Posted by la bomba
    bye bye Kattash.
    Is it just me or does Sherf always have blood shoot eyes, sweating and shaking and am I the only person that thought Sherf looked like he blackout at the sidelines during the eurobasket. I really believe maccabi made a huge mistake replacing Kattash with Sherf. Maccabi built itself around statistical compilers and they're going to struggle against the "wild west", "commando" and "mercenary" style of the israeli basketball teams. Neven Spahija is a great coach and he struggled against israeli team last year. Maccabi fired Kattash because it was easier than making the tough decisions and transition of today's era. It was a mistake of the magnitude of Hapoel Tel Aviv and maybe the first mistakes of several more big mistakes.

Is it just me or does Sherf always have blood shoot eyes, sweating and shaking and am I the only person that thought Sherf looked like he blackout at the sidelines during the eurobasket. I really believe maccabi made a huge mistake replacing Kattash with Sherf. Maccabi built itself around statistical compilers and they're going to struggle against the "wild west", "commando" and "mercenary" style of the israeli basketball teams. Neven Spahija is a great coach and he struggled against israeli team last year. Maccabi fired Kattash because it was easier than making the tough decisions and transition of today's era. It was a mistake of the magnitude of Hapoel Tel Aviv and maybe the first mistakes of several more big mistakes.
    spahija struggled but they still won the league!He is now in a much more competitive league and really finding it hard.5th in the ACB.
    Maccabi will regain themselves when Vujcic is back.Anyone think Maccabi won't win the israeli league this year?

spahija struggled but they still won the league!He is now in a much more competitive league and really finding it hard.5th in the ACB.
    Maccabi will regain themselves when Vujcic is back.Anyone think Maccabi won't win the israeli league this year?
    2 games behind first early in the season and qualifying for the second stage early isn't what I would call struggling. Nikola Vujcic is an offensive genius but there's a reason he's doesn't have a nba contract. Vujcic is known to give up more than his fair share of points on defense.

2 games behind first early in the season and qualifying for the second stage early isn't what I would call struggling. Nikola Vujcic is an offensive genius but there's a reason he's doesn't have a nba contract. Vujcic is known to give up more than his fair share of points on defense.
    Could it not be that maybe he is not that interested in the NBA?genuine question.Or maybe the NBA don't need players of his qualities as their game is slightly different.Look at Smodis he is tremendous too,and a strong defender,yet he is nearly 30 and hasn't been to the nba either.Bodiroga never went and jasikevicius went late,maybe some players have some sense and don't see the attractiveness of going there.

every league is going to have lesser teams,they can't all be contenders,but no league has more contenders than ACB.You say that the lower half is poor.well Barca have lost to Cajasol and Menorca both in the bottom 6.Barca are 4th with 4 defeats.Bilbao are first,they have lost only 3 games.1 of them against murcia who are 11th.TAU have lost one of their matches to Manresa who are in 15th place.So to say that the lower half can't beat the top half is totally false.
    I have a great deal of respect for the israeli league and their national team,they overachieve for such a small nation,and they truely love their basketball.But it would be foolish to say their league is anywhere near the top leagues in the med.
    I never said they were near the level of the ACB, Greece or the Adriatic league but if Israel added another euroleague team which the country has the talent for they wouldn't be the favorite but would be a consideration. Israel's basketball culture has the aggressiveness, fearlessness and meanness that other countries don't. Maccabi didn't give their last three domestic loses away bnei hasharon, hapoel holon and Ramat Gan took them.

Saw maccabi play today and even if they won they didn't look that great. Maccabi is out of touch and for a team that depends of public funds it will be an issue in the future.
    Last edited by b.jerk; 01-03-2008 at 05:20 PM.

I never said they were near the level of the ACB, Greece or the Adriatic league but if Israel added another euroleague team which the country has the talent for they wouldn't be the favorite but would be a consideration. Israel's basketball culture has the aggressiveness, fearlessness and meanness that other countries don't. Maccabi didn't give their last three domestic loses away bnei hasharon, hapoel holon and Ramat Gan took them.

Saw maccabi play today and even if they won they didn't look that great. Maccabi is out of touch and for a team that depends of public funds it will be an issue in the future.
    Thats an interesting comment about the public funds.Is that why non-maccabi fans dislike them so much?Is there resentment that they get helped by the state?and why is this allowed?
    I don't know about having two israeli teams in euroleague at the moment,however it can't be worse than having two french teams!I mean Le mans are a disgrace,and chorale roanne are only half decent because of Salyers!I hope this will get the euroleague thinking and down their quota to 1!

Thats an interesting comment about the public funds.Is that why non-maccabi fans dislike them so much?Is there resentment that they get helped by the state?and why is this allowed?
    I don't know about having two israeli teams in euroleague at the moment,however it can't be worse than having two french teams!I mean Le mans are a disgrace,and chorale roanne are only half decent because of Salyers!I hope this will get the euroleague thinking and down their quota to 1!
    The beauty of the euroleague is the worst teams will be regulated. Maccabi's problem is that it has domestic players good enough to win games in the euroleague but the management chooses to bench them for foreign players. Those foreign players are paid millions with public funds by the public television station and the money would be more efficiently used divided equally amongst the domestic teams. If you watch Maccabi you don't see the speed and really the artistic way the israelies play the game and it's more fun to watch the smaller teams play than maccabi. Maccabi has had a lot of bad press recently and the team looks out of touch and for first time the majority favors maccabi's domestic competition over Maccabi. Marcus Fizer, Derek Sharp, David Blumenthal believe Maccabi lost because they weren't motivated by Oded Kattash and the team can win by flipping a switch. The truth is Maccabi isn't as good as they believe they are and when israelies play efficient, fast and physical Maccabi will likely loose. Maccabi isn't done being blowout domestically this year, if anything they'll look worse with their new and likely alcoholic coach.
    Last edited by b.jerk; 01-04-2008 at 05:25 AM.

Will Bynum along with Cummings was arrested last night. He approached a mother at a bar and asked her for sex, her husband intervened. Bynum then sucker punched him in his face after the sucker punch the husband kicked Bynum ass. Cummings and Bynum withdrew into maccabi owned car with a hostile crowd taunting them and trashing their car. Bynum then drove the maccabi owned car into the crowd and running over the 22 year old deejay and I'm not joking than tried to allude the police. The Police caught Bynum and Cummings, arrested him and two Maccabi players are suspects for attempted murder with a vehicle, assault and disorderly conduct. Worse the new coach of Maccabi, Sherf was too drunk to visit the arrested players at the police station and the team owner is trying to justify their actions. Maccabi has so many problems israeli players are refusing to sign to maccabi, their best two prospects Omri Casspi and Lior Eliyahu are unhappy at maccabi and can leave maccabi next year, the foreign players are being blown out by it's domestic rivals and the public views the franchise as out of touch and supports the withdrawl public funds from the team.
    Last edited by b.jerk; 01-05-2008 at 01:11 PM.

Will Bynum along with Cummings was arrested last night. He approached a mother at a bar and asked her for sex, her husband intervened. Bynum then sucker punched him in his face after the sucker punch the husband kicked Bynum ass. Cummings and Bynum withdrew into maccabi owned car with a hostile crowd taunting them and trashing their car. Bynum then drove the maccabi owned car into the crowd and running over the 22 year old deejay and I'm not joking than tried to allude the police. The Police caught Bynum and Cummings, arrested him and two Maccabi players are suspects for attempted murder with a vehicle, assault and disorderly conduct. Worse the new coach of Maccabi, Sherf was too drunk to visit the arrested players at the police station and the team owner is trying to justify their actions. Maccabi has so many problems israeli players are refusing to sign to maccabi, their best two prospects Omri Casspi and Lior Eliyahu are unhappy at maccabi and can leave maccabi next year, the foreign players are being blown out by it's domestic rivals and the public views the franchise as out of touch and supports the withdrawl public funds from the team.
    Sounds like Bynum and cummings are in a lot of trouble!!We could finally see another team win the league in Israel?wow that would be refreshing.Yet in the Euroleague they went to efes and blew them out,with a great Morris.An israeli team feeling more pressure in tel aviv than in istanbul,thats bizarre.Maybe in Israel they should limit the amount of foreigners they can play like in the ACB?

Will Bynum is guilty of being an ass and getting his ass kicked by a pedestrian in a bar. But he isn't a criminal if his story is true and he's going to pay the price for being ass by spending his next five days in jail. I felt sorry for him after seeing the video of him under arrest at the police station.

I'm not for acb quotas, having fans more aware of the world because of basketball is a good thing.

I laughed but does the media have to video Will Bynum in handcuffs, foot chains and wearing a maccabi warm up. It isn't right to humiliate someone before a trial and before the investigation is even complete.

http://www.iba.org.il/media/?recorde...kadursal_Men-2
    If you want to watch today's maccabi's game.
    Last edited by b.jerk; 01-06-2008 at 04:32 PM.

Banned

the isrealie league has been real big lately. Some of the good college players that don't make it in the pros go to the Isreal league. E.G. Lee humprey
    Billy Thompson a great dunker who played in the aba played there too

Will Bynum is going to jail if the tel aviv police can prove he had prior intent to run over a pedestrian.

Youtube video of a typical fight for a youth basketball game in israel. It's a sin to like israeli basketball like football, rugby and tabloid journalism but I do.