Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: NBA 2K12 trading legends?

so rake, how does this work exactley? i dont understand all of this DLC stuff.

so do you just pay $10 and you get these player, but not the entire teams? can you trade these guys onto regular teams? or can you only use them in the playground game mode? or is there any actual info released by 2k at all?

also, any word on if/when the rookies will be added?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Nate Thurmond 1967 Warriors
    Connie Hawkins 1970 Suns
    David Thompson 1978 Nuggets
    World B. Free 1981 Warriors
    Adrian Dantley 1984 Jazz
    Bernard King 1984 Knicks
    Sleepy Floyd 1987 Warriors
    Kevin Johnson 1990 Suns
    Jamal Mashburn 2003 Hornets
    Bill Walton 1978 Trailblazers
    George Gervin 1979 Spurs
    Darryl Dawkins 1980 76ers
    Mark Aguirre 1984 Mavericks
    Sidney Moncrief 1985 Bucks
    Paul Pressey 1985 Bucks
    Bill Laimbeer 1985 Pistons
    Isiah Thomas 1985 Pistons
    Orlando Woolridge 1986 Bulls
    Dominique Wilkins 1986 Hawks
    Magic Johnson 1987 Lakers
    Larry Nance 1989 Cavaliers
    Clyde Drexler 1989 Trailblazers
    Patrick Ewing 1990 Knicks
    Tim Hardaway 1991 Warriors
    Chris Mullin 1991 Warriors
    Mitch Richmond 1991 Warriors
    Brad Daugherty 1992 Cavaliers
    Mark Price 1992 Cavaliers
    Joe Dumars 1993 Pistons
    David Robinson 1994 Spurs
    Vlade Divac 1995 Lakers
    Shawn Kemp 1996 Sonics
    Gary Payton 1996 Sonics
    Chris Webber 2001 Kings
    Sam Cassell 2002 Bucks
    Grant Hill 1997 Pistons
    Vince Carter 2001 Raptors
    Andre Miller 2002 Cavaliers
    Jason Kidd 2002 Nets
    Kobe Bryant 2003 Lakers
    Tracy McGrady 2003 Magic
    Tim Duncan 2003 Spurs
    Baron Davis 2004 Hornets
    Andrei Kirilenko 2004 Jazz
    Peja Stojakovic 2004 Kings
    Ron Artest 2004 Pacers
    Kevin Garnett 2004 Timberwolves
    Ray Allen 2005 Sonics
    Rashard Lewis 2005 Sonics
    Michael Redd 2006 Bucks
    Richard Hamilton 2006 Pistons
    Shawn Marion 2006 Suns
    Steve Nash 2006 Suns
    Jason Richardson 2006 Warriors
    Gilbert Arenas 2006 Wizards
    cant wait to play with these guys

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Well that sucks. One thing I like to do is rearrange the rosters so all the former players can be in the association mode. So you're saying this won't be possible with these players correct?
    You'll be able to do that with all the legends originally included in 2K12 on release. That means anyone from from the "Greatest" challenge mode. Any player from the '98 Bulls, '98 Lakers, '96 Sonics, '94 Nuggets, 71' Bucks, so on and so forth. So Wilt, Bill, MJ, Magic, Larry, Kurt Rambis, Dickey Simpkins and everyone else will be able to be moved from one team to another.

Details are fuzzy so far, but to this point it seems like the additional legends (found on the DLC released tomorrow) will only be available on DLC. There's a little confusion in that regard, but I haven't seen anything definitive stating they'd be able to be transferred to the actual game. This means players like Bob Cousy, Nate Thurmond, Wes Unseld, and Rick Barry will not be able to be used in the main game (unless someone figures out a way to hex edit them in).

Long story short, there will be a lot of legends available to slide around from team to team in 2K12. There's something like 34 classic teams in this year's game. So while the new guys (Alex English, Adrian Dantley, David Thompson) supposedly won't be in the real game, that still leaves a ton of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    so rake, how does this work exactley? i dont understand all of this DLC stuff.

so do you just pay $10 and you get these player, but not the entire teams? can you trade these guys onto regular teams? or can you only use them in the playground game mode? or is there any actual info released by 2k at all?

also, any word on if/when the rookies will be added?
    In this case, NBA2K12's downloadable content (DLC) is a new section of the game called the Legend's Showcase. It features numerous new games, ranging from 2-on-2, 3-on-3, 21, and H.O.R.S.E. It takes place at Times Square. It's almost like an NBA Street mode. Each game (2-on-2, 3-on-3, etc.) is actually a challenge where you pick a team of all-time greats and try to work your way up the ladder against other all-time greats. It looks like there will be an NBA Jam-like mode where you pick from the NBA's greatest all-time duos (LJ/Zo, MJ/Scottie, Shaq/Penny) and defeat other greatest duos. Completing each mode unlocks an ability in the real game such as free trading amongst all legends or using a classic player in Creating a Legend mode.

I don't know if you have the game, but if you don't, there are already 34 classic teams included in the actual 2K12 game (including the bonus '91 Warriors and '02 Kings). The full list can be seen here: http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/08/19...s-for-nba-2k12

All those players are already in the game. As I mentioned in response to guy's post, it seems the additional legends found on the DLC but not found on one of those 34 classic teams will not be available in the full game at this point (from what I've heard). That's just hearsay on my end though.

And yes, the rookies will in fact be included in NBA2K12. 2K must wait for them to officially sign with their club, then they're legally allowed to unlock them in the game (they're already made and prepared, just locked out from use due to legality issues). This is another shot in the dark, but I'd guess 2K will wait until a large chunk of the rookies have signed before providing an update. I'm not expecting them to send out an update every single time a rookie signs. Either way, if a rookie signs, they will be in 2K within the next month.

For 2K's official release on the DLC, the developer insight can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/notes/nba-2k...50376275802267
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-28-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Are they going to sell a new version of 2k12 with all the DLC's added? My US credit card expired..

3-time NBA All-Star

You'll be able to do that with all the legends originally included in 2K12 on release. That means anyone from from the "Greatest" challenge mode. Any player from the '98 Bulls, '98 Lakers, '96 Sonics, '94 Nuggets, 71' Bucks, so on and so forth. So Wilt, Bill, MJ, Magic, Larry, Kurt Rambis, Dickey Simpkins and everyone else will be able to be moved from one team to another.

Details are fuzzy so far, but to this point it seems like the additional legends (found on the DLC released tomorrow) will only be available on DLC. There's a little confusion in that regard, but I haven't seen anything definitive stating they'd be able to be transferred to the actual game. This means players like Bob Cousy, Nate Thurmond, Wes Unseld, and Rick Barry will not be able to be used in the main game (unless someone figures out a way to hex edit them in).

Long story short, there will be a lot of legends available to slide around from team to team in 2K12. There's something like 34 classic teams in this year's game. So while the new guys (Alex English, Adrian Dantley, David Thompson) supposedly won't be in the real game, that still leaves a ton of legends.
    Yes I know. I've already done that with the players from the greatest mode. And from what I'm hearing you will be able to trade the greatest mode players instead of having to work your way around it by exporting a team from season mode correct?

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Yes I know. I've already done that with the players from the greatest mode. And from what I'm hearing you will be able to trade the greatest mode players instead of having to work your way around it by exporting a team from season mode correct?
    My bad, man. I wasn't sure if you had the game or not. And yes, from what I'm hearing as well, it seems we'll be able to trade greatest mode players freely (as well as adding missing players to teams - like a created Nick Van Exel to the '98 Lakers).

From the developer insight:

Additionally, you’ll also have full roster control over all those NBA’s Greatest teams so you can bring them into Association mode, or edit, trade, and release players, you can do all that too.
    I really wish we could implement the new DLC legends into the actual game though. Some of the wording in the press releases has been confusing as to whether they're talking about the legends already in the game or the new ones added into the DLC. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll at least be hexable.

To be honest, even if the new legends don't find their way to the actual game, it's still going to be a trip using guys like '03 Ben Wallace and '87 Sleepy Floyd.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-28-2011 at 01:27 PM.

I don't know if you have the game, but if you don't, there are already 34 classic teams included in the actual 2K12 game (including the bonus '91 Warriors and '02 Kings). The full list can be seen here: http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/08/19...s-for-nba-2k12
    thats great thanks, one more thing though, whats the story with the 91 warriors and 02 kings? i have the game and have won all 15 of the 'greatest' games, but i havent seen anything about these two teams? how do you get them? did you need to pre-order the game?

Lol this is rediculous. Then I guarantee, all these new teams will be available in 2k13. Just another way to keep us on the hook. 60 bucks for an incomplete game.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    thats great thanks, one more thing though, whats the story with the 91 warriors and 02 kings? i have the game and have won all 15 of the 'greatest' games, but i havent seen anything about these two teams? how do you get them? did you need to pre-order the game?
    Unfortunately, the '91 Warriors and '02 Kings were only offered as a bonus to people who bought the game quickly upon release. I think it was a terribly shortsighted thing to pull off. I would have been very upset if I did not receive these two teams. However, there might be some rosters on 2KShare who have them. They'd have to take up two created team slots.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Lol this is rediculous. Then I guarantee, all these new teams will be available in 2k13. Just another way to keep us on the hook. 60 bucks for an incomplete game.
    Which new teams? The new legends? I agree, you're probably right. I really wish they could be moved over to the actual game this year. However, I'm trying to be optimistic about it. I mean, two years ago, I thought an NBA game would never have classic teams because it'd just be too expensive to secure anyone's rights (let alone Michael Jordan's).

Now though, after a year featuring 16-18 classic teams, 2K has nearly doubled that output in addition to adding more classic players to existing teams and paying closer attention to detail than I'd have ever expected. For instance, it would have been very easy to use the same John Salley for the Pistons and Bulls classic teams. Instead, end-of-bench Bulls John Salley is correctly bald and wearing glasses. Similarly, '89 Horace Grant is goggle-less.

So yeah, there's a lot of things in 2K12 to pick apart (particularly until the patch hits), but man, they did a lot of good too. Even if '01 VC and '03 T-Mac are never available for regular game use, we still get to choose from Wilt, Bill, Larry, Magic, LJ, MJ, Admiral, Frobe, two Shaq, Zo, Ewing, Olajuwon, two Abdul-Jabbars, and Oscar Robertson. 10 dollars to 2K for a new mode including a ton of new legends is a solid investment for me.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-28-2011 at 02:02 PM.

I don't really care for a lot of bonus nonsense. I just want to be able to use the legends in the regular game and be able to trade them. I'm not interested in playing horse or 4 on 4 in Times Square. This is starting to piss me off. I'm not someone who enjoys picking games apart but I don't like what I read from the developers. Why make stuff so limited? Even though I shouldn't have to, I'll pay the extra $10.00 if I can do what I want with the players. Jeez

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    I don't really care for a lot of bonus nonsense. I just want to be able to use the legends in the regular game and be able to trade them. I'm not interested in playing horse or 4 on 4 in Times Square. This is starting to piss me off. I'm not someone who enjoys picking games apart but I don't like what I read from the developers. Why make stuff so limited? Even though I shouldn't have to, I'll pay the extra $10.00 if I can do what I want with the players. Jeez
    I'm with you 100% on this one. There's certain things in life I'll take a stand for but this wasn't one of those things. As much as I hate the idea of paying $10 for the right to do something that was in the game last year, I still really want that ability, so I shelled out the $10. 2K won this round with me. I reason that they've done a great job of adding a ton of legends, so I look at the $10 as my contribution to their rights fees.

For those curious about the DLC (released this morning), it's pretty much what you imagined it'd be. It's a glorified street mode. It takes place in Times Square and there's essentially six modes: 2-on-2 Teammate Challenge, 3-on-3 Era Challenge, H.O.R.S.E., Pickup, 21, and Classic Quick Match.

I completed the 3-on-3 and 2-on-2 challenges this morning. They're nothing to write home about. They play the 2K12 soundtrack in the background (can be turned off), the announcer sounds like a poor man's Stuart Scott (which is saying something), and the players are all cell-shaded, which means they have a certain cartoonish look to them. I didn't mind the cell-shade, it took about 10 minutes to adjust but then I became used to the look.

The streetball gameplay includes some new dunks and dribbling moves. They're not game changers. The 2-on-2 and 3-on-3 can become relatively repetitive, particularly if you try to complete each mode in one sitting as I did this morning. Once you complete the 3-on-3 challenge, you open up the ability to access a lot of "current" classic players to use in Pickup games, H.O.R.S.E., and 21. This includes the players listed earlier in the thread. I admit it's fun and quite nostalgic to use the likes of '03 Tracy McGrady and '01 Vince Carter. Most jerseys and accessories appear to be on point with the exception of the Seattle Supersonics. Ricky Pierce and Ray Allen are both wearing inaccurate Seattle jerseys (Pierce wearing the '96 unis, Allen the '70's unis).

As has been mentioned earlier in the thread but is worth repeating, buying this DLC allows all classic teams in the main game to be fully editable. This means users will no longer have to use a funky work around to place Nick Van Exel on the '98 Lakers or Charles Barkley on the '85 Sixers. They'll merely have to find a CAP of each person on 2K Share, send them to the Free Agent pool, then sign them to their respective classic team.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-29-2011 at 06:36 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

I'm with you 100% on this one. There's certain things in life I'll take a stand for but this wasn't one of those things. As much as I hate the idea of paying $10 for the right to do something that was in the game last year, I still really want that ability, so I shelled out the $10. 2K won this round with me. I reason that they've done a great job of adding a ton of legends, so I look at the $10 as my contribution to their rights fees.

For those curious about the DLC (released this morning), it's pretty much what you imagined it'd be. It's a glorified street mode. It takes place in Times Square and there's essentially six modes: 2-on-2 Teammate Challenge, 3-on-3 Era Challenge, H.O.R.S.E., Pickup, 21, and Classic Quick Match.

I completed the 3-on-3 and 2-on-2 challenges this morning. They're nothing to write home about. They play the 2K12 soundtrack in the background (can be turned off), the announcer sounds like a poor man's Stuart Scott (which is saying something), and the players are all cell-shaded, which means they have a certain cartoonish look to them. I didn't mind the cell-shade, it took about 10 minutes to adjust but then I became used to the look.

The streetball gameplay includes some new dunks and dribbling moves. They're not game changers. The 2-on-2 and 3-on-3 can become relatively repetitive, particularly if you try to complete each mode in one sitting as I did this morning. Once you complete the 3-on-3 challenge, you open up the ability to access a lot of "current" classic players to use in Pickup games, H.O.R.S.E., and 21. This includes the players listed earlier in the thread. I admit it's fun and quite nostalgic to use the likes of '03 Tracy McGrady and '01 Vince Carter. Most jerseys and accessories appear to be on point with the exception of the Seattle Supersonics. Ricky Pierce and Ray Allen are both wearing inaccurate Seattle jerseys (Pierce wearing the '96 unis, Allen the '70's unis).

As has been mentioned earlier in the thread but is worth repeating, buying this DLC allows all classic teams in the main game to be fully editable. This means users will no longer have to use a funky work around to place Nick Van Exel on the '98 Lakers or Charles Barkley on the '85 Sixers. They'll merely have to find a CAP of each person on 2K Share, send them to the Free Agent pool, then sign them to their respective classic team.
    Just got it and played a pickup game. So younger current players like 03 T-Mac and 01 Carter can only be used after you complete the challenges? I was wondering about that cause none of the 00s players were in it. And it doesn't seem like there is any possibility of using them in the regular game.

I think its definitely worth the $10. Seriously, its almost like a completely different game and I haven't even accessed the current players or those players in their younger forms. It looks like there answer to EA's NBA Jam. I like the uniqueness with the cartoonish look.

Serious playground baller RobertdeMeijer's Avatar

Just asking to be sure: is the new DLC available for the PC?
    I'd love to tinker with all those legends, but preferably on my laptop.

3-time NBA All-Star

Okay so a weird issue is coming up for me after getting the Legends Showcase and I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. Please chime in, especially you Rake.

So I got the mode and beat the 3 on 3. Question came up in this thread if all the Legends Showcase players will be available in the regular mode. After I beat the 3 on 3, the rosters in the regular mode were all messed up when I go to manage roster. First of all, all the current players that are in the Legends Showcase become part of the regular rosters too even though they already were part of it and they replace lesser players. For example, Derrick Rose, Carlos Boozer, Luol Deng, and Joakim Noah replace Omer Asik, CJ Watson, Ronnie Brewer, and Keith Bogans, and then there's 2 of each of them. The same thing with classic teams that were already before in the regular mode.

Then there's other cases, where a classic player from the Showcase mode is inserted into the current team. For example, 2000 Shaq and 2003 Kobe are part of the current Lakers, and so is current Kobe.

Then there's other cases where if you go before the classic teams, there's all these duplicate teams i.e. Orlando Magic, Toronto Raptors, Minnesota Twolves, but in these cases it includes the players from the Showcase mode. For example, the Magic have 2003 T-Mac, Raptors have 2001 Vince, and Minny has 2004 KG, and then there's NO ONE ELSE on these teams, and they also have one of the "CREATE A TEAM" logos instead of the actual logo. They are just 1 player teams.

One time I tried to play with the Bulls with all these duplicate players. One time it froze right at the quick game, second time it worked and I played with two Derrick Roses at the same time but then I just quit after a few minutes. Another time I tried to go to those duplicate teams and I traded 2003 T-Mac to the current Magic and 2004 KG to the current T-Wolves. I then tried to play a quick game but once I got to the Magic the game froze again. I'm not sure if my PS3 is messed up, my game is messed up, or if this is a common problem. Its not that big of an issue because I can just reset roster and everything is fine, but after I reset roster, if I go back to the Legends Showcase mode and then exit back to the regular mode, all the rosters are updated the way I described.

Its an annoying issue and I'm also wondering does this mean I can actually use all those classic players in the regular mode and how can I fix this problem? Anyone else dealing with this?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Ive been wondering...

Where exactly are Tmac, Arenas, hill and so on? I got the DLC. I see none of them when i go to make a pickup game.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Ive been wondering...

Where exactly are Tmac, Arenas, hill and so on? I got the DLC. I see none of them when i go to make a pickup game.
    Press R. They are in a separate category. Oh and you have to win the 3 on 3 mode first.
    Last edited by guy; 12-06-2011 at 01:47 AM.