Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Default Re: Which Continent Has The Best Food

I am going to do this based on what was domesticated on each continent and its overall influence to world cuisine (as reflected by my tastes). Not considering things like fruit trees, but basic staples and key flavors.

Americas (lumping them all, as mesoamerica is classes as N Am in some disciplines and not in others)

maize
    beans
    squash (including pumpkins)
    tomatoes
    peppers (imagine thai or indian food without peppers)
    potatoes
    quinoa
    cassava
    peanut
    sunflower
    strawberry

Asia (excluding the middle east)
    Rice
    soy beans
    sugarcane
    onions (we will give them to you even though wild onions are cosmopolitan)

Africa
    Sorghum
    Millet
    Red rice
    melons (really shared with the levant)

Levant (middle east)
    wheat
    rye
    barley
    oats
    grapes
    lettuce

Europe
    Sugarbeets

Basically I would argue that the middleeast wins, simply because almost all of the booze I like is derived from grape sugars or barley/rye starches. Hard to argue with the impact of american domesticates on other cuisines though. Imagine ireland without the potato, lots of italian regions without the tomato, africa without maize and manioc, etc.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

oh yeah, forgot about vanilla and chocolate.

Asia is #1 hands down.
    #2 Europe
    Everything else

Asian food >

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LT Ice Cream
    1. Asia: Sushi, Korean BBQ, pho, fried rice, Thai, curry, etc.
    2. Mideast: Shawarma, falafel, hummus, kabobs, etc.
    3. North American: Burgers, fried chicken, burritos/tacos, soul food
    4. European: Worst in my opinion except for Italian. When I travelled Europe it was all sausages in Germany/Switzerland and ham and cheese in France. England doesn't even have a cuisine. Italy had fun and interesting food though.
    If your summation of french food is "ham and cheese" then you haven't had french food.

Quote Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
    Australia is dead last. We have a great mix of foods you can here in restaurants, but none of them are our own, we just haven't been around long enough as a (settled)country. Aboriginal food isn't very advanced (or particularly nice) Word to Wittchedy Grubs.
    We are last, but you can get some nice original things here. It is just very basic food - essentially throwing whatever regional meat you have on the BBQ such as fish or kangaroo.

Made that high school varsity squad Solidape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
    LOL what? Noone in Australia eats Spam.

I can't decide between Asian and Europe. Maybe slight edge to Asia since Indian is included.

Australia is dead last. We have a great mix of foods you can here in restaurants, but none of them are our own, we just haven't been around long enough as a (settled)country. Aboriginal food isn't very advanced (or particularly nice) Word to Wittchedy Grubs.
    Just what is aboriginal food anyways, there's gotta be something that tastes good, if there is one thing people have in common, its stuff that tastes good!

Most of the "Asian food" around these parts I'm sure is nothing close to authentic. So I say what most of us consider "Chinese" or "Thai" food is largely an American phenomenon and should really be considered North American food.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidape
    Just what is aboriginal food anyways, there's gotta be something that tastes good, if there is one thing people have in common, its stuff that tastes good!
    Usually their food is described as "bush tucker," so essentially it is whatever you can find or hunt and prepare in the bush. They probably have some decent food, but it doesn't seem like things you would order in a restaurant.

Oh the Bealsanity

Quote Originally Posted by embersyc
    Most of the "Asian food" around these parts I'm sure is nothing close to authentic. So I say what most of us consider "Chinese" or "Thai" food is largely an American phenomenon and should really be considered North American food.
    Very true. I wonder how many people have actually had real Chinese food. Its nothing like in America, except for Sweet and Sour pork that is. Just had some.... delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    damn I thought all of Africa was Eithiopia...interesting shit McFly, thx
    That culturally "I can't think beyond a 50 mile radius" mindset illuminates more than Bank of America Plaza.

LOL, I'm just messing with you PT. I'm pretty sure you were being sarcastic in your post.

I would be a bit worried if you were being serious though; almost as worried as we all should be for an adult living a little boy's (well, more like your typical small town white trash HS slut dropout aspiring to walk the red carpet *SNAP! SNAP! SNAPSNAP!* blinded by the flashing lights, signing autographs and later limo driver punches the gas to outrun the Paparazzi) dream. The only issue is, dude isn't a little boi, he's approaching 40.

It's my understanding you're a somewhat successful graphic gaming artist which is actually pretty cool; a highly desired type career for many of those interested in working in the "entertainment" industry; whether it's the medium of gaming, television, film or whatever. To each their own, but I give you props for recognizing your LEGIT talents and capitalizing accordingly. Whereas there's others who's personal assessment of themselves is unrealistic, as they relentlessly chase a pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorKid117
    Very true. I wonder how many people have actually had real Chinese food. Its nothing like in America, except for Sweet and Sour pork that is. Just had some.... delicious.
    Real Chinese food is actually better than Sweet n Sour Chicken, or General Tso's chicken, etc.

Having said that, I tried stinky tofu and that is one dish I do not wish to try again.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

I'll go with:

1. Asia

[QUOTE=andgar923]I'll go with:

1. Asia

South American... because of Peru

the most diverse cuisine ever.

Pasta, Fish, Meat. Vegetables, Potatoes, Soups, shits I can't even explain....

second Europe because of Italy.