Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Default How to improve your basketball confidence

I mean.. You might think that Im D1 talent looking at me while im shooting around. I am dunking, I have super fancy handles, I can hit 10/10 from 3pt land, I can break my friend ankles going one on one, Im looking like hakeem with my footwork... but when game time happens...
    I cant beat a center on a mismatch. I have 0 confidence in my handles. nada.
    I am always ready to shoot, pass, score in the post, but I just cant dribble for shit.

Even tho I can make it work magic during simple pick ups with friends, but other then that I suck. Not that I have any confidence issues during socializing or anything.

Maybe I dribble to soft. I just have to know how to make me feel superior to my opponent. To make him feel like "oh shit".

Default Re: look, I suck. How to be improve you confidence.

I think you have a clear case of A. playing against friends who aren't that good, and B. being out of your comfort zone.

It's a young person thing it fades with time.

BEAST

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    I mean.. You might think that Im D1 talent looking at me while im shooting around. I am dunking, I have super fancy handles, I can hit 10/10 from 3pt land, I can break my friend ankles going one on one, Im looking like hakeem with my footwork... but when game time happens...
    I cant beat a center on a mismatch. I have 0 confidence in my handles. nada.
    I am always ready to shoot, pass, score in the post, but I just cant dribble for shit.

Even tho I can make it work magic during simple pick ups with friends, but other then that I suck. Not that I have any confidence issues during socializing or anything.

Maybe I dribble to soft. I just have to know how to make me feel superior to my opponent. To make him feel like "oh shit".
    practice in game situations

go hard and fast when you work on your handles, you want to pound that ball to the point you are going to lose it

build in hesitation, change of speed, change of direction into your game

when the opponets see you are scared or inconfident of handling the ball, that's when they will press the F out of you and even trap you to cause a turn over.

for now, you have two choice, pass the damn ball to someone that can handle the rock or work on your handles

Dont play scared. Like mr beast said, once people notice you aren't confident or scared to turn it over, they are gonna start trapping you ever time they can.

I hate when people play like they are scared to **** up. I see people pass up open shots because they are scared to miss. Just be confident and act like you are the best player on the court.

alright. I can do this.

and no, my friends doesnt suck.

I had this exact problem when younger. I would become clumsy and lock up when playing. I was afraid to make mistakes.

One day I just told myself not to give a f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]ck. Fixed. Now I go hard, and nobody likes playing against me.

Banned

Default Re: How to improve your basketball confidence

i was like this when i played soccer, x10. i didn't even want the ball i was so nervous. i guess i just felt a lot more confident with basketball for some reason.

Alright, I have a month to get over myself. I promise myself to get over my handles! I NEED EM DAMMIT!
    I play starting PG for my university and I cant fvcking fail!

Before I play a game ( real or pickup basketball). I visualize myself that I am going to have a good game. I am already an 18 yrs. veteran (Starting playing at age 8). and I still got nervous.

And don't drink coffee or soft drinks before you play a game.

Local High School Star 2swift4u's Avatar

First of all I think you have to embrace the challenge rather than fear it.

Secondly it can also be helpful to play against better players. You might suck in those games but once you play against your usual opponents again you will feel more confident because everything will be a lot easier for you. Maybe the other way around works too, building your confidence by dominating a game against poor players.

Thanks both of you. Im spending playing ball everyday now now for at least 3h. I think week like that and I might turn myself over the problem.

BEAST

Quote Originally Posted by CeltsGarlic
    Thanks both of you. Im spending playing ball everyday now now for at least 3h. I think week like that and I might turn myself over the problem.

mind sharing what you are doing in that 3 hours?

if you are training, make sure you are going hard, do not just play pick up for 3 hrs straight every single day, it's rather useless because competition is not always good and you only get so much from it rather than working on your game.

Play with as many different dudes as you can, different parks, rec centres, ages, races, everything. You will improve.

Quote Originally Posted by mr beast
    mind sharing what you are doing in that 3 hours?

if you are training, make sure you are going hard, do not just play pick up for 3 hrs straight every single day, it's rather useless because competition is not always good and you only get so much from it rather than working on your game.
    Yep, mostly pick up. But if no one is there I just work on my handles trying to make all kinds of combos that are really tough, and just doing all this stuff while maintaining control of myself and the ball. I also like to create all crazy games , like Im dribbling doing all the stuff like I would if I were heavily defended and when car passes by (about every 15 secs) I pull up for a jumper. With the best foot placement possible tho, and not just jack up some fade away.

Or try to do moves from tutorials and shit Ive seen at home.

Dunking on everybody in the park

To improve basketball confidence:

Play against decent opposition that you are not familiar with.

Play with much better players than yourself -bit of a double edge sword here, as they can be so good it discourages you or it can make you better so when you play against your usual competition.

Practice, I mean do actual drills. Not playing pickup ball, over the years I found that pickup ball whilst fun doesn't do anything for my skill level. To actively improve, you have to practice.