Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: ISPs ready to crack down on piracy

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    It's not Verizon, it's the trackers that sniff your IP. Basically what happens is this...

You download a torrent
    While downloading the torrent you upload some of that torrent to other users
    A tracker logs your IP
    That tracker/sniffer finds out what your ISP is through your IP
    They contact your ISP and say "Hey, this SoB is downloading illegal shit through your service, please have them stop or we will pressure you harder."
    Your ISP sends you an email or letter usually about 3 times to tel you to stop

In all honesty the ISP doesn't care what you download, you're paying for their service, it's the fact that they are getting pressured from companies trying to protect the copyright laws.

some of this is true. BUT, some people are actually suing people who download torrents. They are getting people's information and then suiting them in large numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    switched to usenet last year. cant switch back to torrents
    i use astraweb ssl

Usenet is definitely the place to go if you want to get your content quick. Sunday night TV shows are up after 2 hours they are shown. Always max out your speed, don't have to rely on seeders.

Quote Originally Posted by irondarts
    My GF has had her internet shut off twice by her ISP (Century Link) because they got pressured, they told her if they get another complaint they will drop her service permanently, now she won't DL anything anymore. My provider (Cable One) doesn't give a shit though. Probably just depends on your provider.
    Lol everytime.i'm over at my friends house i download torrents through her wifi, she has century link as well. Although she's never received a complaint from them. We're in AZ too.

Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    switched to usenet last year. cant switch back to torrents
    i use astraweb ssl

The best part is your ISP has no clue what you're downloading.

Quote Originally Posted by abuC
    The best part is your ISP has no clue what you're downloading.
    why is that your biggest concern? they can get your info from other sources.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    As long as you have a VPN, which a lot of Usenet services offer, they can't see what you're downloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    As long as you have a VPN, which a lot of Usenet services offer, they can't see what you're downloading.
    Does whoever provides the VPN have access to the information?

The issue shouldn't be whether or not your ISP finds out...it should be whether or not I get sued and have to settle or hire counsel. Either course of action is going to cost several thousand dollars.

for those of you using usenet and for those of us ignorant to usenet, tell us a little more.

like one would where would one interested in such a thing go to register? how much does it cost? what type of things will be able to find there? would i be able to find british comedy shows on there? how does it work in general? do i have to wait on seeders to download stuff?

thank you greatly in advance.

Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME

Read up on how usenet works, they cannot see what I'm downloading, for all they know I'm a video editor and need to download 10-20gb files. If you cannot prove I'm downloading movies, you cannot pull my service.

They can't get my info from any sources, I'm on a VPN with SSL, good luck.

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

Private torrent sites FTW

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

So it sounds like I am safe continuing ripping music straight from Youtube. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    So it sounds like I am safe continuing ripping music straight from Youtube. Awesome.
    Ewww.

Copyright rulings like this are a great example of how big business uses the government to keep itself fat and rich. If music/movies wasn't able to be copyrighted, these movie and record studios would be seeing much skinnier checks by now, if not being altogether rendered obsolete in the new world of file sharing. But nope, go to the government, have them expand copyright legislation... and now you can sue your competitors, arrest their consumers, and hold back an entire industry from evolving and improving with modern technology. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by irondarts
    My GF has had her internet shut off twice by her ISP (Century Link) because they got pressured, they told her if they get another complaint they will drop her service permanently, now she won't DL anything anymore. My provider (Cable One) doesn't give a shit though. Probably just depends on your provider.
    right, you just have to get a different provider, one of the smaller companys perhaps.....

This won't completely stop pirating. Never under estimate young people. Kids are too smart. They will always circumvent security. It will scare enough people away from torrent sites. It's not going to stop modders from downloading Halo 4 a month early.