Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Default Re: Atheism vs. Theism

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    But if they read the bible and took it as gospel then that is ok?
    If they read it and find it to be false then no, it's not ok.

If they read it and find it to be true then it's ok.

What I am referring to are people that are in their teens and early 20's that think they know the truth of the universe and aren't open to spirituality, let alone God.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    If they read it and find it to be false then no, it's not ok.

If they read it and find it to be true then it's ok.

What I am referring to are people that are in their teens and early 20's that think they know the truth of the universe and aren't open to spirituality, let alone God.
    So if they read the bible and conclude that it is nonsense then that is unacceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by KingBeasley08
    What's the point in arguing? You aren't convincing anyone. That whole 'winner' shit is part of the problem. They take the whole argument like its a contest and come off as big losers. It is impossible to 'win' against a religious person
    There are various reasons people argue even if they know they won't convince the other side. One of the reasons I do it is because I want to see various points of view and different sides to things. If we all just sit back, say "agree to disagree" at the beginning and don't really discuss anything, then what's the point?

NBA Fan

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

God the original G meme is hilarious.

NBA Fan

Decent college freshman InfiniteBaskets's Avatar

I do think it's interesting that most message boards will have threads of Atheists VS Theists as opposed to Islam VS Christianity VS Buddhism VS Judaism.

I suppose part of this has to do with the US demographic having access to computers, but these threads would be vastly different if you had actual other religions chiming in.

Atheism vs. Theism is actually just Atheism vs. Christianity on here. Would the Christians on this site have a problem with Atheists rejecting Judaism for the same exact reason they reject Christianity, or would they tell them that their reasoning for theism rejection is inappropriate for all religions?

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    All Atheists generalize the behaviour and beliefs of religious people.
    Most theists obfuscate and equivocate to hide the contradictory nature of their moronic beliefs.

edit: oh yes, and why are theists counted as a united group when they spend more time reviling and killing each other than they do atheists?
    Last edited by Dresta; 03-04-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Regardless of when it was written, it was written by Isaac Newton.

You should read up on him. He has a Wikipedia page.
    Isaac Newton was a superstitious person living in an age of superstition. He also believed in the power of alchemy, do you believe that too?

Next...

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets
    I do think it's interesting that most message boards will have threads of Atheists VS Theists as opposed to Islam VS Christianity VS Buddhism VS Judaism.

I suppose part of this has to do with the US demographic having access to computers, but these threads would be vastly different if you had actual other religions chiming in.

Atheism vs. Theism is actually just Atheism vs. Christianity on here. Would the Christians on this site have a problem with Atheists rejecting Judaism for the same exact reason they reject Christianity, or would they tell them that their reasoning for theism rejection is inappropriate for all religions?
    I think it's Atheism versus Theism because it's far, far easier to come up with legitimate arguments for simply "a god could exist" than it is to argue for all the inane, nonsensical, contradicting ramblings in any of the particular holy books or particular religious doctrines.

Once you get down to the nitty gritty origins of any religion, whether you take Christianity or Islam or Judaism or Buddhism of whatever, it becomes pretty hard to defend the true merit and legitimacy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    I think it's Atheism versus Theism because it's far, far easier to come up with legitimate arguments for simply "a god could exist" than it is to argue for all the inane, nonsensical, contradicting ramblings in any of the particular holy books or particular religious doctrines.

Once you get down to the nitty gritty origins of any religion, whether you take Christianity or Islam or Judaism or Buddhism of whatever, it becomes pretty hard to defend the true merit and legitimacy of it.
    But in many cases that would be deism not theism, and deists would have more cause to ally with ateists than theists. It's that many people don't even know what their own position is in regard to God - which is why they're often vague and ambiguous. Still, there's a huge jump from believing in the need for a Creator, to thinking that this Creator has you in mind/talks to you/watches you etc.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dresta
    But in many cases that would be deism not theism, and deists would have more cause to ally with ateists than theists. It's that many people don't even know what their own position is in regard to God - which is why they're often vague and ambiguous. Still, there's a huge jump from believing in the need for a Creator, to thinking that this Creator has you in mind/talks to you/watches you etc.
    Wouldn't theists just be a broad subset of deists?

I think debates on religion between atheists and believers should be at the deistic level. That part of the picture needs to be confirmed before we can debate things at a theistic level.