Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadwood

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Deadwood

So stuck on my ass, I started going through the Deadwood series over the weekend. At the time it was released I didn't have HBO, but I've heard a lot of people praise the show over the years, so I figured it'd be a good time killer. They were right. I ripped through half the series, a season and a half, over the long weekend.

It really is outstanding. The dialogue is really really dense though. Probably not for everyone. But if you can muscle through it, it's a real gem. Al Swearegan is one of the better villians I can recall. And then giving him Powers Booth to play against adds a level of depth to the relationship the audience has with the character. And where I stand now, with annexation looming and the threat of revoking land holdings, it's interesting to see enemies starting to join together in the enemy of my enemy is my friend logic.

But along with everything else, I wanted to say that this has to be the most "That Guy" show ever. I suppose that's part of the deal with a show that's 8 years old or so, but it's still crazy. It's like every working character actor got together and decided to do a western. If you like TV, you'll see people from everywhere. Bit characters from True Blood, Sons of Anarchy, Treme, Dexter, guys you'll recognize from movies, and even a bunch more from USA shows that I don't watch. And even more if you're the type who picks up on smaller bit parts, 1-3 episode type stories in some of these shows, where these people play really good characters. Garet Dillahunt from Raising Hope actually plays two seperate characters.
    It's the most IMDBingest thing I think I've ever watched.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Deadwood

Not really a spoiler since it gives no real detail or anything....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Q7YRDL90E

^
    Among the realest conversations in tv history.

I've heard good things about it, but I never got around to actually watching it. I will give it a try. By the way, I recommend this british mini-series called Black Mirror. Really, really good.

Banned

I couldnt get through the first 30 min. It could have more to do with the mood I was in then the actual show. Its dialog leaves a lot to be desired and Ive never been a fan of rustic backwoods cowboy-like storylines. Plus I kept seeing Raylan Givens in there which was really throwing me off haha..

Im probably gonna revisit it when im in a more patient mood because the cast seems good and the main character is appealing.

That deep throated manly woman that looked like a lesbian butch really did a great job at annoying the hell out of me.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Not really a spoiler since it gives no real detail or anything....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Q7YRDL90E

^
    Among the realest conversations in tv history.

I just watched that scene last night. And it comes right off of Al being sick from Kidney Stones, so it was sort of a refreshing moment reminding you what an awesome character he is.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeN
    I couldnt get through the first 30 min. It could have more to do with the mood I was in then the actual show. Its dialog leaves a lot to be desired and Ive never been a fan of rustic backwoods cowboy-like storylines. Plus I kept seeing Raylan Givens in there which was really throwing me off haha..

Im probably gonna revisit it when im in a more patient mood because the cast seems good and the main character is appealing.

That deep throated manly woman that looked like a lesbian butch really did a great job at annoying the hell out of me.. lol

The Calamity Jane character is intensely annoying, and worse yet, I'm halfway through and haven't seen much her character has done that wouldn't have allowed her to be cut altogether. Although she did just get close with the black guy, so maybe that's her purpose. And her drinking being monitored by the Doctor could payoff. Otherwise her lone role was an obsessive protection over the dutch girl, that could've been handled by the Sons of Anarchy Sherriff if need be.

The Doctor by the way I immediately recognized as Worm Tongue from the Lord of The Rings movies, the guy who poisoned the Horse King by talking to him. But when I looked him up to confirm, I was shocked to find out he also played Billy B-b-b-b-babbitt in one of my favorite movies ever, Cuckoo's Nest.

   

great series, and i loved the factoid that the show started with authentic 1880's cuss words until the producers played it back, realised it sounded like yosemite sam from the bugs bunny cartoons, and said "ah screw it... then make them sound like all the other modern shows on cable... heavy on the f-bombs, please."

ya durn galoot!

but i'm a bit disappointed they never ended the series properly. after HBO ordered a short 4th season, the producers had worked out a compromise in which they would wrap it all up with a couple movie-length episodes. but then it got lost in limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    great series, and i loved the factoid that the show started with authentic 1880's cuss words until the producers played it back, realised it sounded like yosemite sam from the bugs bunny cartoons, and said "ah screw it... then make them sound like all the other modern shows on cable... heavy on the f-bombs, please."

ya durn galoot!

but i'm a bit disappointed they never ended the series properly. after HBO ordered a short 4th season, the producers had worked out a compromise in which they would wrap it all up with a couple movie-length episodes. but then it got lost in limbo.

No real ending will be disappointing for me.

The cussing is impressive. I was unaware that the term ********** went through such a renassaince.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    No real ending will be disappointing for me.

The cussing is impressive. I was unaware that the term ********** went through such a renassaince.
    "Cocksucking Celestials"

Love this show. Swearegen and EB Farnum are two of my favourite tv characters. Doc's great as well.

And yeah, it's impossible to watch the show and not say "Oh, I know that guy from somewhere! Who the fk is he!?"

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

What a great show. Such a shame that only three seasons were made before the cancellation. I'm on my second viewing in the last year.

Amazing show.

If anyone is looking for something to watch and they missed it the first time around -- like me -- jump on it... now.

Banned

great show. Rome is another under rated HBO show. Pity it got cancelled in the second season because they had to cramp in season 2 and 3 in to one season

shhhhhhh

Loved that series...

Going there next summer as part of our road trip to end all road trips... camping, moteling, fishing camping some more...

Carnivale is even better. Severely overlooked.

Banned

Nobody, and I mean, nobody gives an owl's hoot about what an old bald guy has to say about a show with an old bald guy.

Hey, so, this AV Club user (smart guy) did like a long post on the best shows in TV, ever, and Deadwood was in his top 3... didn't read too much to avoid possible spoilers, but I did catch him saying its a flawed show... why could/would that be?