Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Decent playground baller golddigger31's Avatar

Default Re: An image so moving and disturbing that it caused the photographer to commit suici

verrry interesting article. I think any normal human would shoo away the vulture, I don't know why there is so much speculation on that part, but the picture was quite a shot.

Default Re: An image so moving and disturbing that it caused the photographer to commit suicide.

I wouldn't dare shoo away a vulture. Of course i would shoo away if there is a life at stake but not for funz.

If that thing attacks u , u are in for some big trouble.

Decent playground baller golddigger31's Avatar

Default Re: An image so moving and disturbing that it caused the photographer to commit suici

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei89
    I wouldn't dare shoo away a vulture. Of course i would shoo away if there is a life at stake but not for funz.

If that thing attacks u , u are in for some big trouble.
    He did it to save the girl's life

Quote Originally Posted by golddigger31
    He did it to save the girl's life
    I know, i was just saying

Bol'd over

Default Re: An image so moving and disturbing that it caused the photographer to commit suicide.

I liked this letter in response to the photograph:

Comments: Kevin Carter took that picture of that little Sudanese girl and walked on to under a tree to calmly have a cigarette. Shit, I would have stomped that bird, picked up that baby, put her in my camera bag and gotten her to a hospital and then adopted her. But her little bones are laying in the Sundan sun bleached white by now.

That photo is why I believe that man keeps deluding himself in believing in a "God". There is no God. If there is and it could allow that to happen to such a sweet little innocent being it's a perverse and sick "God". The photo outrages me. We keep spending money on weapons, we keep electing men to power that are weak and feeble minded, we let millions of beings both human and animals suffer horrendously daily and look the other way.

I'm not a "nut" I'm just tired of the cruelty that stems from mankind's stupidity.

Claudia

Future D1 Dad

i thought there was a bit of a debate on whether or not he really decided to intervene and help the kid. powerful photo btw. being around this kind of stuff would take a toll on you at some point, maybe there are some that it wouldn't bother.

a damn vulture isn't going to attack you unless you're almost totally lifeless. i guarantee you could shoo away a group of vultures on the ground. they may not leave but they aren't going to fight an able human.

we have turkey vultures around here. i was driving up to my parent's place last summer and one flew right in front of my windshield. i could have plucked a feather off of it because it was so close. that was cool as shit.

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

I remember reading aobut this a while ago. For some reason i was under the impression that he didn't scare the bird off and the child died. I'm glad to hear that he at least scared the bird off. As far as picking up the child and 'rescuing' her, it's not that simple. This was not one little girl on her own. She was one of tens of thousands. I can see how something like this would eat away at someone for years. A bit like someone drowning and not reaching out a hand, not as direct, but you get the idea.

Picture really does say a thousand words, the events that must have had to happen to lead up to that image occuring would be devestating.

I remember a pic that I saw after the earthquake in Haitii that damn near had me in tears. A worker was throwing the bodies of dead babies onto a pile of other bodies. The difference of how the bodies were treated to if an infant were to die here, sort of illustrated the size of the tradgedy, and the differnece between my world and the one they live in. Really sad.

Future D1 Dad

Quote Originally Posted by SevereUpInHere
    I remember reading aobut this a while ago. For some reason i was under the impression that he didn't scare the bird off and the child died. I'm glad to hear that he at least scared the bird off. As far as picking up the child and 'rescuing' her, it's not that simple. This was not one little girl on her own. She was one of tens of thousands. I can see how something like this would eat away at someone for years. A bit like someone drowning and not reaching out a hand, not as direct, but you get the idea.

Picture really does say a thousand words, the events that must have had to happen to lead up to that image occuring would be devestating.

I remember a pic that I saw after the earthquake in Haitii that damn near had me in tears. A worker was throwing the bodies of dead babies onto a pile of other bodies. The difference of how the bodies were treated to if an infant were to die here, sort of illustrated the size of the tradgedy, and the differnece between my world and the one they live in. Really sad.
    i think they originally didn't say that he chased the bird away and helped the kid. what Manute posted says they did, but i don't believe it's true. i think they got some shit for it and then decided to put in an editor's note about it to calm people down.

the bodies in Haiti were rotting and needed buried. not saying tossing dead people around like mattresses is a good thing, but having them rot and potentially spread disease where they lay isn't helping a hell of a lot more people.

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    i think they originally didn't say that he chased the bird away and helped the kid. what Manute posted says they did, but i don't believe it's true. i think they got some shit for it and then decided to put in an editor's note about it to calm people down.

the bodies in Haiti were rotting and needed buried. not saying tossing dead people around like mattresses is a good thing, but having them rot and potentially spread disease where they lay isn't helping a hell of a lot more people.
    I have a feeling you're right about the first part, that maybe i was under the impression the photographer didnt do anything.

I totally understand that about burrying the bodies, it had to be done, but that sort of what i mean, I can't ever imagine something like that happening in my world. A child dies here, there will be a family mourning, a funeral. i guess it just upset me that this is how some peoples existance is. Born into poverty, die at the hands of a natural disaster, and then your body tossed onto a pile like a piece of rubbish. Really is a world of have and have-nots. I donated some money after seeing that pic. But it still probably made no difference. Makes me realize how lucky i am.

Future D1 Dad

I have a feeling you're right about the first part, that maybe i was under the impression the photographer didnt do anything.

I totally understand that about burrying the bodies, it had to be done, but that sort of what i mean, I can't ever imagine something like that happening in my world. A child dies here, there will be a family mourning, a funeral. i guess it just upset me that this is how some peoples existance is. Born into poverty, die at the hands of a natural disaster, and then your body tossed onto a pile like a piece of rubbish. Really is a world of have and have-nots. I donated some money after seeing that pic. But it still probably made no difference. Makes me realize how lucky i am.
    parts of Africa still have people who don't know/understand/or have means of contraception. they keep banging and popping out kids when there's not enough food around. they just don't know any better.

Knowledge Is Power shortlunatic's Avatar

Of course it made a difference man, don't think like that. You'll be surprised how cheap it is feed a mouth, especially since its not like they provide them with gourmet steak or anything. Just don't look at in the perspective that there are millions out there dying. Look at it as you donated what you could, and it helped someone who needed it. Just because you don't get to see that person enjoying the food and living a little longer doesn't mean it didn't happen. And just because you can't save them all doesn't mean your effort to save one will go unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    parts of Africa still have people who don't know/understand/or have means of contraception. they keep banging and popping out kids when there's not enough food around. they just don't know any better.

I know, it's crazy how sheltered we are from the rest of the world. I've done my fair share of travelling so i've seen it first hand but it's something you need to remind yourself of when something as small as getting bird sh!t on your car pisses you off. Things are infinitely better than they are for most of the rest of the people in the world.

Future D1 Dad

I know, it's crazy how sheltered we are from the rest of the world. I've done my fair share of travelling so i've seen it first hand but it's something you need to remind yourself of when something as small as getting bird sh!t on your car pisses you off. Things are infinitely better than they are for most of the rest of the people in the world.
    i like watching shows where they're in countries and you still see people going by what their village shaman says about curses and such. in a way, it's kinda neat that they're still like that but then again, u realize that they're just ignorant asses.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    i guess "moving and disturbing" is in the eye of the beholder.

personally, what makes me disturbed and sad is seeing the number of animals and habitats that continue to suffer badly at the hand of civilisation, all over the world.

i mean, we are in the middle of one of the greatest extinctions of biodiversity in the earth's history, during a time in which there are more human beings alive right now than have ever existed in previous history. and the numbers keep going up. as does our consumption of earth's resources.

so, yea... sorry for the hijack there. and although i have more sympathy for native peoples than i do for just about any other group of humans, the picture does not move me very much in all honesty. i've seen the roles reversed too many times, i guess...
    That is a great post, even if it is a bit harsh. I applaud you for thinking outside of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
    I liked this letter in response to the photograph:
    I find it interesting that people are angry at the bird.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    That is a great post, even if it is a bit harsh. I applaud you for thinking outside of the box.

I find it interesting that people are angry at the bird.
    I thought it was ridiculous people got angry at the bird. I understand its a moving picture that displays the type of despair that exist in the world that many of us try to block from our minds, but its a ****ing bird. Its operating on nothing but its animalistic instincts. People are so stupid. Instead of writing letters about being mad at the bird why not donate money or write a letter to the mayor/governor advocating an event to help starving children.