OKC
    Lakers
    Spurs
    Clippers
    Memphis
    Nuggets
    Timberwolves
    Mavericks

6-8 could happen in any order. This is a wild guess past the first 4.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Default Re: Predict the standings in the West

So if they Lakers don't win the west, it's not considered a disappointment?

If they majority of people think OKC will win the west then are they the favorites to represent the west in the finals?

So if the Lakers fail to even make it to the Finals is it a disappointment?

genuinely curious to get some opinions on this.

I assume the team people pick to win a conference is the team they think has the best chance to make it to the finals from that conference, but i feel like ISH will crash if the Lakers don't even make the finals. Am i wrong to think that?

Once, the Lakers got dwight & nash all i heard about was how stacked this team was and how Kobe "sucks" if they dont win it all.

So i guess im pretty suprised to see people picking OKC to finish 1 in the west, which i'm assuming mean those same people belive OKC are the favorite to come out of the west this year.

But i guess alot of people wouldnt be suprised if the Lakers didn't even make it to the finals??

I feel like no other team has as much pressure to win this year than the Lakers.

OKC is still young, so if they fail to win again this year its not like it's time to blow it up.
    Miami just won, a lot of pressure has been taken off & they wont be scrutinized as heavily if they fail to win it all IMO
    Spurs are old & declining nobody really expects them to win it all outside of their own fanbase (they are very dangerous though)
    Boston see spurs
    Last edited by TheMarkMadsen; 10-08-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    So if they Lakers don't win the west, it's not considered a disappointment?

If they majority of people think OKC will win the west then are they the favorites to represent the west in the finals?

So if the Lakers fail to even make it to the Finals is it a disappointment?

genuinely curious to get some opinions on this.

I assume the team people pick to win a conference is the team they think has the best chance to make it to the finals from that conference, but i feel like ISH will crash if the Lakers don't even make the finals. Am i wrong to think that?

Once, the Lakers got dwight & nash all i heard about was how stacked this team was and how Kobe "sucks" if they dont win it all.

So i guess im pretty suprised to see people picking OKC to finish 1 in the west, which i'm assuming mean those same people belive OKC are the favorite to come out of the west this year.
    This is people picking best record not who they think will win the west...

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    This is people picking best record not who they think will win the west...
    Isn't It usually assumed that the team predicted to win the conference are also the favorites to represent that conference in the finals?

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Isn't It usually assumed that the team predicted to win the conference are also the favorites to represent that conference in the finals?
    Not at all. How many times in the last decade did Mavs and Suns have best regular season record? Nobody expected them to beat Spurs or Lakers come deep playoffs. Not many expected Cavs to beat the Celtics either when they had best regular season record.

1. LAL - 65 wins
    Too good to get less than the best record and the title.

2. OKC - 60 wins
    Assumes they keep Harden and get the extension headache resolved

3. LAC - 53 wins
    Love the bench additions.. assuming LO shapes up as they need him

4. SAS - 52 wins
    Their demise has to start sooner or later, right?

5. MEM - 50 wins
    I don't think the loss of Mayo hurts much

6. DEN - 48 wins
    The win totals seem low, esp. for them, but the West is sooo deep.

7. MIN - 44 wins
    The biggest wildcard in the West

8. DAL - 44 wins
    The decline of Dirk seems to have started.. at least in the regular season

9. UTAH
    It's not as though they got worse, other teams just got/stayed better

10. GSW
    Their two best players are their two most injury prone at PG and C no less.

11. SAC
    My sleeper of sorts. They have to pull it together soon or later, right?

12.POR
    Hard to see a rookie PG and C helping this team to the playoffs.

13. PHO
    Interesting line-up but missing a SG and better depth.

14. NOH
    Check back in a few years

15. HOU
    Ummm..... yeah.

I actually like your list Charles. Most fair, logical one I've seen so far. No I'm not saying this cause you have Clippers 3rd but rather because of your 5-8 spots I agree with.

No, the % of teams who have the best record wins how many times? not many not in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    I actually like your list Charles. Most fair, logical one I've seen so far. No I'm not saying this cause you have Clippers 3rd but rather because of your 5-8 spots I agree with.
    Yeah.. those spots are tough as is the last spot.. can't tell who is worse.

But I have to admit I like the Clippers off-season. Very aggressive even if they didn't have to be as you can expect continued growth from Griffin and Jordan.

However, I think they need a definitive upgrade at SG/SF to be considered a contender or up there with OKC and LAL. They have a lot of nice pieces, but they are somewhat flawed.. either old (Billups/Hill), small (Billups/JC), don't play defense (JC) or just very average (JC/Butler). And like I mentioned LO is key. They need him in shape and mentally checked-in as they need his depth up front and experience. If he doesn't show up, then they need to get rid of him and find another big man to add to the rotation.

What's up with K-Mart btw? He seems like he could still have a role.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
    Yeah.. those spots are tough as is the last spot.. can't tell who is worse.

But I have to admit I like the Clippers off-season. Very aggressive even if they didn't have to be as you can expect continued growth from Griffin and Jordan.

However, I think they need a definitive upgrade at SG/SF to be considered a contender or up there with OKC and LAL. They have a lot of nice pieces, but they are somewhat flawed.. either old (Billups/Hill), small (Billups/JC), don't play defense (JC) or just very average (JC/Butler). And like I mentioned LO is key. They need him in shape and mentally checked-in as they need his depth up front and experience. If he doesn't show up, then they need to get rid of him and find another big man to add to the rotation.

What's up with K-Mart btw? He seems like he could still have a role.
    Un-signed. He wants a bigger role than anybody is going to give him apparently.

Un-signed. He wants a bigger role than anybody is going to give him apparently.
    Between him and Evans that is a lot of toughness lost up front.
    Hollins is as soft as cotton, Turiaff always injured and LO a big question mark. I would try to bring him back.

I forgot you guys also signed Barnes this off-season. Even more depth on the wings, but again I think you need to upgrade substantially at least one of the starters.

Not at all. How many times in the last decade did Mavs and Suns have best regular season record? Nobody expected them to beat Spurs or Lakers come deep playoffs. Not many expected Cavs to beat the Celtics either when they had best regular season record.

Ok yeah, but those same people predicting the mavs & the suns to win the conference weren't predicting them to lose anytime before the finals.

I realize that the #1 seed doesn't always make it to the finals..

But when you're making pre season PREDICTIONS on who will have the best record in the conference that's usually an indication of who you think has the best shot at making the finals and who you PREDICT/EXPECT to represent the conference in the finals.

Is it not?

So what your saying is that all these people picking okc to finish 1st in the west, don't believe that okc has the best shot at making the finals out of the west?
    Last edited by TheMarkMadsen; 10-08-2012 at 05:27 PM.

So what your saying is that all these people picking okc to finish 1st in the west, don't believe that okc has the best shot at making the finals out of the west?
    Some do yeah I'm sure...just like other will pick L.A.

Thunder are younger so getting best record will be more of a focus than it will for L.A. Just like the Spurs who got best record due to great depth.