Default Re: Favorite Documentaries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Cocaine Cowboys
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters
Man on Wire
Exit Through the Gift Shop
The Thin Blue

I haven't seen Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills, but I saw a show about what happened, and it's pretty ****ed up.

All of these are excellent. King of Kong is very entertaining, but probably plays some tricks with what actually happened.

The Thin Blue Line is fantastic as are virtually all Errol Morris's Documentaries.
He's developed a great visual style as well. His commercials for Full Tilt Poker are among the best on TV.

I particularly recommend

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara
Great and Philosophical Subject put under the lens by a Great and Philosophical Filmmaker.

Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr. This is a movie that start of as look at a wierdo who is sort of likeable and then switches to become something much bigger.

A Brief History of Time
The Thin Blue Line Actually got a guy off Death Row. The guy ended up suing the filmmakers for royalties. Life is wonderful, ain't it.
Gates of Heaven Such a weird wonderful movie. The great director, Werner Herzog, who made the aforementioned Grizzly Man (amazing) actually ate his shoe at the premiere of this movie. And Les Blank Made this movie about it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd6rUo7Htso

Morris met Herzog as a film student and they became friendly and he kept talking about this movie, Gates of Heaven, he was going to make about the pet cemetary business. Herzog got tired of hearing him just talk about it and not do it and said, "If you ever make a movie, I'll eat my shoe." And he kept his promise.

Another philosophical filmmaker is Charles Ferguson.

Inside Job his take on the Financial Crisis

No End in Sight
Amply and viscerally documents the many failures of planning and strategy of what to do in Iraq once we got there. You'll never look at Donald Rumsfeld again without wanting to throttle him after hearing the actual boots and suits on the ground talk about dealing with the fantasies coming out of Washington. It's fantastic in how it covers a vast amount of material in a very clear way, because each part of the film seeks to answer a particular big question about the way. It's kind of a miracle of structuring.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote