Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    National High School Star STelfair31's Avatar

Default How to get quicker,jump higher and work with your off hand

ANY TIPS that is all that i'm workin on this summer....I'm quick but i need to get quicker and will have to jump higher i'm 5'8 and i'ma have to work with the right hand its gettin better tho....

TIPS???

I usually hit open layups

Default Re: How to get quicker,jump higher and work with your off hand

learning how to use your offhand. Just use it. Play scrimmages against guys weaker than you and avoid using your first hand. For anything. Obviously, you gotta tell them that you're having this kinda training on purpose, or it'll look like you wanna just taunt them.

Speed and jump.

About speed and jumping:
    Let's focus better: do you want to gain speed on a dash, like on fastbreak or for a quick coast to coast, or speed moving during a penetration in the middle of the defense? Or speed as stamina for speed, and being able to resist a period of game at higher pace, full with fast breaks, fast penetration and run and gun, for .. say.. 10' at your highest? (Suns style).

Depending on which speed you're looking for, workouts differ in a great measure.
    Same for jumping: do you need reactivity for the rebound, more hang time on the penetration, or ability to increase your vertical reach to try and dunk when on the fastbreak nobody's following you?

And: how old are you, what's your weight, what's your height (in Kg and m, if you want to be kind.. :) )

for the speed bein quick to the hole
    jumping vert to dunk....

5'8
    130 lbs...

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by STelfair31
    jumping vert to dunk....

5'8
    130 lbs...

Dunking is overrated. Don't even worry about it trust me it doesn't make you anybetter, last I checked a dunk and a layup count as the same amount of points.

yea i kno i doesn't it is just another weapon...... and it changes the momentum...

Quote Originally Posted by STelfair31
    jumping vert to dunk....

5'8
    130 lbs...
    ok. I'll convert by myself.. 59 kg, 172 cm. You are skinny!

However.. I don't think you're gonna dunk in a while. What's your vertical reach, right now?
    You are young yet, and should still grow. By now:

- DO NOT use overweights. No calf raises with ankle-weights, no kind of squats with weights on your shoulder.

What you CAN do is:

Jump (knees to the chest).. between obstacles of various height (depending on your level).. 50 to 80 cm max... if you can get ahold of some obstacles, obviously (distance bween obs.. 3 feet)...

Run and Jump: on the short side of the court... run from side to side, ten jumps standing on place, knees to the chest, repeat 3 to 5 times.

Rope: lotsa rope. Hard, movin' your feet with or without order.. one-leg, while running, while skipping, while running sideways.. always roping.

Run Uphill: find a very steep street on a hill, and run dashes up hill. This is the bast training for young athletes to enhance their strenght and speed.. it also helps to improve the running technique quality.

Stairs: in a recent thread there's some tips for exercises to be executed on the stairs of a gym. Check it out.

There would be also an exercise I don't know how to translate, but it's technically a bit difficult, and you can get minor injuries executing it uncorrectly, so better not.

What you SHOULD do

Wait patiently for your growth spurt.. that'll come in a few years. Your body has weaker parts, slower to grow than bones and muscles, and you should not stress it when it's "busy" with the growing thing. It would not (please understand this, anyone who reads) STUNT anybody's growth. It causes minor or major injuries, but it does not "Make dwarfs"
    However.. back to us.. wait for the spurt, and learn how to play and how to move. You'll have plenty of time to become stronger and faster.. But NOW is the best time to Learn how to do things well.. Shoot, pass, dribble with the off hand, take care to learn to watch the game and to think about the game while dribbling and not losing the ball. Learn movements, depending on which role you play, but also other roles' moves, 'cause nobody knows how tall you'll be in the end, or if you couldn't be a six foot eight inches point guard, or a SG able to show some pivot moves... the more abilities you gain on the field, the best it'll be for you, your team and your coach. Understand the game. Learn defense.
    Learn learn learn. I know it's harder.. everybody knows how to put some iron on a bar and smash his ass (italian gergal expression) with lifts and overweights.. you just need some spare time and a gym. But if you learn what to do with any strenght you'll be given when you'll be 20.. you'll be such a better player. So learn what to do around the court (tactics, defenses and offenses.. how to move inside them).. but learn also how to move inside your personal space.. how to gain space for a shot, where to put your hands and how to move when you pass, how to roll both sides, while running or from standing, learn the step and shot.. these abilities are not only tactical, or mental, they require a great deal of coordination and body control. If you don't gain body control now, and instead become strong as a bull, you'll never know how to use your strenght.. Instead, if you learn how to move now, and build up slowly your strenght, you'll eventually become a bull that knows how to dance. And that's not something your opponent will like to face.

Gimkana: something like the dribbling contest at the ASG.. with or without ball. Put some marks on the court, some obstacles, some signs.. things. Then start, balling or not... get to the marks and touch them with the hand, (both hands, or always with right hand would be great.. 'coz it'll become a job for the offhand too if you have the ball).. jump over the obstacles.. and repeat a few times, trying to be always faster. Speed is what you're improving, so don't forget to run.. seriously... like on a dash. And learn to keep your eyes up.
    Last edited by orfeomorfeo-ita; 04-25-2007 at 04:15 PM.

thanks i'll use this...

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by orfeomorfeo-ita
    ok. I'll convert by myself.. 59 kg, 172 cm. You are skinny!

However.. I don't think you're gonna dunk in a while. What's your vertical reach, right now?
    You are young yet, and should still grow. By now:

- DO NOT use overweights. No calf raises with ankle-weights, no kind of squats with weights on your shoulder.

What you CAN do is:

Jump (knees to the chest).. between obstacles of various height (depending on your level).. 50 to 80 cm max... if you can get ahold of some obstacles, obviously (distance bween obs.. 3 feet)...

Run and Jump: on the short side of the court... run from side to side, ten jumps standing on place, knees to the chest, repeat 3 to 5 times.

Rope: lotsa rope. Hard, movin' your feet with or without order.. one-leg, while running, while skipping, while running sideways.. always roping.

Run Uphill: find a very steep street on a hill, and run dashes up hill. This is the bast training for young athletes to enhance their strenght and speed.. it also helps to improve the running technique quality.

Stairs: in a recent thread there's some tips for exercises to be executed on the stairs of a gym. Check it out.

There would be also an exercise I don't know how to translate, but it's technically a bit difficult, and you can get minor injuries executing it uncorrectly, so better not.

What you SHOULD do

Wait patiently for your growth spurt.. that'll come in a few years. Your body has weaker parts, slower to grow than bones and muscles, and you should not stress it when it's "busy" with the growing thing. It would not (please understand this, anyone who reads) STUNT anybody's growth. It causes minor or major injuries, but it does not "Make dwarfs"
    However.. back to us.. wait for the spurt, and learn how to play and how to move. You'll have plenty of time to become stronger and faster.. But NOW is the best time to Learn how to do things well.. Shoot, pass, dribble with the off hand, take care to learn to watch the game and to think about the game while dribbling and not losing the ball. Learn movements, depending on which role you play, but also other roles' moves, 'cause nobody knows how tall you'll be in the end, or if you couldn't be a six foot eight inches point guard, or a SG able to show some pivot moves... the more abilities you gain on the field, the best it'll be for you, your team and your coach. Understand the game. Learn defense.
    Learn learn learn. I know it's harder.. everybody knows how to put some iron on a bar and smash his ass (italian gergal expression) with lifts and overweights.. you just need some spare time and a gym. But if you learn what to do with any strenght you'll be given when you'll be 20.. you'll be such a better player. So learn what to do around the court (tactics, defenses and offenses.. how to move inside them).. but learn also how to move inside your personal space.. how to gain space for a shot, where to put your hands and how to move when you pass, how to roll both sides, while running or from standing, learn the step and shot.. these abilities are not only tactical, or mental, they require a great deal of coordination and body control. If you don't gain body control now, and instead become strong as a bull, you'll never know how to use your strenght.. Instead, if you learn how to move now, and build up slowly your strenght, you'll eventually become a bull that knows how to dance. And that's not something your opponent will like to face.

Gimkana: something like the dribbling contest at the ASG.. with or without ball. Put some marks on the court, some obstacles, some signs.. things. Then start, balling or not... get to the marks and touch them with the hand, (both hands, or always with right hand would be great.. 'coz it'll become a job for the offhand too if you have the ball).. jump over the obstacles.. and repeat a few times, trying to be always faster. Speed is what you're improving, so don't forget to run.. seriously... like on a dash. And learn to keep your eyes up.
    I'm 15, 5'8-5'9 and i weigh 136.... and im not skinny... I have a good amount of muscle

^^ yes you are skinny...

forget what the other guy said about not doing squats. Squats will only hurt you if you have horrible form. just look up youtube and there are tons of videos showing good form for squats. Also do deadlifts and lunges (check youtube for these too).

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty
    ^^ yes you are skinny...

forget what the other guy said about not doing squats. Squats will only hurt you if you have horrible form. just look up youtube and there are tons of videos showing good form for squats. Also do deadlifts and lunges (check youtube for these too).

Hell, please, try suggest about things you know something about.

What kind of experience and sport training culture do you have to tell a 15 years old guy to execute squats and to learn them through YouTube? Do you have the faintest idea of what you're talking about?

Squats are dangerous exercises, they require a good technique (and it takes a long time to learn), a protective belt, a balanced developement of the muscles of the legs and of the whole back. They put under enormous stress the meniscus and the ligamens in the knee. They should be executed always with assistance, to avoid accidents. And overall, they shouldn't be performed by a guy so young, for reasons I have clearly explained. Before telling a boy to go on Youtube, and learn through some videos an exercise that good athletes take at least an year of assisted training to master?
    Why do you think everything has to be so easy?

Quote Originally Posted by elmersglue
    I'm 15, 5'8-5'9 and i weigh 136.... and im not skinny... I have a good amount of muscle
    Well, I'm somewhere bween 6'0 and 6'1, and i weigh 44 lbs more than you. Of course, you have to trust me that I am not fat (well, maybe 5 lbs or something too much.. ^^;;) but just muscled.
    That's not to say you're weak, the fact is you aren't heavily built.
    But please, don't make it all about muscle mass. If you have in your sports destiny to put up some weight, you will, or some coach will force you to.
    But it takes really a short time to put some mass, especially when you are starting with the weights, but it something you do not have to care about now.
    In an year or two, if your sports future requires it, it will be a good idea to learn the basic weighlifting exercises, but right now, as I said up to be nauseated myself from it, your body is much more reactive to coordination training than it will in 3,4 years.. it must be, right now, the very focus of your training. The best athletes (not strictly speaking, I mean in any sport) are those who have coordination abilities over the average. Of course, everybody reaches a point where he needs to improve his strenght to increase his game level, but it's something that comes after..

Hell, please, try suggest about things you know something about.

What kind of experience and sport training culture do you have to tell a 15 years old guy to execute squats and to learn them through YouTube? Do you have the faintest idea of what you're talking about?

Squats are dangerous exercises, they require a good technique (and it takes a long time to learn), a protective belt, a balanced developement of the muscles of the legs and of the whole back. They put under enormous stress the meniscus and the ligamens in the knee. They should be executed always with assistance, to avoid accidents. And overall, they shouldn't be performed by a guy so young, for reasons I have clearly explained. Before telling a boy to go on Youtube, and learn through some videos an exercise that good athletes take at least an year of assisted training to master?
    Why do you think everything has to be so easy?

Go on bodybuilding.com where they have professionals telling you that Squats and Deadlifts are by far the BEST excercise you can do to gain inches on your vertical leap. If he's 15, he should be starting at a low weight(say, around 100, and go up from there) while doing 12-15 reps. There are actual videos that bodybuilders put up to help people get the form of the squat right, while others are there to critique other's form.

Saw a basketball once

Well, I'm somewhere bween 6'0 and 6'1, and i weigh 44 lbs more than you. Of course, you have to trust me that I am not fat (well, maybe 5 lbs or something too much.. ^^;;) but just muscled.
    That's not to say you're weak, the fact is you aren't heavily built.
    But please, don't make it all about muscle mass. If you have in your sports destiny to put up some weight, you will, or some coach will force you to.
    But it takes really a short time to put some mass, especially when you are starting with the weights, but it something you do not have to care about now.
    In an year or two, if your sports future requires it, it will be a good idea to learn the basic weighlifting exercises, but right now, as I said up to be nauseated myself from it, your body is much more reactive to coordination training than it will in 3,4 years.. it must be, right now, the very focus of your training. The best athletes (not strictly speaking, I mean in any sport) are those who have coordination abilities over the average. Of course, everybody reaches a point where he needs to improve his strenght to increase his game level, but it's something that comes after..
    Yea, I just started to do weight training.. but i have this thing called osgood-schlater disease which is that my bones in my knees grow faster than the legiments so i cant bend them as far .. but it will go away once i stop growing which is good cus it means im still growing. So i can only work on my upper body.

High School Starter otmtheshank's Avatar

For improving dribbling with your offhand, you should follow orfeo's dribbling advice. Myself, I've always been able to use both hands without any difficulty. The only problem I had was finishing with my left. To improve your finishing with your off-hand, work on your footwork. Practise jumping off the foot opposite your hand carrying the ball.

For the Squats. I've had plenty of my coachs/trainers/gym attendants tell me that squats are ok for me to do. I've been doing squats since my sophomore year of hs, and have been taught the perfect form, along with the benefits/dangers of squatting.

When I first read Orfeo's posts, I had no idea if OrfeoMorfeo-Ita had any idea what he was talking about. I kept reading his posts, and he had tons of words that I know do not exist in the English language. Then I learned that he doesn't fluently speak English, meaning he probably knows what he's talking about. Orfeo's advice is pretty good. If you think you have a chance at getting somewhere in basketball, then take his advice, which is great for the long-term. If you just want to dunk right away, and don't plan on a future in basketball, then get your coach to show you a plyos workout.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty
    Go on bodybuilding.com where they have professionals telling you that Squats and Deadlifts are by far the BEST excercise you can do to gain inches on your vertical leap. If he's 15, he should be starting at a low weight(say, around 100, and go up from there) while doing 12-15 reps. There are actual videos that bodybuilders put up to help people get the form of the squat right, while others are there to critique other's form.
    Well, then go, find an auxology book, or attend a course to become a youth athlethes trainer, or break your knee with deep squats (I did all of these..) and you'll find out that body developement is not uniform. Muscles develope sooner than ligamens and tendons, and morevoer, muscles react to training, while ligs and tendons, generally, do not. So if you start exaggerating the stresses to your connective tissue at a young age you put yourself under great risks of minor and major injuries. Moreover, watching is not learning. You cannot expect a 15 yo to watch a perfect squat on the tube and then being able to repeat it correctly. The learning of such a complex exercise must be followed by a trainer, who can notice the smallest things (the angle of your feet, the posture of the lower body, the angle of the hips, the timing of the exercise) that, if wrong, can be dangerous.
    Please, tell me that you don't expect that what you can know about weightlifting because of what you read on a website is enough to tell a developing athlete what to do, and that he is undergoing no risks. Would you be ready to bear the responsability of his health, or are you spending advices because they don't cost you anything?
    Geez. A website. There's plenty of studies about how young sportsmen should approach weightlifting with extreme carefulness, and you lightly suggest the most dangerous exercise, because a website says so.