Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default New telescope is going to revolutionize what we know about our universe

[quote]The world

Default Re: New telescope is going to revolutionize what we know about our universe

Eh poor little humans, trying to discover something they obviously can't comprehend.

How about focusing on Earth and how to sustain it and better it for the future instead of wasting all those resources on space programs and irrelevant information we have no use for.

Humans using their telescopes to "guess" what is out there is no different than an curious ant trying to figure out what's that big shoe that stomps them all the time.

Default Re: New telescope is going to revolutionize what we know about our universe

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Eh poor little humans, trying to discover something they obviously can't comprehend.

How about focusing on Earth and how to sustain it and better it for the future instead of wasting all those resources on space programs and irrelevant information we have no use for.

Humans using their telescopes to "guess" what is out there is no different than an curious ant trying to figure out what's that big shoe that stomps them all the time.
    I disagree, if we are more focused on space, maybe we can actually build better rockets to actually start colonizing space. Most of the wars are caused by fighting over the resources, and sure, some countries might be fighting over space resources too, but there is so much on asteroids and neighbouring planets, I think that we will have so much it'll make earth a rich planet, and in the cosmos, we will prob be identified as one nation, rather than individual countries. I mean sh*t, that in and of itself will end all the wars and resolve conflicts of interest.

As is, Earth is a violent planet because nations are fighting over resources and with the people multiplying sooner or later we will run out of them. It'll only get worse since wars will be deadlier as we run low.

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton

So what do you suggest we do? Stop space exploration? Stop spending all money and resources on space programs? Do you even know how much we spend on space programs here in USA? It is absolutely miniscule compared to how much gets spent on focusing on Earth and USA.

$3.79 trillion USA spent overall in 2012. $17.68 billion to Nasa + $8.2 billion to National Science Foundation = $25.88 billion to Science. 0.68% of everything that USA spent in all of 2012 to Science (NASA - 0.46% to space programs total).

Are you saying you wouldn't even spend 0.68% of the entire USA budget on space programs? What about the remaining 99.32%? Are you telling me that is not enough for everything else? If it is not enough then you have MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger problems to deal with.

Anyways, back on topic. Definitely a move forward for on-land telescope, but I still feel as if in-space telescopes are the best way to go such as the Hubble. There would be nothing from our atmosphere that could screw around with the signal if it's outside our atmosphere
    Last edited by bladefd; 03-14-2013 at 12:30 AM.

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24

They've barely used the telescope and they are already finding something revolutionary, heck, the big bang has to be rewritten now. This goes to show how big our universe is, and imagine each star we see, there is a planet that is just like ours next to it, which is pretty much infinite. It makes all of us look really petty. We have human biasness that makes us think we know everything, but it's just ridiculous when you look at the galaxy and see how little we know.
    There is nothing in that article that refutes or even suggests there is a contradiction to the evidence that supports the big bang theory.

코비=GOAT

I disagree, if we are more focused on space, maybe we can actually build better rockets to actually start colonizing space. Most of the wars are caused by fighting over the resources, and sure, some countries might be fighting over space resources too, but there is so much on asteroids and neighbouring planets, I think that we will have so much it'll make earth a rich planet, and in the cosmos, we will prob be identified as one nation, rather than individual countries. I mean sh*t, that in and of itself will end all the wars and resolve conflicts of interest.

As is, Earth is a violent planet because nations are fighting over resources and with the people multiplying sooner or later we will run out of them. It'll only get worse since wars will be deadlier as we run low.
    No, we should be more focused on the ocean or other uninhabited areas on earth for colonization, not space. The costs are too prohibitive and our technology too primitive to even consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by shlver
    No, we should be more focused on the ocean or other uninhabited areas on earth for colonization, not space. The costs are too prohibitive and our technology too primitive to even consider it.
    Colonizing space is not really a choice. Sooner or later we are going to use all our resources up; more wars will be fought over it. We are just going to blow ourselves up and only the rich and powerful (with the means and resources) will survive.

Unless if the ocean can yield the same resources, we'll need to look at colonizing the moon, then mars, so on and so forth for the resources and energy we need to survive.

코비=GOAT

Colonizing space is not really a choice. Sooner or later we are going to use all our resources up; more wars will be fought over it. We are just going to blow ourselves up and only the rich and powerful (with the means and resources) will survive.

Unless if the ocean can yield the same resources, we'll need to look at colonizing the moon, then mars, so on and so forth for the resources and energy we need to survive.
    Do you even try to comprehend my post? Why would we focus efforts on something that might be literally impossible? I'm not sure you understand how much energy, resources, and jumps in technology we would need to colonize space.

Do you even try to comprehend my post? Why would we focus efforts on something that might be literally impossible? I'm not sure you understand how much energy, resources, and jumps in technology we would need to colonize space.
    Yea, you are saying you would rather swim in the ocean with Willy than go to the stars. What is so special about the ocean except a bunch of glowing fishes anyway. Exploring space is much more evolutionary; if we understand the universe, we can travel, colonize it for resources, and quite possibly, make contact.

Look at how much money we spend on war. Imagine if we use half of that so the Bushies can go to asteroids or other planets to get their oil instead of bombing other nations for it. Just seems like logical sense to me space should be the next step in our evolution.

코비=GOAT

Yea, you are saying you would rather swim in the ocean with Willy than go to the stars. What is so special about the ocean except a bunch of glowing fishes anyway. Exploring space is much more evolutionary; if we understand the universe, we can travel, colonize it for resources, and quite possibly, make contact.

Look at how much money we spend on war. Imagine if we use half of that so the Bushies can go to asteroids or other planets to get their oil instead of bombing other nations for it. Just seems like logical sense to me space should be the next step in our evolution.
    This discussion is over. You obviously don't have a clue of the economic and biological consequences of actually inhabiting and self sustaining a population on another planet.

People are having less and less kids nowadays. I'm not sure the population will ever catch up to the technology. Heck, I'm sure in the future not having any children will be the 'in' thing to do. In some more years I believe we will achieve virtually free energy. And with that, comes all the goodness of free clean water for everybody and many other good stuff.

Of course, we can always choose nuclear war over all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    Resources? Ain't no oxygen in space n!gga.
    They are already mining asteroids. Basically they would beacon an asteroid with a laser to pinpoint it's orbit, send a robotic "miner" to dig for the resources, and then pick it up as it orbits back on earth. It is completely doable.

코비=GOAT

They are already mining asteroids. Basically they would beacon an asteroid with a laser to pinpoint it's orbit, send a robotic "miner" to dig for the resources, and then pick it up as it orbits back on earth. It is completely doable.
    And how much does it cost? It costs close to $10000 per pound to put an object in space and about the same to bring it back. Once against cost prohibitive.
    Last edited by shlver; 03-14-2013 at 02:14 AM.

This discussion is over. You obviously don't have a clue of the economic and biological consequences of actually inhabiting and self sustaining a population on another planet.
    Colombus also heard the same criticism.

코비=GOAT

Colombus also heard the same criticism.
    It's not even a comparison. You're just exposing your ignorance with these kinds of comments.