Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Default Re: Consensus #1 pick (according to ISH) finishes w/6points 9 rebounds against Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I would absolutely, positively not trade Irving for Davis under any circumstances. In fact, the guy that I want most in this year's draft is MKG, not Davis.
    Gilchrist over Davis?

No offense, but you would be a sh1tty GM

Default Re: Consensus #1 pick (according to ISH) finishes w/6 points 9 rebounds against Indiana

Wizards needs to draft this kid, and fire Flip Saunders. Javalee Mcgee and Anthony Davis = Best shot blocking duo since Duncan and Robinson.

Default Re: Consensus #1 pick (according to ISH) finishes w/6 points 9 rebounds against Indiana

Would Davis be able to play C in the NBA? He seems a little on the light side.

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    Would Davis be able to play C in the NBA? He seems a little on the light side.

He's gonna play the PF position in the NBA. His current weight is listed at 220 lbs. Rookie Kevin Garnett weighted at 225 lbs in the 1995 NBA pre draft camp.
    Last edited by Lebron23; 01-18-2012 at 09:29 PM.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: Consensus #1 pick (according to ISH) finishes w/6points 9 rebounds against Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
    Gilchrist over Davis?

No offense, but you would be a sh1tty GM
    I've already explained the position several times. I'm talking strictly about for Cleveland, the kind of team we are building, the kinds of players that the organization is striving to acquire and my admittedly completely superficial impression of each players' respective personalities.

First, I recognize the importance of being able to attain a dynamic big man in a league that doesn't exactly have a surplus of elite talent at that spot. If Davis maximizes his potential, he could be the kind of player that you could build a championship roster around down the line.

If he meets that potential, I could see Davis having the defensive, shot blocking and rebounding tenacity of a Marcus Camby or Tyson Chandler combined with the finesse offensively of a Chris Bosh.

Obviously, that is a pretty juicy scenario.

However, we are in an age of some of the most supremely talented players being uninterested in playing in small markets. For a franchise like ours not to consider the possibility of drafting a 'franchise player' only to have that player stick around for a few years and do his franchise thing elsewhere would be foolish. That is something that all small markets should be aware of when making these kinds of franchise-altering selections.

I look at Davis and see a guy who is from Chicago and might not be all that keen on spending his career in Cleveland. Of course, that is assuming a lot and speculating on something for which I really have no hard, solid evidence of, but it is just a gut feeling. The Cavaliers would have to do their due diligence and decide for themselves if Davis is the kind of guy that would stick around for the long haul and build his career here. If they think he is and they also believe he is the best player in the draft and we had the opportunity to get him, I'd be all for it.

But, I look at the way this current team is being constructed and I can't help but notice that last year's two draft choices are both extremely high character guys. Irving was the obvious pick at No. 1, but no one saw Thompson coming at No. 4. I honestly believe that part of the reason he was drafted was because of his character and that he convinced the front office that he wants to spend his career in Cleveland.

That along with his freakish athleticism and great workouts led to the pick.

Now, I look at MKG. He is of the Irving and Thompson ilk of high character. His work ethic is renowned around the country. He plays a position that we desperately need to fill. He has massive NBA potential, imo. Again, just from a completely superficial outsider's view, he seems like he might be the kind of guy that would remain loyal to the team that drafted him (especially if it is a high pick) and it doesn't hurt that he would be joining a young, talented team with fellow New Jersey high schooler Kyrie Irving leading the way.

Truth be told, I don't think the chasm between these two guys as far as NBA potential is concerned is as massive as some would have you believe. A big factor in Davis being a higher ranked prospect is simply the lack of quality big men in the NBA today. But, I could see MKG becoming a star swingman, which is the position that the Cavs need to fill desperately.

Considering all of that... I would be more than happy with an Irving, MKG, Thompson core for the future.

Keep in mind that there were many laughing at me last year for asserting that Kyrie Irving was the unquestioned best player in the draft and a no-brainer pick for the Cavs.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

C - Jonas Valanciunas
    PF - Anthony Davis

For the next 6+ years? Yes please!

Cuba

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    He's gonna play the PF position in the NBA. His current weight is listed at 220 lbs. Rookie Kevin Garnett weighted at 225 lbs in the 1995 NBA pre draft camp.

KG was 7"0 though, Davis is 6"10.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    what has gilchrist done recently to get some much praise?

i havent watch much college ball since the nba started, but when i watched kentucky, i saw a high energy, athletic, mature kid, who didnt have much skills on offense. he could finish on the break, and he could get into the lane after a curl, but i didnt see much shot creating abilities. has anything changed since then?
    He is a freshman putting up 14/8 on 50% shooting on a team that doesn't exactly lend itself to one guy dominating games on his own. He is undoubtedly a bit raw offensively when it comes to his jumper, especially from beyond 15 feet. However, he is a workhorse on the offensive glass, extremely athletic, one of the longest legitimate perimeter players to come through in a while (7-foot wingspan) and a tenacious defender.

He has the ability to bring the ball up the floor or play off the ball and attack the boards. He also has a high basketball IQ from everything I've seen/read.

He was pretty much the consensus No. 3 player in this loaded class, behind only Davis and Drummond (ESPN, Rivals, Scout). The guy is a renowned workaholic and very high character.

He is the kind of guy that doesn't need to have the ball in his hands constantly to have a big impact offensively and there isn't a doubt in my mind that he will eventually become a good shooter with the way he works on his game and having a professional shooting coach teaching him the correct form and mechanics. Defense is really probably his defining trait at this stage in the game.

With Kyrie doing most of the ball-handling and playmaking duties, he seems to me to be an ideal running partner.

I could see him being a player in the mold of a Scottie Pippen if everything were to work out perfectly and he maximized his potential. Yeah, I like him a lot.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Drummond is going #1 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    I don't think it is going to matter to us, because the Cavs probably aren't going to have a top 2 pick anyway. This team isn't close to that bad, unless the injury bug hits, we trade away all of the vets or we just get extremely lucky on the lottery again.

I'd be happy with a pick anywhere in the top 7. And, that said, Gilchrist is my guy. Am I the only one that sees this potential?

Cuba

I don't think it is going to matter to us, because the Cavs probably aren't going to have a top 2 pick anyway. This team isn't close to that bad, unless the injury bug hits, we trade away all of the vets or we just get extremely lucky on the lottery again.

I'd be happy with a pick anywhere in the top 7. And, that said, Gilchrist is my guy. Am I the only one that sees this potential?
    Is Gilchrist a 2 or 3 at the next level?

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

The Cavs are one good tank-job away from finishing rebuilding, IMO. Add another top young pick to Kyrie (who I think will be a star) and you have your base to build on. An injury to a key veteran (Varejao?) might be the only way that happens.

I'm still pissed that the Raptors somehow beat them both times. We Raptors fans need the tank badly.

Quote Originally Posted by abuC
    Is Gilchrist a 2 or 3 at the next level?
    I think he could play either spot. He is athletic enough and a good enough defender to stay with 2s and his offensive game will eventually be refined enough to fill that kind of role, imo. At 6-foot-7, he would be very difficult for 2s to deal with on the other side of the ball, because he has been working on his post play.

I think he is more naturally at 3 at this stage of the game, though, and his 7-foot wingspan makes up for any height problems on the next level. His raw athleticism and large frame would probably make him a SF at the start of his career.

He is a pretty damned versatile player, though. He isn't a 'tweener' that would have hard time finding his place, I don't think.... He is the kind of guy that could play multiple positions.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic

Do you know what his actual height is?

Quote Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
    The Cavs are one good tank-job away from finishing rebuilding, IMO. Add another top young pick to Kyrie (who I think will be a star) and you have your base to build on. An injury to a key veteran (Varejao?) might be the only way that happens.

I'm still pissed that the Raptors somehow beat them both times. We Raptors fans need the tank badly.
    See, I think this class is deep enough to where you don't necessarily need a top 2 pick to land the potentially final piece of a rebuild. What separates this class from last year's class, imo, isn't at the top.

Kyrie Irving will prove to be a more than adequate No. 1 pick in any draft class. The real luck for the Cavs was getting No. 1 last year. The difference between No. 1 and the rest of the lottery was massive, imo.

This year, there are those elite guys at the top again, but there is also incredible depth (assuming everyone comes out). If you get a top 8 pick in this draft, you are getting a potentially elite prospect.

Let's say it goes...

1. Drummond
    2. Davis
    3. Barnes
    4. Perry Jones
    5. Sullinger
    6. Jeremy Lamb
    7. Thomas Robinson
    8. Kidd-Gilchrist

...are you going to complain about any of those guys?

That's not even mentioning Bradley Beal, Henson, Austin Rivers, Terrance Jones, Meyers Leonard... this draft is one of the deepest in memory.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 01-19-2012 at 01:59 AM.