Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Training routines NBA/NCAA Players Use

Looking for what the players at the NBA/NCAA Players are using for their strength training in the offseason/in season, everything related to training. (Medicine ball work, pylometrics, agility training, lifting routine etc) Just stuff like that, I'm not looking for the stuff they do on the basketball court like 500 free-throws etc etc.

Thanks.

Dunking on everybody in the park mika's Avatar

Default Re: Training routines NBA/NCAA Players Use

Im not saying that these work outs are'nt legit, because they are put together by a proffesional, but the problem with doing these workouts is that you are not LBJ, Kobe, MJ, Rip ect...

Look at what they do, the volume and relative strength requirements to give yourself an idea and then figure out what you personally need. I would worry that you would scrap my advice and just do them anyway, but you just wont be able to...

But thats cool, cuz neither can most of the other 6.4 billion people... yes, including me

Oh yeah I'm just looking at what they do, I'm one of the few guys who understand why AA3's high repetitions are actually bad for you xD.

I'm just seeing what all the strength coaches out there are making their players do. I was looking at DIME (April issue) and Derek Fisher does a light workout before his games, so just looking around.

Quote Originally Posted by theparade
    I'm just seeing what all the strength coaches out there are making their players do. I was looking at DIME (April issue) and Derek Fisher does a light workout before his games, so just looking around.
    I saw that same article... It changed my mind about stuff. I knew Kobe worked out before games and I knew Tyler Hansbrough worked out after games (even away games) but I didnt understand the positive effects. The light workout Fisher actually is on the level... go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by theparade
    I'm one of the few guys who understand why AA3's high repetitions are actually bad for you xD.
    Why??

AA3
    -------------
    Same training for everyone, from 13 year old guys who squat 0.5x their bodyweight to NCAA Players. Problem much?

Way too much volume, they advertise that if you jump a lot, it's muscular memory or w/e they say. High reps are training for muscular endurance, which is not what you want in vertical jumping. You might get injuries because it is too much volume.

Doing high reps in AA3 is like telling a 100m sprinter to go run a marathon everyday. Common sense no?

Lots of complaints from people who say they are having injuries. Why? Because the program isn't customizable unlike VJB and has way too much volume. Some can take it because they are advanced athletes.

For those that say they got gains, it is because they didn't have a good strength base in the beginning. The pylometrics are correct, but the volume, rest, set ratio is WAY OUTTA PROPORTION. You will get your maximal gains from doing an appropriate program, etc VJB.

Athletic training is not one size for all. Air Alert is that?

By the way, for everyone reading this. Don't do the programs NCAA/NBA players do, it's too advanced for you and will probably hurt you or limit your gains in the weight room.

Until you are an advanced weightlifter, don't worry about doing super complicated splits or anything. Do PROVEN Routines in that link and you'll be seeing gains in your VERT (yes squats anything involving legs improves your vert) while packing on weight for basketball.

http://eliteathletes.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=261

http://www.nike.com/jumpman23/features/reg_builder/

i have no idea what NBA players do but i'm throwing this link out there cos its relevant and useful to people on a search like yours (no, i don't work for Nike)

the range of exercises and workouts on there is extensive to say the least - note that there's nothing on lifting weights though - its going to keep me occupied this summer anyhow.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy20
    I saw that same article... It changed my mind about stuff. I knew Kobe worked out before games and I knew Tyler Hansbrough worked out after games (even away games) but I didnt understand the positive effects. The light workout Fisher actually is on the level... go for it.

Some players can handle to extra stress before games (Kobe) and still perform. Could be a mental thing, could be that he feels a boost in energy physically, could be that he really doesn't do much anyhow.

As for after games, (Tyler)...that is when the player will see the longest recovery between games, although basketball is a bit different than hockey (sometimes 2-3 days between games) and especially football (whole week to recover). So usually, depending on game schedule, the most intense training program will be afte rthe game, and taper down to before the next game.

Quote Originally Posted by ABPrints
    As for after games, (Tyler)...that is when the player will see the longest recovery between games, although basketball is a bit different than hockey (sometimes 2-3 days between games) and especially football (whole week to recover). So usually, depending on game schedule, the most intense training program will be afte rthe game, and taper down to before the next game.
    True, but I also said AWAY games. Meaning after a late game at Duke, he still hijacked their weightroom at 10:00 pm and made the entire rest of the team wait on the bus until he was finished. I dont like UNC, but Hansbrough is a player...

I don't get picked last at the park anymore ABPrints's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy20
    True, but I also said AWAY games. Meaning after a late game at Duke, he still hijacked their weightroom at 10:00 pm and made the entire rest of the team wait on the bus until he was finished. I dont like UNC, but Hansbrough is a player...

haha, then I would say good player, plus spoiled brat.

http://3shadesofblue.blogspot.com/20...play-game.html

just a general overview of what some Grizzlies are up to this pre-season, theres no details of actual training routines per se.

Parade I remember you were saying you were trying out for regionals in BC

What region were you?
    did you make it?

I was on the regional and summer games team so I was wondering if I know you.

sorry for the off topic

Saw a basketball once

@theparade
    youve got good knowledge of athletic training and all the people in this forum should take note of what you are saying.
    In addition to what you said, squats will not injure you knees nor will they give you back pain as long as you are using correct form.