Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good High School Starter

Default Do you take notes?

How do you take them (note app on your phone/computer, in a journal, etc.)?

I've been using Evernote for a few years now and I think it's becoming more of a hassle than its helping. I spend way too much time organizing and writing stuff down that its kind of holding me back. Plus my OCD has me never satisfied with them. I really feel like by deleting them it'd change my life; kind of similar to traveling/going on a long vacation.

rank sentamentalist

Default Re: Do you take notes?

i dunno what kind of notes you are taking..

but it seems that the problem isn't note-taking, it's that after you take the note, you don't do anything with it. i have the same problem. i've got a fking shoebox just filled with scrap paper and pages torn from notebooks, mostly silly day dreaming, occasionally clever or insightful, some ideas i want to put into practise.

unfortunately i haven't been bothered to go through the shoebox in months. and i don't particularly want to... partly laziness, partly insecurity over whether these thoughts are any good. clearly i thought they were good when i wrote them down. but what if they aren't?

but i know one thing i wont' do : throw them all out

why would you throw out your evergreen notes? what purpose could it possibly serve? the only impact that deleting them could possibly have on your life is when you reach the point of regret and wish you hadn't.

if they aren't working for your life, use them differently. don't make a rash decision to scrap a bunch of work you've done the past few years. that could come back to haunt you.

C# and G and E.

I write in my phone. I have a shopping list, a book list, random notes and any weird dreams I remember

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by The Immortal
    I've always felt that I absorb the material better when I write by hand. Typing is so fast that the brain doesn't have time to really absorb the material.

But for note taking: One Note has always been pretty good.

EverNote.. eh.. Not a fan of the usage limit and I sure as hell am not paying for that shit.
    heh same here. also something about scribing it in ink or lead and having a physical copy... i don't think i'm ready to rely on a digital memory just yet

Banned

I take notes in my copy and then revise them.

NBA All-star

unleash the power of talking to yourself brethrens

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by GimmeThat
    unleash the power of talking to yourself brethrens

Good High School Starter

I have a separate notebook for each of the categories in Yahoo Answers. They're shockingly organized. I just spend way too much time messing with all of it. Some of the notes are better suited in excel or word files so I've spent like the past couple of weeks transferring some of them there (literally hours at a time). Problem with that is losing the benefit of having everything in one place

I'm thinking if I started from scratch it'll be better but when I look over them to see what I'd lose I just can't.

I don't like it when people throw around the term OCD. It spits in the face of people who really suffer from it; especially if you know someone with clinically diagnosed and treated OCD.

Your OCD doesn't act up like your knees when it's going to rain. It's a debilitating disease.

NBA Legend

I take notes all the time homie.

C notes.

No

Yes then I edit/revise it. The proceed of editing is when I absorb information. I only take notes on the absolute essentials. If your taking notes for the sake of notes then don't know how to use it then you don't know what you're doing it. Note taking is a skill.

I take detailed notes when reading or on a conference call but for other stuff I just keep a checklist. Basically just notes in task form so that I can check things off and move on as I'm working. I normally do it in my phone (note 3 with stylus) but I prefer pen and paper.