Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    An Icon Forever

Default Dropping Out of College?

I am thinking about dropping out of college to pursue my goal of getting into the entertainment industry. (acting/singing)

Do you think I should go for it or would it be a bad move to make? I am 27 years old and live with my mom and am unemployed and have lived a pretty sheltered life. I would be finished with college in about 2 years and am getting a degree in Business Management. I would be 29-30 years old before graduating from college if I continued and stayed in college. At the same time, I feel time might be running out for me. Do most people make it in Hollywood/music at 30+ years old? I have no training/experience at all in either acting/music but I at least want to try. If I don't I feel I will always regret it. At the same time if I try and don't make it and don't end up succeeding at it, I feel I will be angry about it and never let go of the pain of not being a success in it.

What should I do?

Anybody here working/trying to get in the entertainment industry and have any advice?

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Re: Dropping Out of College?

Stay in college.

Just do your entertainment/singing sh*t on the side. Is that really a full time job anyway until you actually get signed somewhere or whatever? I doubt it.

Not sure if serious.

Stay in school. In your spare time feel free to pursue whatever.

end thread/

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

its fine to drop out, but find a more appropriate industry with actual achievable goals.

Do you currently sing in a band? Participate in community or regional theaters? You probably are not as good as you think you are.

I cannot believe you are 27 and think this is a realistic life goal. What did you do with the nearly decade since highschool?

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Stay in school. If you were dropping out and pursuing a trade rather than a college degree than I wouldn't feel as bad. But singing and acting..do that on the side. That's not guaranteed.

drop out yolo

I would stay in school and do it on the side as well... There are classes you can take and things you can do to see if you are ready to make the jump into acting. If you aren't a very motivated person, chances are good that you could drop out, pursue this career, and get absolutely nowhere. Know thyself. If you aren't motivated, stick with safe route and then just add stuff on top of it. If it's something you really want, you will do it despite all the hours you have to put into other things.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    its fine to drop out, but find a more appropriate industry with actual achievable goals.

Do you currently sing in a band? Participate in community or regional theaters? You probably are not as good as you think you are.

I cannot believe you are 27 and think this is a realistic life goal. What did you do with the nearly decade since highschool?

I don't sing in a band and have no theater experience.

I have been floundering around since high school.

Even though I have no experience, do you feel it is something I should try?

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige
    I don't sing in a band and have no theater experience.

I have been floundering around since high school.

Even though I have no experience, do you feel it is something I should try?
    I would suggest you either take theater or performance classes in college or get involved with local theater. You are evaluating yourself in a bubble. Go out and see if you are any better than a random theater student at your school or somebody in the local community by direct competition for parts, etc.

Chances are you arent good enough. If you really want to be in the industry, get a degree in the theater arts (or experience) and try and be a grip or other behind the scenes role. Even those jobs are hard to get.

College may not be for you, but you need to have a more realistic aspiration.

An Icon Forever

I would suggest you either take theater or performance classes in college or get involved with local theater. You are evaluating yourself in a bubble. Go out and see if you are any better than a random theater student at your school or somebody in the local community by direct competition for parts, etc.

Chances are you arent good enough. If you really want to be in the industry, get a degree in the theater arts (or experience) and try and be a grip or other behind the scenes role. Even those jobs are hard to get.

Thanks man.

An Icon Forever

All that makes sense, thanks. About singing, how should I go about that?

finish your degree in business. once you get the degree then you can experiment with the real world, if you fail, you know you have a degree to manage a mcdonalds for 20 dollars an hour.

Banned

just go part-time or online and keep it going

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by TheFan
    Join the Army...

You are probably not good enough to enter the entertainment industry... think you will be competing against people who are younger, and have the talent/looks.. think Justin Bieber and yes looks is a talent.

You say by the time you finish College you will be 29... nobody will hire you at that age with zero working experience... ive heard of people who by the time they are 30 have 15 years of experience in their field, you are competing against those people.

Appreciate your viewpoint.