Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Luc Longley?

Default Re: Luc Longley?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    It's not. Gasol might have been an all-star on those Bulls teams. I like Lucy but he's no where near the player Marc is.
    I would have liked to see them match up. Might be a bit more competitive than you might think.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Lucy is more in Steisma's class.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Stats don't really tell the whole story. Gasol is a MUCH better basketball player than Longley. Gasol is a better rebounder, a better finisher inside, a better passer, more active on the defensive end and he is much more mobile than Longley. Longley couldn't give you 35 MPG because of his limited stamina, you don't have that problem with Gasol.

Really, stats is the last thing you want to use when judging a player like Marc Gasol, a player like Greg Monroe has similar stats to Gasol, but anyone who knows the game will tell you that Marc is the better player by a good margin.

You guys must be on some if you really think Longley would average 14/9 in today's league.
    Thats due to monroe playing for detroit and gasol memphis. Memphis is a much better and popular team. Thus gasol garners more recognition

It's not. Gasol might have been an all-star on those Bulls teams. I like Lucy but he's no where near the player Marc is.
    Nowhere near? Thats pushing it. I dont think longley has the hands of gasol, but gasol is not as good as longley was on defense. Saying that, my saying that longley would be a top 10 center now is pushing it. But hed definately be middle of the pack.

Lucy is more in Steisma's class.
    Stop the nonsense.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Luc was a lottery pick by the Minnesota Timberwolves one year after they drafted another 7 footer in the lottery (Felton Spencer). He was always a role player. He was on those Bulls championship teams, the latter 3. Nothing special. Just a big guy, he had decent passing skills. The Bulls had role players for their center, it was just a position that those Bulls teams didn't rely on for offense.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Stop the nonsense.
    I'm not the one comparing him to Gasol. That is nonsense. I watched Lucy from the time he was 18 and he did some nice things on the court but he wasn't the player Gasol is.

I'm not the one comparing him to Gasol. That is nonsense. I watched Lucy from the time he was 18 and he did some nice things on the court but he wasn't the player Gasol is.
    Get a clue. Longley is a hell of a lot closer to Gasol than he is to Greg Steisma.

This is why I dislike debating things that happened 20 years ago with someone who was probably born yesterday.

What I meant about Longley, if it wasn't clear, is that he ran the floor well for someone of his height and size. I did not say he was the freaking flash, or that he had elite-level speed.

If you're comparing him to other Bulls centers of his era, I would say that he was more mobile than either Cartwright or Wennington. Both of them, I would consider flatfooted and slow.

I have a bunch of old Bulls games, and have noted more then once that Longely was much quicker and more mobile than people give him credit for. Obviously, some posters here think he was some kind of stiff, but I don't agree.

Watch some old Bulls games, or look at some YouTube clips. You might be surprised.
    I watched those games in my moms basement on WGN fool. I went to 3 celebrations in Grant Park. I went to games in the old Chicago Stadium. So quit reaching Joe.

Comparing Luc to two other slow players does not make him mobile.

He was not mobile he was slow yet solid.

Again, you should have quit when you were ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    I watched those games in my moms basement on WGN fool.
    Maybe she should have had a better tv. You might have seen the games more clearly.

Maybe she should have had a better tv. You might have seen the games more clearly.
    Or maybe you're talking out the side of your neck and have he-motions for Luc Longley. Find me ONE person or quote touting Luc's mobility. Find me ONE Bull's fan to back your story. Better yet, lets make a thread in the Bulls section about it, loser has to sport the avi of the winner's choice.

Or maybe you're talking out the side of your neck and have he-motions for Luc Longley. Find me ONE person or quote touting Luc's mobility. Find me ONE Bull's fan to back your story. Better yet, lets make a thread in the Bulls section about it, loser has to sport the avi of the winner's choice.
    I don't think so. I've already explained my statements earlier in the thread. Take a look.

I don't think so. I've already explained my statements earlier in the thread. Take a look.

And our opinions differ. You acted like I was too young to watch Luc and you were wrong just like you're wrong about him being a mobile center.

And our opinions differ.
    /thread

Because they played different roles on their respective teams. Like i saiid earlier, their skillsets are quite similar. With longley being the better defender, and gasol having better hands. And i feel gasol was better around the basket. As far as finishing plays off passes. Longley has a tendency to lay the ball up as opposed to dunk. I think he improved in his stint with the bulls though.