Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default New HBO Series "The Leftovers"

Anyone watch last night?

I'm not buying how upset everyone still is three years later, but I'm willing to give it a chance, at least for another episode.

The show takes place three years after a mysterious "rapture" happens. 2% of the population vanished without a trace or explanation.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: New HBO Series "The Leftovers"

It sounds interesting but the premise sounds far too unrealistic for me to get on board.

Banned

sounds like a show that belongs on ABC

Banned

Cool enough premise, horrible name. Will watch atr some point because Christopher Eccleston and Liv Tyler.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I watched it and enjoyed it enough.

I like the people involved. Some of the team from Lost (like Lindlehoff, which is a big piece), and part of the team from Friday Night Lights (Peter Berg, who produced, and that show was superbly produced), so that's a good place to start.

I love when I watch a show with people involved like that and notice crossovers, like FNL's Buddy Garrity last night was playing Congressman Buddy Garrity with a beard.

Anyway, it's an interesting concept. And a little like Lost it's a story they're going to dole out to us to keep us on the tit. I sort of like that approach. Apparently there's a book that's being used as source material, but they're going to be moving beyond that really quickly, and focusing on how the world has been affected by this kooky event. I like these sort of "what if" scenario's on a show's cover page. And the production looked really good. I thought the episode looked great. And the animal stuff was really well done and had a nice effect (I agree that it felt a little odd that no one picked up on this stuff about the dogs over the past three years too). The tone reminded me a bit of Super 8 (another JJ Abrams production that featured Kyle Chandler of FNL fame), probably because of the single father police officer notion.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Watched it. Boring as f*ck. It will need some major twist like the people coming back and being different (Invasion of the Body Snatchers style) for me to be interested.

Might give it a chance now that I know there are Friday Night Lights connections. I just binge watched all 5 seasons of that show over the last few weeks and I've absolutely loved it. The premise is interesting enough for me to give it a chance.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101
    Anyone watch last night?

I'm not buying how upset everyone still is three years later, but I'm willing to give it a chance, at least for another episode.

The show takes place three years after a mysterious "rapture" happens. 2% of the population vanished without a trace or explanation.
    Really?

I think I would be pretty damn upset/confused if people just started vanishing without a trace.

I thought it was a good start and I'm glad they're dealing with the "rapture" aspect of the disappearances right off the bat. Watching the previews, I was hoping that wouldn't be the end game. Maybe it still will be, but at least it won't be the big surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Really?

I think I would be pretty damn upset/confused if people just started vanishing without a trace.

I thought it was a good start and I'm glad they're dealing with the "rapture" aspect of the disappearances right off the bat. Watching the previews, I was hoping that wouldn't be the end game. Maybe it still will be, but at least it won't be the big surprise.
    Well yeah I'd be confused and upset... but after three years I think I'd be over it for the most part.

Maybe I'm just a callous asshole.

Banned

Well yeah I'd be confused and upset... but after three years I think I'd be over it for the most part.

You're just an asshole..

Banned

sounds like it'll end up like lost where it just has no real point and never solves anything worth while. A few good seasons that get hyped up then just dribbles out to a poor ending and final few seasons. Hopefully that's not the case but that's my first instinct

Is it very religious?

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Maybe?

Obviously.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak

Is it very religious?
    Too early to say if it is trying to send a specific religious message, but religion does seem to be a big part of it. As would happen in real life, many believe it was the rapture and seem to have taken up religion. It even showed high school kids praying in school after the pledge of allegiance.

I liked it.

Lots of questions to be answered

Only thing I didn't like is they made it seem it parts like the world is desolate when only 2% of population is missing.

I will continue to wAtch.