Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: US gun related murder rates compared to other countries

Quote Originally Posted by bmulls
    You are seriously retarded dude. Stop responding to my posts or learn reading comprehension. Google the words if you don't understand them.
    "If you subtract gang crime related murders the US is right in the middle of the pack."

what was the point of that statement. your saying gangcrime isnt a factor in our society, too discount it in statistics. your the one that needs more comprehension and less hunting wtih your guns.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    "If you subtract gang crime related murders the US is right in the middle of the pack."

what was the point of that statement. your saying gangcrime isnt a factor in our society, too discount it in statistics. your the one that needs more comprehension and less hunting wtih your guns.
    I'm saying gang crimes are a huge factor in our society, the single largest factor. If you get rid of gang murders then the US murder rate is close to the rest of the developed world.

You're saying the same thing I'm saying.

I'm saying gang crimes are a huge factor in our society, the single largest factor. If you get rid of gang murders then the US murder rate is close to the rest of the developed world.

Gang crimes are a huge factor in the numbers for all the countries whether it is from the mob, cartel, gangs, etc

but wtf? How the hell can you just get rid of gang crimes out of the murder rate? It's PART of the murder rate. How would it be fair to take out gang crimes out of the murder rate THEN compare it with other countries?

If I take other countries, and take out their #1 reason for murder crimes, I'd lower the rate too. So what's the point? The U.S. murder rate is high, including gang crimes, that's all there is to it.

You compare the overall murder rate, not anything else. Other countries murder rate include their own gang crimes too.

Seriously, you provide the WORST arguments.
    "People shoudn't drive because cars cause death as well"
    "people shouldn't drink because alcohol cause death as well"
    "if we take away guns, people will kill with knifes, and the death rate will be the same"
    "we should take out gang crimes, then U.S. will be comparable to other countries with their full murder rates"

wtf??
    You argue like a middle school kid, seriously.
    Last edited by ripthekik; 12-16-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    but wtf? How the hell can you just get rid of gang crimes out of the murder rate? It's PART of the murder rate. How would it be fair to take out gang crimes out of the murder rate THEN compare it with other countries?

If I take other countries, and take out their #1 reason for murder crimes, I'd lower the rate too. So what's the point? The U.S. murder rate is high, including gang crimes, that's all there is to it.

You compare the overall murder rate, not anything else. Other countries murder rate include their own gang crimes too.
    I'm saying 2 things:

1. The US faces a gang epidemic on a scale that other developed nations can't even fathom. If you're going to leave Mexico off your chart because of it's drug war you also need to take America's gang problem into consideration.

2. Addressing gang violence would do a lot more to prevent gun murder than gun control would because the majority of gang murders are committed with stolen or illegal firearms anyway.

I'm saying 2 things:

1. The US faces a gang epidemic on a scale that other developed nations can't even fathom. If you're going to leave Mexico off your chart because of it's drug war you also need to take America's gang problem into consideration.

2. Addressing gang violence would do a lot more to prevent gun murder than gun control would because the majority of gang murders are committed with stolen or illegal firearms anyway.
    It could be argued that Mexico's problems are because of America's war on drugs, I don't think the same can be said about America's problems.

I'm saying 2 things:

U.S. gang crimes can't even touch Mexico or the countries in Africa. They got 14 year old with guns.

And I've already said, even if you put Mexico there, the U.S. still looks bad. What's left to say then? USA MURDER RATE IS BAD, face it.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longhornfan1234
    Source?
    Source for a correlation? Well it'd be an inverse correlation since it would be as the number of abortions taking place goes up the amount of violent crime goes down.

It was decided in 1973, and since people who would have been entering their late teens and early 20s around that 93 94 period (the demographic most likely to commit those sorts of crime - by age and socioeconomic level) were less in number, this effectively lowered the overall crime rate (if the relationship is causal, I'm not saying it is - it is only a correlation after all).
    Last edited by miller-time; 12-16-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    U.S. gang crimes can't even touch Mexico or the countries in Africa. They got 14 year old with guns.

And I've already said, even if you put Mexico there, the U.S. still looks bad. What's left to say then? USA MURDER RATE IS BAD, face it.
    I agree it's bad, and I've never said otherwise. We need to get tougher on gang crime and reevaluate the drug laws that fuel it.

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Source for a correlation? Well it'd be an inverse correlation since it would be as the number of abortions taking place goes up the amount of violent crime goes down.

It was decided in 1973, and since people who would have been entering their late teens and early 20s around that 93 94 period (the demographic most likely to commit those sorts of crime - by age and socioeconomic level) were less in number, this effectively lowered the overall crime rate (if the relationship is causal, I'm not saying it is - it is only a correlation after all).
    Depending on your opinion you could argue thats simply a matter of accounting. I wouldn't agree with that argument but playing devils advocate you could argue that abortion is in and of itself a violent crime and as such the rates didn't really change.

My actual question would be what is the actual violent crime and or murder rate compared to these other countries and honestly I don't know the answer to that. If the knife and simple physical violent crime rates are much higher in the other countries then this stat doesn't matter

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Thread and graph is a joke without mentioning Mexico.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Thread and graph is a joke without mentioning Mexico.
    It isn't like they are hiding the fact, they mention they didn't include it. "I did not include Mexico, which has about triple the U.S. rate due in large part to the ongoing drug war."
    Also the fact that Mexico is worse than the US doesn't make the US any better.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    It isn't like they are hiding the fact, they mention they didn't include it. "I did not include Mexico, which has about triple the U.S. rate due in large part to the ongoing drug war."
    Also the fact that Mexico is worse than the US doesn't make the US any better.
    It's just indicative of the entire argument. If you can't trust either side to present the unadulterated facts then we are never going to find a compromise. We need discussions in good faith, not agenda driven propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    America kinda sucks besides basketball
    And that was created by a Canadian.

It doesn't matter if they included Mexico in the graph or Antarctica even. The discussion is how to lower gun related deaths in the USA. Not bring it down to an acceptable level compared to other parts of the world. Only numbers that apply are the ones from the USA.

Saying ooooo look we're not as bad as XYZ is a copout