Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Default Re: #64 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    tmac has never played in the second round of the playoffs
    His best years were spent in a situation a la Kobe 2005-07.

He's a much better playoff performer than Gasol despite having an inferior roster a vast majority of the time.

I wasn't going to, but because people are voting Pete Maravich and Pau Gasol over Tracy McGrady, I feel compelled to do make a case for T-Mac. I think people forget that it was a big debate back in the day over who was better between him and Kobe (before LeBron came along). Obviously, Kobe won that debate, but I think T-Mac had more potential. He is probably the most naturally gifted player I've ever seen, not only athletically, but just in terms of pure basketball ability. The game came so easy to him I think Jeff Van Gundy once said he felt like he didn't have to work on his game, although obviously he should have. Remember, T-Mac was born with mild scoliosis, so he was going to be injury prone no matter what. Although T-Mac's work ethic hurt him, he truly had abysmal luck, perhaps the worst luck of any superstar ever. His best years were wasted on a laughably bad Magic team. People talk about the teams Kobe LBJ and Wade carried at various times, but T-Mac's Magic teams were worse than any of the teams those guys had. If only Grant Hill and Yao Ming and T-Mac could have been healthy together more often. T-Mac's lack of playoff success needs to be put into context. He usually preformed very well in the playoffs, contrary to the popular mythos. He was almost always on the worse team in the playoff matchups he found himself in, and he and his best teammates were frequently less than 100%.

T-Mac's prime years (2001-2005) *bolded=Led NBA

2001: 27/8/5/2/2 on 46/36/73. Playoffs: 4 games, 34/7/8/2/1 on 42/20/82
    2002: 26/8/5/2/1 on 45/36/75. Playoffs: 4 games, 31/6/6/1/2 on 46/31/74.
    2003 (peak): 32/7/6/2/1 on 46/39/79. Playoffs: 7 games ,32/7/5/2/1 on 45/34/77.
    2004: 28/6/6/1/1 on 42/34/80.
    2005: 26/6/6/2/1 on 43/33/77. Playoffs: 7 games, 31/7/7/2/1 on 46/37/82.

Career regular season: 33 MPG, 20/6/4/1/1 on 44/34/75.
    Career playoffs: 39 MPG, 25/6/6/1/1 on 43/30/76

Awards
    7x All-Star
    2001 Most Improved Player
    2x All-NBA (1st)
    3x All-NBA (2nd)
    2x All-NBA (3rd)
    6 top 10 finishes in MVP voting (4th in 2002 and 2003)
    2x NBA scoring champion
    14th All-Time in Playoffs PPG

The guy could do pretty much everything, he was an incredible player who could have been even better, as scary as it is to imagine. It's a shame he and Yao could never both stay healthy and put together a great playoff run, it would have been really fun to watch.

Chris Webber

I'd put both Vince Carter and T-Mac over Pau.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    I think people forget that it was a big debate back in the day over who was better between him and Kobe (before LeBron came along). Obviously, Kobe won that debate...
    Kobe won the debate in terms of longevity and who went on to have a better career, but it's funny how that is used to definitively answer who was better during that time period (2000-04).

I still think T-Mac was playing at a higher individual level and had they switched cities their legacies would look a lot different.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    Kobe won the debate in terms of longevity and who went on to have a better career, but it's funny how that is used to definitively answer who was better during that time period (2000-04).

I still think T-Mac was playing at a higher individual level and had they switched cities their legacies would look a lot different.
    I think T-Mac was better in 2003, 01 and 02 is Kobe though. 04 they both kind of had their problems LOL. 05 is probably T-Mac too, only because Kobe had one of his worst years, though. Kobe has always been a much more hard working player, though, and I think because of this you can argue he was always better, although I personally wouldn't. I really wish T-Mac had the work ethic of a Kobe or LeBron. I wish he had their durability too.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    I'd put both Vince Carter and T-Mac over Pau.
    So would I, and I think Pau is a damn good player. I don't recall seeing Pau over either of them on most of these lists I've seen, though. I really don't know where all these Pau votes are coming from, RG started this shit though. People who think Pau was the best player on the 2010 Lakers are full of shit and should arguably not have their vote counted. Even assuming Pau was better in the Finals and should have been Finals MVP (I don't believe this, I'm just assuming this view to make my point), that wouldn't change the fact that Kobe was better the rest of the year and in general. Cedric Maxwell was never better than Larry Bird, for instance, even though he once won a FMVP over Bird. Regardless, Kobe was better in the Finals, the only reason it gets debated is because of their play in game 7. Pau was more efficient, and I think people sometimes confuse that with better, at least in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    I think T-Mac was better in 2003, 01 and 02 is Kobe though.
    How?

T-Mac had some incredible shotblocking seasons in 01 and 02 to go with his offensive onslaught. I remember he even drew a few All-Defensive votes to go along with Scottie Pippen comparisons.

Imagine how much better his defense would have looked having Shaq instead of Andrew DeClerq as a defensive anchor too. It would have made his job on the perimeter easier.

How?

T-Mac had some incredible shotblocking seasons in 01 and 02 to go with his offensive onslaught. I remember he even drew a few All-Defensive votes to go along with Scottie Pippen comparisons.

Imagine how much better his defense would have looked having Shaq instead of Andrew DeClerq as a defensive anchor too. It would have made his job on the perimeter easier.
    Well maybe not. It was always very close, you could really go either way. It's too bad T-Mac's prime ended so quickly, we could have seen more duels between him and Kobe at their best. 2002-03 is when I first remember paying any attention to the NBA, although until the past year or so I was an MLB guy first. I wish I had followed NBA more back then, I only really followed T-Mac closely I didn't get to watch many games back then in the regular season (we never have had cable) and there were no streams online back then.

Banned

Pau Gasol

I actually don't think he belongs here yet but since RRR3 keeps whining about it, I'll just vote for him to irritate him even more.

Sorry HardwoodLegend, I've lightened up on Tmac but his fans are still pretty annoying. They always have been. You are probably the only cool/rational one though.

Tmac was better than Kobe in 2002, not 2001 or 2003 though. His 2002 season gets underrated, I think it's arguably better than his 2003 season.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiThrice
    What do these pictures have to do with Pau leading the 2010 Lakers to the title as the best player?

Dude...

Shut. The F**K. Up.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Chris Bosh

- Led the 2012 Heat to the title as best player
    - 7X NBA all star
    - 20/9/2 career averages
    - Won gold medal in 2008
    - Starred in the movie Jurassic Park
    That, at the very least, is 100x more impressive than Gasol being on the cover of a video game. Not only did Bosh star in a blockbuster movie, but he so convincingly played the role of a dinosaur so flawlessly, I thought he deserved an Oscar.

That's much more impressive and difficult that someone taking an action shot from one of your games, adding some graphics and whatnot, and putting it on the cover of a video game. It basically took zero effort from Gasol.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Tmac was better than Kobe in 2002, not 2001 or 2003 though. His 2002 season gets underrated, I think it's arguably better than his 2003 season.
    What about 02 makes you prefer it over 03?

These Pau votes must be troll votes. No one actually believes he's the 64th greatest player of all time do they, its no way. If he is in, Tom Chambers and Terry Cumming should be gettin in also.

This is why I don't like voting for these things.

Posters try to convince others to vote for their favourite player, over other players with better resumes and more of then than not, there's almost no attempt of context or actually reasoning as to why they should be there.

Banned

What about 02 makes you prefer it over 03?
    Tmac was a better all-around/two-way player in 2002. He played very good defense, rebounded the ball well, and his scoring/playmaking have always been there.

2003 was when McGrady stopped playing on both ends and didn't hustle as much.

People always compare McGrady's '03 season to Kobe's '06 season but I think McGrady's '03 season is actually more like Kobe's '07 season.

I say this because Kobe played pretty good defense in 2006 while his defense was legitimately non-existent in 2007 because he coasted on that end. There were plenty of players that burned Kobe in that 2007 season such as Redd, Arenas, and more.

2003 was when McGrady just started conserving energy for offense and then he did it permanently after. He played some decent defense again in 2005 but after that season his defense was done for.