Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Incredibly Rare Footage of Jordan's Shot Against Cavs

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Bulls were up 3-1 in that series. Even if they lost that game, it was going back to Chicago with the Bulls up 3-2.
    WTF???

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by KungFuJoe
    WTF???

That mutherf*cker on medication

James Brown looks exactly the same.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Nice. I've only seen the actual game footage like every one else probably.

Seeing it from this view with no commentary makes it seem more real.

Samurai Swoosh

Never seen that angle before, either. Shame how that local reporter got thrown out of the way by the big bully larger networks. That was BEYOND rude.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Never seen that angle before, either. Shame how that local reporter got thrown out of the way by the big bully larger networks. That was BEYOND rude.
    Welcome to the life of a regional reporter.

He knew it was coming, I'm sure, which is why he was trying to get a reaction before James Brown took over the scene.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Welcome to the life of a regional reporter.

He knew it was coming, I'm sure, which is why he was trying to get a reaction before James Brown took over the scene.
    Jesus, I would've punched the dude while holding his camera. Honestly, even if I was the athlete I would've said something. That was actually kind of distrurbing to watch.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    That was really, really neat. Had floor level seats for the shot and got to an up-close first person view of running out on the court and up to Jordan for the celebration. Is there more footage like that out there of Jordan and/or other players after hitting a game winning buzzer beater?
    The NBA probably has footage like this for many/most games, but we only get to see it as they dole it out in snippets for NBA video specials or on NBA TV specials etc. They've had multiple courtside cameras/photographers for at least 25 years now. Shame we rarely get to see this stuff - give you a really fresh perspective.

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    The NBA probably has footage like this for many/most games, but we only get to see it as they dole it out in snippets for NBA video specials or on NBA TV specials etc. They've had multiple courtside cameras/photographers for at least 25 years now. Shame we rarely get to see this stuff - give you a really fresh perspective.
    Spike Lee has been fighting to get control of the tapes for a Jordan documentary for sometime now.

Kobe Doin Work was supposed to be his application to the league that he would handle their footage with care.

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Jesus, I would've punched the dude while holding his camera. Honestly, even if I was the athlete I would've said something. That was actually kind of distrurbing to watch.
    At least Jordan was nice to him later if I'm not mistaken, acknowledging him, letting him know and making sure that he knew that he remembers him.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    At least Jordan was nice to him later if I'm not mistaken, acknowledging him, letting him know and making sure that he knew that he remembers him.
    Yeah, I thought that was a really good look on Jordan's part. A personal gesture when he could have easily headed to the lockerrom with his teammates.

Jordan has always been the standard when it comes to media relations.

Bulls were up 3-1 in that series. Even if they lost that game, it was going back to Chicago with the Bulls up 3-2.
    dammit, do you realise ? i mean, you did it !?

NBA Superstar

I must admit, I always knew the Cavaliers were good back then, but I never really understood how feared and respected they were that season until I began reading a book about the Pistons 1989 championship run.

The book frequently refers to the Cavs as The Assassins (coined by someone within the Pistons organization) and nearly every mention of them for the first 200 pages is about how deep and skilled they were, with an excellently stoic head coach (Lenny Wilkens) and a boss of a GM who never gets excited or upset, just keeps his arms folded and nods knowingly as his team continues to dominate (Wayne Embry).

The Pistons were eventually able to cut into (and eventually overcome) Cleveland's big division lead near the end of the regular season but the Cavs were not a team they were looking forward to facing in the post-season that year. And the thought was the sixth seeded Bulls didn't have much of a chance against Cleveland because the Cavs was so incredibly deep (and still had Ron Harper) while the Bulls were known only as a one man crew.

Anyway, long story short, learning about that Cleveland team in real detail (not just looking at basketballreference.com or drawing my own conclusions simply based off the big names they had) really added another layer to my understanding of the importance of Jordan's shot that year. The thought at the time was that Cleveland's run was just beginning, that they'd be challenging for years to come. What could have been, I suppose.

That series was a best of 5.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I'm talking hand check in the sense that a lot of ignorant, unreasonable old heads talk about it. You'd think it was some wall of impenetrable material that prevented anyone from driving into the key.

It was something I've always brought up. Its simply used as a redirecting method of defense, and its still as active today. You can't use it to push other players or hold them as many suggest. The whole soft image the league gets now is because technical and unsportsmanlike fouls are called more often. And for good reason; we don't want players injured.
    Nobody with any knowledge calls it any wall of anything. It's hand checking. You throw a guy off his rhythm, change his pattern. It's incredibly effective by guys who study balance , leverage, geometry.
    The great masters of handcheck could knock 4 or 5 or more points off an elite scorers average.

And the whole soft image is because it IS soft. Don't call it anything but soft when like 5 hours ago JJ Barea just got tossed out of a game for pushing Ray Allen. It has nothing to do with injuries it has to do with girlie mentality of fans that play 2k instead of hoops