Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When does your vertical start to drop?

Hey everyone,

We've all seen players like Vince Carter go through the process of losing their vertical year by year, and it isn't too pretty watching a reknown dunker lose so much of his hops. Right now I'm 21 years old, 6'1, and my vert is about 37-38 inches. Now I know it's not a fundamental part of the game which is technically unnecessary, but I can't help but feel a little uneasy about the day I can no longer dunk.

The wear and tear you put on your legs probably has a lot to do with it, as well as the shape you keep your whole body in. But assuming they stay in shape, I've heard that players reach their athletic peaks around 22-24 - does that sound about right? I know Dwight Howard gained a tonne of vert between the age of 18 and 20, and he seems to have increased it even more this year.

Any other opinions on when people's jumping ability starts to decline?

High School Starter otmtheshank's Avatar

Default Re: When does your vertical start to drop?

I recall hearing multiple times that a person's prime in terms of athleticism is usually in their early 20's. Of course, there are tons of people who reach their primes in later years, but if an athlete stays on a consistent workout/diet routine, then their best results should end up in the age range you mentioned.

National High School Star ILballa's Avatar

It's different for different people.

I usually hit open layups determined2win's Avatar

one thing is as you get older your body parts no longer function as well as they used to, its natural, sometimes you can regain it, sometimes you cant.

Learning to shoot layups

Technically, your overall potential is at its peak when you're 21. However, unless you're training 24 hours a day, its uncommon to ever reach your maximum potential fitness. With this in mind, you should be able to keep improving up until your late twenties, when the decline will become a little more noticeable

__________________________________________________ __________________
    11 ideas to improve your mental ability in basketball.
    http://www.best-basketball-tips.com/...an-within.html

Plus, lots of FREE stuff at:
    www.best-basketball-tips.com

Decent college freshman supersmashbros's Avatar

As you mentioned yourself, your vertical isn't that important for your game, so I suppose if you happen to lose a little over time it wouldn't really affect your game? But I suppose you as long as you vertical is sufficient than you shouldn't worry to much about it.

NBA Superstar

I can relate to the original poster. I've been dunking like crazy over the past 5 years out of fear that I might lose the ability any day now. However, I am 25 and honestly dunking better than ever. I know my day will come, and I know it won't affect my game per se, but I just love dunking. It will take a lot of the fun out of basketball for me. It is a strong source of pride, one of the best feelings in the world, and often makes me stand out amongst a crowd.

F Bombs. Does this mean my Vert is going to go on the decline soon? I'm turning 24 in August and this past year I am finally able to dunk. (When I was 18 I couldn't palm a ball but I could grab rim with both hands easy). From ages 20-22 I had fallen out of shape and couldnt even grab rim.

At 23 I started working furiously to get it back and now I can dunk it off one leg. I can't throw it down hard but I can get it in. Am I bound to lose this in a few years?

6' - 175lbs, play and workout almost everyday except game days.

Quote Originally Posted by 3stat2
    I know Dwight Howard gained a tonne of vert between the age of 18 and 20, and he seems to have increased it even more this year.
    Howard worked much on his vertical, basically because he's a center, and he needs to gain vertical to block balls. Centers don't work (often) on 3pt shots or something, so his vertical is one of the most important aspects of his game...

I guess at the age of 25-27 your legs (as an athlete) start to decline. F.e. Bryant doesn't quite have the hops he had in his early years. When their vert. is going down, you see players evolve into more consistent shooters...

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Not really sure, since I haven't even reached 20s yet, but I think when you abruptly change your regular workout (in a negative way) or maybe stop working out and practicing your jump, you lose some of it.

Made that high school varsity squad Batman's Avatar

Everybody is different. Demetrius Hook Michell is 5'9 and still dunks over cars at the age of 35

ISH Jump Crew

Quote Originally Posted by supersmashbros
    As you mentioned yourself, your vertical isn't that important for your game, so I suppose if you happen to lose a little over time it wouldn't really affect your game? But I suppose you as long as you vertical is sufficient than you shouldn't worry to much about it.
    He said that dunking wasn't. Vertical is extremely important to basketball. Rebounds, blocked shots, tips, fade-aways, dunking (highest percentage shot). Basketball is a game of jumping, if you can out-jump your opponent at the level of basketball most of us play, you will have a huge advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo
    He said that dunking wasn't. Vertical is extremely important to basketball. Rebounds, blocked shots, tips, fade-aways, dunking (highest percentage shot). Basketball is a game of jumping, if you can out-jump your opponent at the level of basketball most of us play, you will have a huge advantage.
    My bad...jumping is of course very important for the game, but dunking is not (that's unless you can't score in any way). I am not sure what the average vertical leap is for a healthy (but non-athletic) adult male or female? I think my vertical of 28-30 inches is pretty impressive for a largely sedentary, non-sports active guy (I can just barely touch the rim with my standing reach of 7,7 ish with shoes on).

Saw a basketball once

If you avoid injury to your joints you can definitely keep improving your vertical for many years to come. This is because the human peak strength years are around the ages of 28-30. If you look at the Olympic jump records, many of them were set by athletes in their late 20s. At some point though, the joints start to become less elastic, and most people simply get out of shape as they age.

Quote Originally Posted by iambeinreal
    If you avoid injury to your joints you can definitely keep improving your vertical for many years to come. This is because the human peak strength years are around the ages of 28-30. If you look at the Olympic jump records, many of them were set by athletes in their late 20s. At some point though, the joints start to become less elastic, and most people simply get out of shape as they age.
    So I guess I am not at my peak physical strength yet? That's good because once your physic declines, that would suck.