Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Predict Kobe's FG% this year

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    People don't realize how many times Kobe had to take bailout shots because the offense was so stagnant. The team would waste time and give it to Kobe last second to pull off a miracle.
    A lot of people don't watch the games and just look at box scores and assume all Kobe did was shot jack. 41%? Really? Some people so desperately root for his failure. With the help he has now he will most likely end up shooting a better percentage and not a far worse one. Now he will get to play less minutes, have less ball handling pressure and more options to dish the ball out to. The assumption that he would shoot anywhere from 39%-43% sounds ridiculous. The disrespect a legend gets...

Banned

17th season and still going strong.

30,000 + pts
    All-NBA 1st team
    All-Defense
    Top 5 in MVP voting

haters gonna hate.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

It's amazing how Kobe was actually 43.0% last year. It felt like 35.0% when I was watching him play every game.

I don't see what the big deal was about Kobe shooting 43% last season. OMG, a whole 2% decrease.

45% - Good
    43% - Shot jacking selfish loser

People are goofy.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    I don't see what the big deal was about Kobe shooting 43% last season. OMG, a whole 2% decrease.

45% - Good
    43% - Shot jacking selfish loser

People are goofy.
    Nobody ever thought Kobe's 45% was ever good.

People have been on Kobe's low FG% his entire career mainly because of how high Lebron, MJ, and Wade's FG% are.

Samurai Swoosh

More efficient Iverson, thus a 45% FG percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Despite Iversons low FG%, he was great in his own right. Regardless, Kobe is no Iverson. Kobe is above and beyond Iverson in nearly every way imaginable. To call him a more efficient Iverson was to try to belittle him right? It's like calling LeBron a more efficient Tmac or Shawn Kemp. Just leave and never come back, FUKKIN tool

5-time NBA All-Star

Off the top 43.5 %.

If the puzzle works for him 45.
    If he gets annoyed that even when he's hot he can't dominate the ball then its 42%.

He has to leave his instinctive game to make the team work. Kobe got used to teams being built around him so this will be different and kind of mess with his concentration a bit. Kobe is still the scorer on this team but he has to be decoy and facilitator as well. So he has to fight old habits of being the man, while letting DH be the man, still Kobe will actually have to be the man, cause he's still the finisher. Yeah, its complicated for Kobe.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Depends. If most of his shots come in iso's, then probably a similar outing like last season. If he gets more of his shots off the ball, then I could see him in the 45-48 range.

7-time NBA All-Star

I'm not sure Nash will change Kobe's FG% much. Kobe isn't the type of player whose going to benefit much from a point guard. He's always been a guy who prefers to create his own shot and in general, players who are more finishers, particularly big men like Tyson Chandler for example are guys who benefit more from great passing point guards. I'd say Dwight, and perhaps Gasol to a lesser extent may benefit. But we're not going to see Phoenix Steve Nash. He's not going to have the ball in his hands at all times in a system that maximizes his strengths. Nash can definitely help this team a lot for a variety of reasons, but I doubt we'll see him average double figure assists or make the all-star team.

Anyway, I see Kobe averaging about 24/5/4, 44 FG%.

Quote Originally Posted by AirTupac
    People don't realize how many times Kobe had to take bailout shots because the offense was so stagnant. The team would waste time and give it to Kobe last second to pull off a miracle.
    I blame Mike Brown for some of their offensive struggles, but some of those bailout shots were Kobe's fault. He dribbled and held the ball quite a bit last year. He has to make quicker, more decisive moves, imo, especially with all of the offensive talent on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    He has to leave his instinctive game to make the team work. Kobe got used to teams being built around him so this will be different and kind of mess with his concentration a bit. Kobe is still the scorer on this team but he has to be decoy and facilitator as well. So he has to fight old habits of being the man, while letting DH be the man, still Kobe will actually have to be the man, cause he's still the finisher. Yeah, its complicated for Kobe.
    Good post, I agree with a lot of this. There are arguments for both Kobe and Dwight to be the first option. Kobe can get his shot from anywhere whenever he wants and makes his free throws, but Dwight will get more high percentage shots, be a lot more efficient and has the physical presence that will get teams into foul trouble. Especially if we see 2011 Dwight. Actually, Dwight's improved passing out of double teams last year makes him a more attractive offensive option, but he has to at least his FT% up to his usual 59-60%. He's not dominant enough to really get away with shooting below 50% like he did last season. What's funny is that you can still make a case than Gasol deserves to be more featured in the offense than Dwight, but after seeing Brown make Gasol the 3rd option in favor of an inferior offensive player Bynum, we know that won't come into play.

Anyway, Kobe will be the first option for at least this year. That's obvious, but who should be the first option is up for debate.
    Last edited by ShaqAttack3234; 10-14-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Career TS%

Jordan - 56.9
    Kobe - 55.4
    Iverson - 51.8

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

FG %

Hollinger generation
    Last edited by Rubio2Gasol; 10-14-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Very good NBA starter

People act like FG% is the end all and be all when judging players. In fact I only see it ever brought up to hate on Kobe or Iverson, yet it's always ignored when bigs shoot below standards.

I don't expect Kobe's FG% to skyrocket up to 50%, I mean he never was the type of player to just play offball a lot and spot up, things like that. He prefers to initiate things off the dribble. I think he could shoot anywhere from 43-45%. I'll give him a 45% since Nash should definitely take some of the scoring load off Kobe, less shot attempts should mean higher effciency

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    People act like FG% is the end all and be all when judging players. In fact I only see it ever brought up to hate on Kobe or Iverson, yet it's always ignored when bigs shoot below standards.

This, the difference between someone shooting 45% and 50% is only making one extra shot in every 20. The bail out shots star players have to take can easily account for this. Too much is made of fg%