Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: Heat Appear Set With Starting Shane Battier At Power Forward

Not gonna matter as much as people want to believe. I remember years ago when Adam Morrison was drafted it was said he would have to play some 4 and there was a huge argument on how he would just get murdered. And one would assume that if they just isolated him and backed him down over and over he would...but teams dont do that.

They dont do it to Earl Boykins, they dont do it when Hakim Warrick guards a big bodied center, and they wont do it on Battier.

Darius Miles, Tyrone Nesby, Dennis Rodman, Andres nocioni, Rodney Mccray, Shawn marion, Kenny Walker, and plenty of other guys around Battiers size have been guarding 4s for decades. And most arent as smart or hard working on defense.

They still have Lebron who is about Karl Malones size, Bosh, haslem, Anthony, and so on. It wont be a problem vs many teams.

How many teams even have two bigmen who can score worth a damn? And of those who do...how many are actually gonna keep going to him?

Be an issue vs the Lakers but I suspect they will work something out over the 100 games before they could play them in a game that matters.

I suspect their many coaches noticed the same potential issues ISH posters did.
    Last edited by Kblaze8855; 10-14-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Lebronyte Kryptonite

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    Appears thats whats being said

thoughts? think they may get away with this vs most teams.
    IMO, this will work about as well as Bosh playing C. May work vs weaker teams, but they get their a**** whopped against experienced teams

Near-Life Experience TheGreatDeraj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    I think the main reason Battier is gonna play the PF position, is for the defensive side of things.

This'll keep Bron rested and away from foul trouble. It will allow him to roam like Scottie did, and help on the big men.

The Heat are betting on putting all the defensive pressure on the wing players. They attempt to tire them out and make it hard for them to dump the ball inside. They did this with mixed results last night, we'll see what adjustments they make.
    Yea I agree with what you're saying and like the strategy for 90% of the teams in this league. However, I would be surprised if battier defends all game the bigger pf's with post games like pau gasol, zach randolph, maybe dirk, perhaps aldridge or al jefferson. kevin love might even be a tough matchup for battier with his size and rebounding ability. Josh smith might even give battier problems with his strength, speed and jumping abilty.

I think Lebron will primarily guard those guys or at least split the duty with Battier. The only way I see Battier playing those guys all game or in crunch time would be with a lot of double teaming and using wade, lebron and chalmers speed to force turnovers, but I think 1on 1 would be the way to go they'd give up too many open looks having to double all the time in my opinion. I could be wrong but that's how I see it for now

NBA rookie of the year

I swear you would think Miami didn't win the title last year with the exact formula, with some of the drivel you read on here.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatDeraj
    Yea I agree with what you're saying and like the strategy for 90% of the teams in this league. However, I would be surprised if battier defends all game the bigger pf's with post games like pau gasol, zach randolph, maybe dirk, perhaps aldridge or al jefferson. kevin love might even be a tough matchup for battier with his size and rebounding ability. Josh smith might even give battier problems with his strength, speed and jumping abilty.

I think Lebron will primarily guard those guys or at least split the duty with Battier. The only way I see Battier playing those guys all game or in crunch time would be with a lot of double teaming and using wade, lebron and chalmers speed to force turnovers, but I think 1on 1 would be the way to go they'd give up too many open looks having to double all the time in my opinion. I could be wrong but that's how I see it for now
    Some will laugh, but Joel will be able to do a good job vs most of the top PFs. The issue they had last season was placing him at center when he's only 6'9, even then he did a good job for the most part.

People will point out certain match ups vs elite players, but elite players can't be guarded with single coverage anyways.

Lebronyte Kryptonite

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    I swear you would think Miami didn't win the title last year with the exact formula, with some of the drivel you read on here.
    Yeah....I know....right?

They sure as hell didn't win it based on Battier's supposed "lock down" D, all you FAKE Heat fans were raving about. I seem to remember y'all were the very same ones claiming he was supposedly garbage early on in the season. Yeah...but NOW cuz they won the title, it's all good....right?
    Last edited by LakersReign; 10-14-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Very good NBA starter

As long as they have Lebron and Wade playing like themselves they're still the favorites

Local High School Star 2swift4u's Avatar

there's also Udonis Haslem at the PF position, in case Miami needs a stronger body.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by PJR
    Yes I'm sure Miami will play the exact same teams and the coaches won't make adjustments this year too. I with all the shit Heat fans talk you'd think they've won the past 10 championships

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by longtime lurker
    Yes I'm sure Miami will play the exact same teams and the coaches won't make adjustments this year too. I with all the shit Heat fans talk you'd think they've won the past 10 championships
    The roster/personnell among the contenders in the East hasn't changed that drastically, so yeah Miami is likely to face a similiar pathway as last year.

And miss me with your hyperbole. If you don't want to hear facts, then keep it moving.

Banned

Battier and Lebron will probably switch off at Power Forward. I wouldn't classify either one as a SF or PF though. I would just simply list them as forwards. Miami is not a traditional team.

The only reason why Battier will play/defend PF more times than not is because of how much of a beating Lebron will take offensively. Battier has more energy to deal with the taxing at the PF spot but I think if the Heat really need Lebron to play PF, he will.

Quote Originally Posted by LakersReign
    Yeah....I know....right?

They sure as hell didn't win it based on Battier's supposed "lock down" D, all you FAKE Heat fans were raving about. I seem to remember y'all were the very same ones claiming he was supposedly garbage early on in the season. Yeah...but NOW cuz they won the title, it's all good....right?
    Well the recipe worked nonetheless.

It will work out overall, but they are going to have a lot of matchup issues. There's no getting around it.

They'll cause some too, but I don't know how well it will work in their favor as even a pf can pseudo guard Battier.

Rebounding is something to keep an eye on.

I think the Heat should have taken a chance on Perry Jones, Arnett Moultrie or Festus Ezeli in the draft personally. Oh well.

Battier will only be PF on paper. Lebron will guard anyone he needs to as will Battier. Both will be much more effective matching up with guys their own size. Battier is getting old. And seeing how many charges he takes, i would bet he would rather have Paul Pierce run him over instead of Serge Ibaka