Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Bioshock Infinite

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    The darker, Apocalyptic setting in Emporia isn't really my thing, but I'm so hooked on the game and getting to the end now, it doesn't really bother me. If the game had started off this way, I probably would've only come back to it a few more times before being completely done with it.
    I'm with you on that 100%. I very much favored the pre-apocalyptic setting but as you said, I was so locked into the story at that point, I accepted the change without much issue. On subsequent plays, that portion of the game would stick out as my least favorite.

Also, regarding the sniper rifle, good call. I didn't try to use it extensively until my second play through. I didn't know what I was missing.

Can someone who's very knowledgeable of this game tell me if Infinite is more like the original Bioshock or Bioshock 2? ... or if this game has an entirely new and original look and feel to it? I absolutely adored BS1 but was surprisingly immensely disappointed with BS2. So, someone who's already mastered this game or knows a great deal about it, let me know what I should expect.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
    Can someone who's very knowledgeable of this game tell me if Infinite is more like the original Bioshock or Bioshock 2? ... or if this game has an entirely new and original look and feel to it? I absolutely adored BS1 but was surprisingly immensely disappointed with BS2. So, someone who's already mastered this game or knows a great deal about it, let me know what I should expect.
    Infinite was the first Bioshock I ever played (I've since played the original). In terms of atmosphere, setting, and tone, I'd say Infinite varies greatly from the first two.

As someone who's not a huge fan of shooting zombie-like enemies, I very much preferred the atmosphere of Infinite. There's still unease and mystery (and gore), but it's not as closed in and claustrophobic as the originals. It feels like there's something bigger happening and the game itself is rich with political overtones (the kind that make you ponder as opposed to the kind that make you lean).

Gameplay remains similar. I personally felt the combat was better in Infinite than BS1. Too often in the original, it felt like the opponent was attacking with no rhyme or reason, often limiting strategy from my end and leading to a lot of random gunning or wrench beating. Infinite seems to allow at least a few more opportunities for a strategic and effective approach without compromising difficulty.

In short, I pretty much thought Infinite improved upon nearly everything included in BS1. Hacking is no longer present and guns cannot be visibly upgraded (power, precision, and clip size can still be increased, but no graphical upgrades to the weapons take place when performed). Those were just footnotes to me though. I actually wasn't much a fan of the puzzle hacks in the first place. Also, I think the Skyhook more than makes up for those losses anyhow.

I'm not usually a fan of this genre, but Bioshock: Infinite is one of the best games I've ever played.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 05-30-2013 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I'm with you on that 100%. I very much favored the pre-apocalyptic setting but as you said, I was so locked into the story at that point, I accepted the change without much issue. On subsequent plays, that portion of the game would stick out as my least favorite.

Also, regarding the sniper rifle, good call. I didn't try to use it extensively until my second play through. I didn't know what I was missing.
    It took me a little while to realize sniper rifle was probably the way to go in a lot of battles. I don't remember which battle it was exactly, but there was one where a sniper was just sitting there right before it started, so I assumed it'd be useful; and I've stuck with that the rest of the way. I can usually pick-off all but maybe 5 enemies in a battle with a sniper rifle; and that's only because usually several will eventually make their way to where I'm hiding and I have to hit 'em with a vigor or melee attack. And obviously it's harder to kill the Crows, Handymen, Firemen, etc. with a sniper since it takes too long to get off multiple shots.

Alright, so what's the secret on what I think is the final battle where you have to protect the generator? I just tried it 3 times to no avail. I do good until the Patriots start showing up because it takes too damn long to get rid of them. I can even get through the first group of Patriots and take out two zeppelins; but by the time the second group of Patriots arrive and I get rid of them, the generator life is almost completely gone.

This game is so overrated IMO. I'm 3/4 of the way through but have no motivation to finish it. I will though cos I want to play Last of Us in 2 weeks

NBA Superstar

Alright, so what's the secret on what I think is the final battle where you have to protect the generator? I just tried it 3 times to no avail. I do good until the Patriots start showing up because it takes too damn long to get rid of them. I can even get through the first group of Patriots and take out two zeppelins; but by the time the second group of Patriots arrive and I get rid of them, the generator life is almost completely gone.
    It depends what route you want to go. If you want to finish by any means possible, there's a near sure fire way to make it happen. It almost feels like cheating even though it's completely legit.

If you happened to find the Return to Sender vigor, attaching a few of those traps/shields to the generator will really, really buy you some time. Also, I never used the skyhook during that battle the first time, but it's actually very useful to keep you moving and getting a clean look at the rocket launcher fellows on the far end of the deck, either for shooting or jump attacking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    It depends what route you want to go. If you want to finish by any means possible, there's a near sure fire way to make it happen. It almost feels like cheating even though it's completely legit.

If you happened to find the Return to Sender vigor, attaching a few of those traps/shields to the generator will really, really buy you some time. Also, I never used the skyhook during that battle the first time, but it's actually very useful to keep you moving and getting a clean look at the rocket launcher fellows on the far end of the deck, either for shooting or jump attacking them.
    Is the Return to Sender vigor the "sure fire almost feel like your cheating" way to do it or is there another way? I don't want to know the other way right now, but after I give it another try or two or three I might cave just so I can see the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    This game is so overrated IMO. I'm 3/4 of the way through but have no motivation to finish it. I will though cos I want to play Last of Us in 2 weeks
    Why do you say that? I'm far from an expert on these type of games, but I can certainly see why so many people raved about it. The storyline is great, the detail is incredible, and some parts are somewhat challenging. Admittedly, after I got used to mixing vigors and using my guns, the battles did get pretty easy; but there were still a few that took me a couple of tries to get through.

NBA Superstar

Is the Return to Sender vigor the "sure fire almost feel like your cheating" way to do it or is there another way? I don't want to know the other way right now, but after I give it another try or two or three I might cave just so I can see the ending.
    Yeah, the Retrun to Sender is the one I was referring to. I mean, it's not cheating, but it's a game-changer. You can still fail, but it offers a lot of assistance. If you choose not to use it, lighter advice would again be to use the skyline.

Also, I'm not a fan of this strategy, but it's possible for you to destroy the zeppelins instead of using the dragon. It takes a long time for him to recover from taking zeppelins down so some people prefer to destroy the zeps themselves and using the big fellow on the deck more frequently.

NBA Superstar

The first Infinite DLC released today. It takes place in Rapture the day before things begin to go awry.

NBA Superstar

The final piece of the Infinite DLC is set to drop tomorrow. I am intrigued.