Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Serious playground baller Sekman's Avatar

Default Re: The NBA of 2009: 6 on 5!

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    Here's the scenario:

Boston @ Portland, end of the second quarter, 10.1 seconds left on the clock. Portland is passing the ball inbounds with six players in the game. Oden gets the ball and passes to Outlaw for the jam to end the half. The entire Celtics team and staff are going insane.

The referee's say it was their mistake, they allow the basket, and Boston shoots a technical free throw.

Let me say that again, they allowed the basket.

Refs call the league office, their response is that it's a technicality and the bucket is good, and there's nothing they can do about it.

What's to stop a team for having 6 guys on the floor at any given time to score a three? All the other team gets is a technical free throw.

Absurd. I don't even want to watch the NBA anymore.
    don't watch it then, celtics suck anyways

iWANNAgoHIGHER. emsteez forreal's Avatar

Here's the scenario:

Boston @ Portland, end of the second quarter, 10.1 seconds left on the clock. Portland is passing the ball inbounds with six players in the game. Oden gets the ball and passes to Outlaw for the jam to end the half. The entire Celtics team and staff are going insane.

The referee's say it was their mistake, they allow the basket, and Boston shoots a technical free throw.

Refs call the league office, their response is that it's a technicality and the bucket is good, and there's nothing they can do about it.

What's to stop a team for having 6 guys on the floor at any given time to score a three? All the other team gets is a technical free throw.

Absurd. I don't even want to watch the NBA anymore.
    oh noes!!1 and nothing ever happened to KG when he pushed a ref . so what?

shhhhhhh

how often are points taken away on technical fouls?

trying to go back and i can't remember points being taken away on a tech...

anyone?

Default Re: Blazers score basket against Celtics using six players on the court

LOL I can picture it right now:

Mike D'Antoni realizes he can use this to his advantage.

He spreads the floor with 5 shooters all around the perimeter.

Jerome James sits under the basket with the camera people

All of a sudden, Jerome James puts down his popcorn, gets up and catches a pass from Duhon and scores.

Opponents inbound ball.

plus 1 for the knicks!

Quote Originally Posted by PK3434
    LOL I can picture it right now:
    How fast do you think Stern would fine the Knicks?

C'mon, it was an honest mistake by Blazers and refs. If teams tried this purposely, the organization would be fined or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    I'm saying that, given the info you provided (I didn't know that the league said they acted correctly) they did the best they could under the circumstance. But that isn't the same thing as making it "right."
    Really? That's the tack your gonna take?

How about "making right" the four steps by Pierce that magically turned into a foul?

How about "making right" the Tony Allen foul that occurred almost two seconds and 18 feet from the shot, yet was still a shooting foul?

How about "making right" the stiff arm push from Rondo that allowed him to put up a three on Blake late in the game?

How about "making right" the flagrant 1 that should have been called on Eddie House as it's league policy to call any excessive contact at the neck or higher a flagrant?

How about "making right" the travelling call on Jerryd Bayless as he crossed over Ray Allen, despite the fact that he took one step before dribbling, not three?

How about "making right" the obvious technical during Sergio Rodrigez's foul shots as Paul Pierce stood out of place, directly in front of Sergio, stopping the play to talk trash?

You know, as long as we're holding the refs to the standard of "making it right"...

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by JordanL

How about "making right" the four steps by Pierce that magically turned into a foul?

How about "making right" the Tony Allen foul that occurred almost two seconds and 18 feet from the shot, yet was still a shooting foul?

How about "making right" the stiff arm push from Rondo that allowed him to put up a three on Blake late in the game?

How about "making right" the flagrant 1 that should have been called on Eddie House as it's league policy to call any excessive contact at the neck or higher a flagrant?

How about "making right" the travelling call on Jerryd Bayless as he crossed over Ray Allen, despite the fact that he took one step before dribbling, not three?

How about "making right" the obvious technical during Sergio Rodrigez's foul shots as Paul Pierce stood out of place, directly in front of Sergio, stopping the play to talk trash?

You know, as long as we're holding the refs to the standard of "making it right"...
    some errors are inarguably more egregious than others. First rule of basketball: 5 v 5. even a hothead like you understand this deep inside.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    How fast do you think Stern would fine the Knicks?

C'mon, it was an honest mistake by Blazers and refs. If teams tried this purposely, the organization would be fined or worse.
    i know..i was just joking around.

Banned

Someone mentioned that this whole fiasco was a morale breaker for the Celtics which lead to the loss and that couldn't be more true... but, that doesn't mean its a valid excuse. Garnett lets this type of thing get into his head way too much, even though taking things too seriously often works to his advantage. It simply didn't last night.

When you have as much influence over younger players like Garnett does you have to lead by example. I'm not going to lie, though... this whole thing is pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurrender
    some errors are inarguably more egregious than others. First rule of basketball: 5 v 5. even a hothead like you understand this deep inside.
    More egregious? No. Do they make the officials look like bigger idiots? Yes.

But all of those calls I listed above have as much of a point impact as the 6v5 situation, and the point impact is what directly affects the game. The Rondo pushoff for example is a potential six point swing.

I haven't been complaining about the refs, I was reacting to the ridiculous insinuation by RMWG that certain errors should be corrected based on a karma type arrangement instead of the letter of the rules, especially when you start with a low-impact rule such as the whining, sniviling complaint that he levied.

You guys were a trash team two season ago, yet you already forgot how to lose... suck it up and move on. Christ, you guys act like Portland was sitting behind the scorers table, cackling as they added points by pressing a button. Get over yourselves.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

"Morale Breaker?" It pissed the Cs off but didn't break the team's spirit, Garnett, Pierce, etc. were still playing hard and focused. They just lost. What really killed the team was getting beat on the boards, which was happening both before and after 6 on 5.

Serious playground baller

But all of those calls I listed above have as much of a point impact as the 6v5 situation, and the point impact is what directly affects the game. The Rondo pushoff for example is a potential six point swing.

I haven't been complaining about the refs, I was reacting to the ridiculous insinuation by RMWG that certain errors should be corrected based on a karma type arrangement instead of the letter of the rules, especially when you start with a low-impact rule such as the whining, sniviling complaint that he levied.

You guys were a trash team two season ago, yet you already forgot how to lose... suck it up and move on. Christ, you guys act like Portland was sitting behind the scorers table, cackling as they added points by pressing a button. Get over yourselves.
    this isn't about point impact. this is about the very foundation of the fuc*ing game.

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

I mention a simple fact and you get upset. A bit touchy, it seems. I'm not even making a big deal over it. Whatever though.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    I saw no make-up call. Whatever though.
    Thats because you were wearing green colored glasses. The entire 2nd half the Blazers got raped on calls. Actually, the entire game was called terribly both ways.

Blu Ray

All of those are judgment calls. The 6 v 5 is a procedural call. Big difference.