Page 23 of 53 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: Season of the tank!-2013-14 regular season

Unmask him

Forward Marvin Williams has been playing with a protective mask after breaking his nose in a game earlier this season. Williams said he

[QUOTE]"It gives me a little motivation going into those games," said the point guard as he prepared to face Oladipo and the Magic on Wednesday night.

Of the eight players taken ahead of Burke, Oladipo is seen as the biggest competitor for the rookie prize. But while Burke said winning the award is a goal, it

[QUOTE]Look at the lines of some of his better games: 20 points and five assists against the Spurs, 10 points and 10 assists at Denver, 11 points and nine assists at Sacramento, 19 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists against the Kings, 21 points and six assists against Houston, 20 points, six rebounds, three assists against Phoenix. In his last 10 games, he

The Jazz face an interesting season in terms of trading and what exactly they are looking for. Jazz fans have been very keen on this reality, realizing that the Jazz are probably not looking to trade for players that will help their immediate future, but may even seek to trade away helpful players like Marvin Williams or Richard Jefferson, or Brandon Rush in order to accumulate future assets in the form of picks and young players with cheap contracts.
    Rush I want to keep at least until he starts playing well assuming he does before the deadline.

The premise of almost any hypothetical trade for the Jazz should assume that the Jazz are holding onto Trey Burke, Alec Burks, Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors and Enes Kanter
    Could definitely see Enes being traded right now. Possibly Hayward if they think they will lose him.

, although it goes without saying that if the Jazz were able to acquire something obviously "better" than any of those players, the Jazz would not hesitate in trading them as well.

On top of all this, trading season will be interesting this year, as almost every team will seek to keep their 2014 first round pick in this talented draft. Obviously some teams, like the Suns, have made their 2014 first rounders available, but it is difficult to know, and I would guess not, if the Jazz have talent worthy of high picks for this upcoming year.
    Horny would love G. Maybe Kanter too with his shooting ability. Phoenix pick wouldn't be very high right now though!

As always, trade season always takes two to tango and so the Jazz also have to locate teams that are looking for what the Jazz are offering AND that have the assets that the Jazz are looking for in return. If I had to list teams I think the Jazz could partner with in a trade from most likely down, my list would look like this:

Miami Heat
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Denver Nuggets
    Cleveland Cavaliers

The Jazz as buyers:

The Jazz aren't specifically looking to upgrade their roster for this season, so the team is not likely to make a trade to bring in current talent. After all, this year is about development and discovery of Burke, Burks, Hayward, Kanter, Favors, and Gobert. Bringing in a starter quality veteran is counter productive. The Jazz do wish to buy more 2014 draft picks, be them protected first rounders, unprotected first rounders, and second rounders. Dennis Lindsey has shown the ability and willingness to combine assets in draft day deals in order to move up for the player that he wants. The Jazz did this three times last draft; moving up to get Trey Burke (at the expense of Shabazz Muhammad and Gorgui Dieng), moving up to get Rudy Gobert (at the expense of Erick Green and cash); and moving back into the draft to get Raul Neto (for a future second round pick).

Lindsey wants picks. Period.
    He wants assets. Young players, cash, Euro stash etc. qualify as well.

And he has vets on expiring deals (and cap space, so I could see the Jazz trading a vet + money for a pick) to move to teams who want to improve their bench depth. If we go beyond what we want, the Jazz do still kind of need more depth at back up point guard. Jamaal Tinsley was signed and then cut early this season. John Lucas III has been a train wreck. Diante Garrett has looked worse every week after his NB-DL call up. Maybe the Jazz org are happy with this current situation and look to bring Neto over next year and fill that spot. If the team wants to not fix this problem of PG depth that's okay, because it means more losses. And like I said earlier, the team is trying to capitalize on their failures this year for ping pong balls this summer.

The Jazz should target teams with first round picks (duh), but not necessarily lotto picks. If Utah combines their lotto pick, plus the Golden State 1st rounder they already own (which may or may not be a lotto pick in the tough Western Conference), plus any other 1st rounders they may have -- they will no doubt be capable of trading up for at the worst, the #2 pick in the 2014 NBA Draft.

If Utah is targeting a type of player to sure up their PG spot they'd want a legit veteran at PG who isn't better than Trey, but has more actual playing experience than Lucas and Garrett. He should be able to make the spot up three pointer, run a team, and play a bit of defense. I don't think such a complete PG exists, or if he did, he wouldn't want to come off the bench. This guy is apparently Chauncey Billups, but there's only one of him.

The Jazz as sellers:

The only real carrot the Jazz have that they are willing to give up on are the mercenaries. Er, I mean the vets who are good enough to fill out a contender's bench rotation -- with little risk as they are all in contract years and their deals run out at the end of this season. These guys are Richard Jefferson, Marvin Williams, Brandon Rush, and Andris Biedrins. Though, I don't think many teams would want Beans. I do know that no team wants Lucas. So it's really these three wing capable players who can defend a little and hit the three.
    All of them could be in trads because they are expiring! Biedrins can rebound and defend. Lucas is a capable 3rd pg. Rush needs to show he can still play!

I would keep Marvin if at all possible, but he seems to have the most utility. He's a small forward who can play as a stretch big at the four spot.
    Though he can't play the 3! I'd move him before they get any idea of re-signing him!

Moving one of Marvin or Richard means more time on the court for a 1, 2, 3 lineup of Burke, Burks, and Hayward. Because of this movement of Hayward from the 2 to the 3, it means less of a wing logjam.
    Depends on what comes back in the trade.

It also, in the case of moving only one of Marvin or Richard, means more playing time for the remaining vet at the 3 spot -- and thus frees up 10-15 mpg at the four spot for one of the Jazz qualifying bigs there. Right now because Tyrone Corbin is adamant on starting a 2, 3, 4 group of Hayward, Jefferson, and Williams it means less minutes for Alec Burks at the wing, and less minutes for Enes Kanter, and Rudy Gobert at the 4 and the 5.

All three of those younger players should be the focus this season, and not the three SG/SFs named Jefferson, Williams, or Rush (who's minutes are going up). The clear surplus is at veteran small forwards who can hit threes. If you want one, or more, please have a draft pick ready. I am assuming that the Jazz can also send some cash over to mitigate some of the costs as we're under the cap.
    Except Jefferson all those guys are young enough to be part of the future too.

Specific Trade Ideas:

I'm going back to people smarter than I to figure these out.

Trade 1: Brandon Rush (UTA) for Joel Anthony (MIA) and Philadelphia's protected 2013 1st round pick

Why the Jazz do it: This first round pick is arguably the best pick available to the Jazz without giving up one of their best 6 players. It is protected in 2014 and 2015, so that if Philadelphia misses the playoffs the next two seasons, this pick would turn into 2 second round picks (2015 & 2016). Two second rounders would still be valuable if Brandon Rush isn't in the long term plans for the Jazz, although the Jazz would probably be stuck with Anthony's $3.8 million next season. Also, there is a chance that Philadelphia could be a playoff team next season with a high draft pick and Nerlens Noel and the weak Eastern Conference.

Why the Heat do it: If Brandon Rush gets back even near his pre injury self, he would be a perfect complement to the Miami Heat team both offensively and defensively. The Heat love to spread out the floor offensively and Rush is one of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA over the last few seasons. Defensively, Rush could give some rest to both Lebron James and Dwyane Wade. The Heat would be thrilled to pick up Rush for Anthony, if they didn't think they would miss the pick.
    Williams might make more sense for the heat.

Trade 2: Brandon Rush (UTA) for Dante Cunningham (MIN), Rony Turiaf (MIN), and 2 second round picks (2014, 2015)

Why the Jazz do it: Like the previous trade, the Jazz may not be able to cash in on another first round pick for 2014, but two second round picks can be very valuable, especially with good scouting.

Why the Timberwolves do it: The Wolves would like to make the playoffs and they are going to need all the help they can get in the difficult Western Conference. If Rush proves he's healthy, he would add three point shooting to an already talented offense. But Rush would also be one of Minny's best defenders, as he is arguably a more complete two way player than either Corey Brewer or Luc Richard Mbah Moute.
    Rush is better than a 2nd round pick if he gets right though. I'd probably keep him for the time being.

Trade 3: The rights to Ante Tomic (UTA) for Byron Mullens (LAC), Willie Green (LAC), and a 2014 first round pick

Why the Jazz do it: for the pick of course. And the fact that Tomic will never play for the Jazz. We already have a European center prospect who is much cheaper.

Why the Clippers do it: the Clippers are just about $2 million over the luxury tax line and if they could get under it with a trade that doesn't make them much worse, that's a good deal for them. A pick is a hefty price for doing so, though.
    Yes, these three trades help the Jazz get what they most want, picks. Because I don't want to be "that guy", I'm going to suggest one trade that involves players or something.
    Tomic isn't a prospect at this point. He is one of the top players not in the NBA. They can afford to bring him over next year and they should look at doing so.

Trade 4: John Lucas III (UTA) and cold hard cash for Ramon Sessons (CHA), and 2014 second round pick

Why the Jazz do it: Ramon is making more money than Lucas, but he's a much better player than either Lucas or Garrett. He's vet enough to start for Ty, which is a worry, but he's good enough to actually help this team. Will we win more? Yes. But will he also expedite the learning for some of our players? Also a yes. Getting a 2nd round pick also helps because the Jazz know how to package picks.

Why the Bobcats do it: The Bobcats have two 2014 first rounders (potentially) this year from the Portland Trail Blazers and Detroit Pistons. They could be giving their own 2014 pick to the Chicago Bulls. I think Bobcats balk at moving one of them right now. They wouldn't mind shedding some salary, and their point guard spot seems set. Ramon is playing 21.2 mpg for them right now, but I don't know if they like that he's making $5,000,000 this year. Getting Lucas also helps because he's just the type or person Michael Jordan would love to pick on. So there's that.
    I know my deal sucks, and I'm okay with that. That's why I needed help on this post.
    Can't see the Bobcats doing that one.

I like Evan Turner. If Hayward gets a ridiculous contract offer in the off-season, he's one they should take a look at as a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    I like Evan Turner. If Hayward gets a ridiculous contract offer in the off-season, he's one they should take a look at as a replacement.
    Yeah their numbers before this season have been very similar. Right now Turner should be worth more I'd think. Everyone loves Haward and Turner has been considered a bust because of where he was drafted.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

why isn't Rush getting more minutes?

Because he has sucked except for one game.

Jefferson/Bynum trade being discussed I guess.

Happy New Year!

Simmons reckons the Celtics will make a run at Hayward before the deadline. Will be interesting to see what they offer. Rondo would be the only interesting piece and I can't see him wanting to stay in Utah long term.

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong
    Simmons reckons the Celtics will make a run at Hayward before the deadline. Will be interesting to see what they offer. Rondo would be the only interesting piece and I can't see him wanting to stay in Utah long term.
    Doubt they'd want Rondo. Have to be young guys and picks and expiring contracts if they think he's going to get paid too much in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    Doubt they'd want Rondo. Have to be young guys and picks and expiring contracts if they think he's going to get paid too much in the off season.
    He said the Celtics will offer this years Brooklyn 1st round pick, but Atlanta have the rights to swap theirs with Brooklyn and the Celtics get the worst pick out of the two. So the Hawks would have to start sucking (they're currently 3rd in the East) and the Nets will have to continue to suck to make that appealing.

Seems to think they'll be a chance to offload Green too, but I can't see that happening at all.

Banned

Why is Kanter sucking so badly?

Favors is doing alright.

Millsap is killing it in the ATL especially after Horford went down.

Jazz had just 4 turnover through 3 quarter and then the Nuggets started trapping and the Jazz started to struggle with the ball. It was the only time all night the Jazz clearly missed Gordon Hayward.

Jazz had 64 points in the paint on 32 of 46 shooting.

The Nuggets came into the game as one of the hottest three point shooting teams in the NBA. They had made 12 a game over the 5 game win streak. Tonight they were just 7 of 25.

Derrick Favors put out one of my favorite performances of his young career. He was a beast inside and physically dominated the undersized Nuggets. 14 defensive rebounds is a new career high. 19 points on 7 of 12 shooting. He got the ball in the post and acted quickly using his size to overpower the defenders and he manhandled Faried and Hickson.
    He's not quite the elite rebounder you predicted when the season started based on his pre-season work.

This is a good match-up for the Jazz as has shown up both times the teams have played. Jeremy Evans can use his athletic ability rather than getting caught in a wrestling match and he was very impactful in the 2nd quarter.

Enes Kanter continues to make huge strides defensively. He had good defensive rotations again tonight and offensively made plays.

Marvin once again showed great veteran leadership gaming it through his illness to be the model for this young team
    Seems to me Enes has been playing better and Marvin regressing as expected but the minutes don't reflect that.

Brandon Rush looked better tonight than he has all season and made some athletic plays.
    Hopefully he can get it going. He's shown signs before this year but than sucked again.

Trey Burke struggled in the 4th quarter tonight with the Nuggets defensive pressure but when the night was over he had 18 points, 8 assists on 6 of 12 shooting. Coach Lowe singled out the picks Trey set in the first half to help ignite the offense.
    Stockton taught him something?

Solid win over a hot team. Without Gordon Hayward the Jazz stepped up and played great team basketball and that opened the door for Alec to have an enormous individual night.

Posted in Emptying the Noggin