Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ROSE > THAN YOU IN-PAX-WE-TRUST's Avatar

Default M Beasley is a SF

I'm getting tired of people calling Beasley a PF... are you kidding me? do you honestly think Beasley could defend guys like Boozer, Brand etc... those are true PFs... he is 6'7-6'8 220 pounds... a true PF weights 240.... he is a smaller version of Lebron... do people call Lebron a PF?? his size and game is very similar to Tracy Mcgrady but Beasley is actually shorter! no doubt he is a stud, but he will be a stud at SF... bottom line

Saw a basketball once

Default Re: M Beasley is a SF

Beasley is a shade under 240 lbs.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Beasley is listed at 6'8.25" and 235 pounds.

You understand he dominated at the 4 spot in college?
    He is just as tall as Elton Brand, but has a wider range and is quicker and more athletic than Brand.

And I think Beasley would have an easier time guarding guys like Boozer and Brand over Boozer and Brand trying to keep up with Beasley. People don't understand how good this guy's footwork is. And why is this an issue? Nocioni started at the 4 for a while for Chicago and I don't remember anyone complaining about that. And Nocioni is atleast an inch shorter and 10-15 pounds lighter. Beasley would be able to give you the outside game similar to Nocioni, but Beasley also has the footwork to go inside.

Why don't you wait to see him play in the NBA before you start saying he is to short at 6'8.25" to play the 4. An average 4 in the NBA is probably 6'9"...but 3/4 of an inch makes you to short? Wow. How in the world did Nate Robinson and Earl Boykins EVER make it to the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by KaptnKirk12

He is just as tall as Elton Brand, but has a wider range and is quicker and more athletic than Brand.

And I think Beasley would have an easier time guarding guys like Boozer and Brand over Boozer and Brand trying to keep up with Beasley. People don't understand how good this guy's footwork is. And why is this an issue? Nocioni started at the 4 for a while for Chicago and I don't remember anyone complaining about that. And Nocioni is atleast an inch shorter and 10-15 pounds lighter. Beasley would be able to give you the outside game similar to Nocioni, but Beasley also has the footwork to go inside.

Why don't you wait to see him play in the NBA before you start saying he is to short at 6'8.25" to play the 4. An average 4 in the NBA is probably 6'9"...but 3/4 of an inch makes you to short? Wow. How in the world did Nate Robinson and Earl Boykins EVER make it to the NBA?
    " He dominated the 4 in college"

what the hell does that mean? College players are not physical strong... Lebron would have dominated at 4 in college too... the guy is a sf... bottom line

National High School Star

Beasley
    6'7"
    6' 8.25" w/ shoes
    239lbs
    7' wingspan
    8'11" reach

Elton Brand
    6' 8.25"
    6' 9.5" w/ shoes
    260lbs
    7' 5.5" wingspan
    9' 2" reach

I'm not getting into measurements. It's this simple.

Beasley's game is that of a SF who will grab a lot more rebounds than most SF's.
    Mike already has NBA ready 3 point range. If Beasley is a great shooter already than he needs to be playing the perimeter more as a 3 as oppose to posting up as 4, which he will likely also do, but nowhere near as much as shoot midrange and 3's. Plus Beasley receiving the ball further out playing SF gives him more space to optimize to beat defenders to the rim and finish nasty like he does.

Beasley will be a SF.

Quote Originally Posted by trig
    Beasley
    6'7"
    6' 8.25" w/ shoes
    239lbs
    7' wingspan
    8'11" reach

Elton Brand
    6' 8.25"
    6' 9.5" w/ shoes
    260lbs
    7' 5.5" wingspan
    9' 2" reach
    are you kidding me?? Elton Brand and Beasley couldn't be more apart... Beasley shoots 3's and penetrates the lane... sure he played some 4 in college... but that doesn't mean S**T... Brand is stricly a back to the basket player... are you telling me Tasuan Prince is a PF b/c he is 6'9...

I usually hit open layups

You guys are funny! Anyone who knows anything about basketball will know that Beasley is better suited at the SF position in the NBA. In Pax We Trust couldn't have explained better. Nice post and I'm glad to see someone finally bring this up. He's kinda has a SIMILAR build to Josh Smith. Smith is like 6'9" and he is NOT a PF. Deng is 6'9" and he is NOT a PF. Beasley may weigh more, but who cares. Your weight does not make you a PF. His style of play, his quickness and strength will do him well in the NBA. I originally disagreed with someone on here about the Bulls attempting to make a trade for Beasley AND draft Rose. I would be all for it if they have to trade Deng and plug Beasley at the SF position. Beasley=SF in the NBA. End of discussion..haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Dengness9
    I'm not getting into measurements. It's this simple.

Beasley's game is that of a SF who will grab a lot more rebounds than most SF's.
    Mike already has NBA ready 3 point range. If Beasley is a great shooter already than he needs to be playing the perimeter more as a 3 as oppose to posting up as 4, which he will likely also do, but nowhere near as much as shoot midrange and 3's. Plus Beasley receiving the ball further out playing SF gives him more space to optimize to beat defenders to the rim and finish nasty like he does.

Beasley will be a SF.
    I agree with most of this, but Beasley can easily play 4 in the NBA. I really don't understand why people can't see this. LeBron could play the 4 if he wanted to. Being a PF doesn't automatically make you a back to the basket player, or doesn't mean you are done on the block every time.

Matchups are key in this though.

But how are you going to put a label on the guy when he hasn't played 1 game in the NBA? He has dominated the big man area in college and in high school. Sure he has the mindset more of a 3 because he wants to shoot the ball instead of back guys down. But so does Dirk, Sheed, and Harrington. All 3 of which just happen to be very good players and VERY tough matchups.

And BTW, when Tyrus measured in during the predraft workouts his year, he measured under 6'9" in shoes and 217 pounds.
    Last edited by KaptnKirk12; 06-20-2008 at 07:24 PM.

I usually hit open layups

Good points. I think Beasley CAN play the PF in the NBA, but not every night. Can you imagine him playing KG against Boston in a 7 game series in the playoffs??? Spot duty at PF, yes....weeks at a time...I don't think so. He CAN do it..but I think he would be far more effective at SF. At PF..he has to guard Duncan, Bosh, KG, Stat, Gasol and Sheed, to name a few. Those guys are all 6'11" and up. About Tyrus Thomas...he and Beasley measured the same height with shoes. The difference is Thomas has a longer reach, wingspan and has incredible hops to make up for lack of height. Thomas measured almost 5 inches more in vertical jump than Beasley. That's a huge difference! Give me 5 more inches and I could probably do a 360!! LOL Beasley is bigger and stronger which kind of evens it out. Thomas and Beasley are totally different players. Keep in mind....Beasley killed in college because there aren't many GREAT bigs in college, plus he's talented hahah! I think he will be great in the NBA...an all-star even, but not as a PF. He's almost like a combo F. Who knows...maybe he'll grow, like Tyrus and Deng have.

Learning to shoot layups $un$4L!FE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KaptnKirk12

It is true that he dominated at the 4 spot in college but this is the NBA.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
    I'm getting tired of people calling Beasley a PF... are you kidding me? do you honestly think Beasley could defend guys like Boozer, Brand etc... those are true PFs... he is 6'7-6'8 220 pounds... a true PF weights 240.... he is a smaller version of Lebron... do people call Lebron a PF?? his size and game is very similar to Tracy Mcgrady but Beasley is actually shorter! no doubt he is a stud, but he will be a stud at SF... bottom line
    Charles Barkley was not even 6'6, granted he did have the weight, but not the height if you are going by technical standards to call a player a certain position.

If that is the case, Magic should never have played PG, I mean he WAS 6'9, lol.

Dennis Rodman played PF and was nowhere near 240, and he was one of the best rebounder /defenders of all time.

Larry Bird was not a gifted athlete , but he used his brain to be one of the best defenders and rebounders in the game at one time.

Derrick Rose is reportedly 6'5, if you guys draft him, I mean... 6'5 guys are supposedly to play SG right?

Beasley will be a Power Forward in this league one day, with a step out game. NOt a small forward with a post game. Have you ever seen him play? Of course he will not be great at guarding the bigger PF's at this time, but he will be a rookie, he will get stronger as time goes on... he will DEVELOP.

Quote Originally Posted by vmdv12
    Good points. I think Beasley CAN play the PF in the NBA, but not every night. Can you imagine him playing KG against Boston in a 7 game series in the playoffs??? Spot duty at PF, yes....weeks at a time...I don't think so. He CAN do it..but I think he would be far more effective at SF. At PF..he has to guard Duncan, Bosh, KG, Stat, Gasol and Sheed, to name a few. Those guys are all 6'11" and up. About Tyrus Thomas...he and Beasley measured the same height with shoes. The difference is Thomas has a longer reach, wingspan and has incredible hops to make up for lack of height. Thomas measured almost 5 inches more in vertical jump than Beasley. That's a huge difference! Give me 5 more inches and I could probably do a 360!! LOL Beasley is bigger and stronger which kind of evens it out. Thomas and Beasley are totally different players. Keep in mind....Beasley killed in college because there aren't many GREAT bigs in college, plus he's talented hahah! I think he will be great in the NBA...an all-star even, but not as a PF. He's almost like a combo F. Who knows...maybe he'll grow, like Tyrus and Deng have.
    Beasley would be able to guard a guy like Sheed and Harrington since they have similar styles. A guy like Duncan would kill him, but who can guard Duncan? KG would probably work him over and so would Amare. But I think he could keep up with Gasoft and Bosh. Not to mention those same guys would have to guard Beasley...which won't be an easy task...even in his first year.

...and Beasley regardless of verticle...can dunk...effortlessly.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og2FHoXPF8E&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcdKs...eature=related
    ^He has hit that off the glass between the legs a bunch of times.

Quote Originally Posted by $un$4L!FE
    It is true that he dominated at the 4 spot in college but this is the NBA.
    Good thing he has played an NBA game. All we have to base off of what he did in college. And he has one of the best college seasons ever.

As soon as he is drafted, the first time he gets listed on his new team's roster, he will be listed at SF, and that will be his position.

I'm not gonna argue this anymore, everybody wait and see, and then realize, he's not gonna be playing PF much at all, and probably only when his team is playing a small lineup or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dengness9
    As soon as he is drafted, the first time he gets listed on his new team's roster, he will be listed at SF, and that will be his position.

I'm not gonna argue this anymore, everybody wait and see, and then realize, he's not gonna be playing PF much at all, and probably only when his team is playing a small lineup or whatever.
    yep... couldn't agree more, Dengness