Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency

I usually hit open layups

Default Re: Free Agency

I'm surprised by Ivey's move, but happy. It frees up a roster spot and gives the Sixers added flexibility. He's a dime a dozen player and we can get a comparable if not better player in free agency.

As for Sessions, the problem with him is that he is a terrible fit with our current line-up. The kid can't shoot. He has absolutely no 3 point shot - none. He struggles shooting from deep and he's not a very good defensive player either. For the amount of years and money it would take, we'd probably be better off giving Andre Miller a 3 year deal rather than signing Sessions to a 5 year deal. Miller is the better player right now.

If the future of the team is Iguodala at SG and Young at SF, with Brand as our centerpiece PF, we need a PG who can shoot the rock, can run the pick and roll, and can help space the floor by at least being able to knock down some wide open 3's - Sessions can't do any of those things.

He's a nice young player to be sure, but given the choice, if we're going to go after a PG who is a restricted free agent, I'd rather go after Raymond Felton, who in my opinion is a better player right now, although still not a great fit, or Watson from Golden State, who at least offensively would fit in nice with the current team.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by SixersFan76
    It's actually not as crazy as it sounds for two reasons. A - Brown is crazy, so while he hates a guy he has, several years later he seems to have a lobotomy and convinces himself that the guy he wanted to trade was actually everything he's ever hoped for in a player; and B - Bobcats were so desperate to add a true center to their roster in order to enable Okafor to play the 4 that they traded for a limited stiff like Diop in spite of the fact that he had a 5 year contract.

That being said, without a third team, Bobcats just don't have the players or contracts that would make trading Dalembert enticing to us in any way. We certainly don't want to be saddled with the 4 years left on Diop's contract and with Smith coming back and after adding Kapono, we have no need for Radmanovic. It makes little sense to add Mohammed, who has 2 years left on his deal and can't play and another stiff or aging player with an even longer contract.
    It would be pure entertainment, I'd love it for the simple fact of getting rid of Sam and then I would have to watch more Bobcats games just to watch LB lean back in his chair rubbing his eyes and screaming at Sam as he comes to the sideline. First time Sam blows him off in that Sam way, the over/under on Sam's minutes the rest of the season has to start off at 10.

Over under on how many games it would take for Larry to demand Bobcats trade Dalembert? I'd say 12.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/59866/20090617/has_detroit_given_gordon_an_$11m_promise/

Definitely think that Rip could be on his way out. Joe really wanted to blow that team up.

Just curious about who would want to take on that contract of a player in his 30's for 4 more years in this economic climate. He's a good player, so you can't just give him away for nothing. At the same time, you won't get value for him because of the length of his deal.

Don't know, interesting that Dumars extended him at the start of the season. I think he thought the Iverson trade would light the spark back up in those guys that they had seemed to lose. It obviously didn't and might have just pushed Joe over the edge to get rid of all but Prince.

It is a tough trade because I think Rip is overrated. He's one-dimensional scorer who fit well into the system that the Pistons ran during that run. I don't know how effective he can be outside of that. He can't beat anyone off the dribble, his range doesn't really extend beyond 18-20 feet, and you have to get him open. He's adequate defender, but nothing special. Doesn't rebound or pass the ball well, either.

I'd say Joe might look to just get expiring deals to free up more money.

Can't 100% vouch for the accuracy of this info but here are some interesting numbers.

Teams under the salary cap - 6

Atlanta - $10.5 million under the cap, but need to re-sign Marvin Williams, Bibby, Pachulia and Murray (at least in theory). They also have a hold on Josh Childress, money they can free up by renouncing his rights and making him an unrestricted free agent. Rumors suggest they are shopping Josh Smith.

Detroit - they are nearly $18 million under the cap and there are rumors that they might be willing to trade away their first round pick (15) for a future pick/s in order to free up another $2 million or so under the cap.

Memphis - they have the most money to spend, nearly $20 million - and ability to renounce the rights to Hakim Warrick, making him an unrestricted free agent, but freeing up the hold and having a few extra million under the cap. They are also rumored to be shopping the second pick overall.

Minnesota - they have nearly $8 million under the cap that they can play with.

Oklahoma City - $16 million under the cap.

Toronto - they have nearly $8 million under the cap and can free up another two by renouncing the rights to Joey Graham. They are supposedly interested in re-signing Shawn Marion, who will cost at least the full MLE.

Teams that can spend the full MLE now without incurring the luxury tax - 5

Philly is one, but that might change if we re-sign Andre Miller.

Chicago - forget about it they re-sign Ben Gordon.

New Jersey - in theory, they could use it, in practice, they are trying to cut payroll, are trying to sell the team, and want to free up as much cap space as possible for free agent class of 2010.

Portland - that could change if they re-sign Channing Frye to a contract paying him above $3 million a year. They have a deep pocket owner who would pay for the right player no matter what.

Sacramento - it's a rebuilding team, so not sure if they would have any interest in adding long term salary until they know where they stand a little better.

The Jazz could in theory be at the cap or a bit under it if Boozer opts out and they renounce the rights to Millsap. They also want to keep Okur. They also could keep everyone and spend the MLE and pay the luxury tax, but it's not very likely.

Several teams would use the MLE even if it meant paying the luxury tax, presuming it's the right player. That would include Boston, Cleveland, Lakers and Orlando. The Magic also have to re-sign Turkogulu and might want to think about keeping Gortat. These teams are contenders, so one would think that if the right guy came along, they would spend the dough.

Dallas might be willing to pay the luxury tax and use the full MLE just because Cuban is the owner.

They are also rumored to be shopping the second pick overall.
    I wonder what Memphis wants in return. Hmmmm

With that franchise, I bet they still don't know. Seems like Rubio has little desire to play there and he doesn't seem like an ideal fit with Mayo and Gay, two guys who like the ball in their hands a lot. He didn't even want to go work out there. Thabeet got hurt when it was time to work out there. Plus, if they only view him as a shot blocker and rebounder, not sure it's worth spending the second overall pick on him unless they think he would be great at both. Harden seems a little redundant with Mayo and Gay. They do have a lot of cap space. At the end, if they think Rubio is the second best player, they all but have to take him, even if he stays in Europe this season. They do need an athletic shot blocking center who can rebound and a low post scoring PF. PG is another area where they could probably take a guy if they think Conley isn't going to be great and someone else is.

Couple more days. Free agency starts the following week. Hurry up!

Quote Originally Posted by SixersFan76
    With that franchise, I bet they still don't know. Seems like Rubio has little desire to play there and he doesn't seem like an ideal fit with Mayo and Gay, two guys who like the ball in their hands a lot. He didn't even want to go work out there. Thabeet got hurt when it was time to work out there. Plus, if they only view him as a shot blocker and rebounder, not sure it's worth spending the second overall pick on him unless they think he would be great at both. Harden seems a little redundant with Mayo and Gay. They do have a lot of cap space. At the end, if they think Rubio is the second best player, they all but have to take him, even if he stays in Europe this season. They do need an athletic shot blocking center who can rebound and a low post scoring PF. PG is another area where they could probably take a guy if they think Conley isn't going to be great and someone else is.
    I agree i dont know what Memphis is thinking...one second i think of ways they could easily add/improve thier team given cap space, #2 pick. But i suddenly think of them moving Gasol to get rid of his contract. As i read reports ownership really didnt want to "spend" much money. If thats true then what are they attempting to do? Field a roster of young, promising players until its time to trade them for more young promising players? Like the Oakland A's.

David Lee is a free agent. Granted i dont think he is anywhere near as good as his stats were he is still solid, young and fits the makeup of that team. I havent heard any interest from Memphis. Not that I searched deeply but eh.

They could land Boozer or maybe even try to blow Utah out of the water with a huge offer for Millsap, but I don't know what that team's goal is. Do they want to move? Does the owner want to sell? I'm not sure what their long term plan is.

Marc Gasol could very well take the road Navarro took - decide it's not worth ruining your career by playing for a terrible NBA team and sign a huge contract with a contending team in Europe and be done with it.

Gay will be a restricted free agent after this season and if a lot of the guys who are expected to be free agents next season stay with their current teams, he might get a max offer from someone who struck out on the LeBron's of the world.

It's not clear if they love Conley at the point long term, although they took the kid 3rd and finally turned over the reigns to him by the second half of the season.

I find it puzzling that they keep bringing in Harden - do they think they could with with Mayo at the point, Harden at the 2 and Gay at the 3? They better get a stud defensive C and PF who block shots and rebound and can score in the post a bit. Than again, he seems to be the only guy projected in the top 5 who is willing to even work out for these guys.

Considering that both Bowens and Oberto only have partially guaranteed contracts and are almost certain to be bought out before contracts become fully guaranteed (I believe they only have to eat about $3 million) and considering they can buy out Thomas as well, the Bucks just saved $25 million over two years. Expect them to put up a fight to keep either Villanueva or Sessions, and possibly both.

Hopefully they feel those two are WORTH what they will end up spending. Last they need is to give out fat contracts and after year 2 look to find someone else to eat the rest of the deal and start over.

Sessions is worth keeping but they'd be smart to let Villanueva walk unless they can get him for a good deal, though I think they'll overpay for him.