Default How many of you guys have tried pomelo

It's a very popular fruit in Asia, but I can only find it at Asian markets here in the states. The fruit flesh can be yellow or red and resembles a grapefruit, but doesn't really taste like it,

Personally it's one of my favorite things to eat.

Default Re: How many of you guys have tried pomelo

I worked in a produce department in the Pacific Northwest for about 5 years. We carried it about half the year. I think right now would be a good time to check, because this is when they get in their new crop citrus from American farms.

Honestly though, I have never tried it. It was always ridiculous when I would stack them, because they are HUGE but they weigh almost nothing. It's like 80% skin on those things.

Also, we spelled it "pummelo."

This guy has some pretty cool videos about tropical fruit and insects, and he did one about pomelos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_6fGSgPGJ4

Just ate one earlier this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    Just ate one earlier this morning.
    yellow or red on the inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Beadles
    yellow or red on the inside?
    Red. It tasted sour. But it really wasn't red, it was more violet inside.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

it's awesome, it's like grapefruit thats not bitter. i've only ever had red. i like to eat it after a heavy meal

as far as Asian fruits are concerned, nothing beats Philippine Mangoes. but Pomelos are fine. there are better fruits IMO. Avocados, Sapodilla (we call it chico), cantaloupe (sweet melons), Jackfruit, and Durian.

High School Varsity 6th Man

They are da god fruits. Only tried the 'clear' ones (they're not yellow). Soooo yummy, not too sweet or bitter, juicy, perfect fruit consistency and quite large. 80 % skin is an exaggeration. Don't peel it like the guy in the video. That's its one con, though, peeling is a whole lot of effort. You have to peel each individual 'boat.' It's quite easy -- not what you would imagine if you picture doing this with more common citrus fruits; the skin is easily peeled from each boat -- but as you can imagine time consuming. Dat pure fruit flesh. Mom used to buy (and peel) many a times during childhood.

It stands out as one of the greatest fruit I've had. I've been to Asia. Many of the exotic fruits are way too sweet. This is the perfect combo of fruit consistency, taste, juiciness.

Masterpiece, 9/10.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    as far as Asian fruits are concerned, nothing beats Philippine Mangoes. but Pomelos are fine. there are better fruits IMO. Avocados, Sapodilla (we call it chico), cantaloupe (sweet melons), Jackfruit, and Durian.
    This guy is obviously Philippino and is displaying major fruit bias (no offense). If you want your fruit to taste like candy and give you diabetes, then those fruits are good. If you want your fruits to be refreshing as f*ck and not rot your teeth, go with pomelo and peel them like I said.