Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: First two weeks of 2011-12 NBA regular season OFFICIALLY CANCELED

Quote Originally Posted by Applause
    :applaus...

back to the topic
    A lot of good games in the 1st week.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Stern: I'm sorry to report ... that the first 2 wks of the season have been cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by ukfan22
    someone convince me this isn't all on the players
    its always both parties faults when negotiations fail unless one side is just being absurd. i don't think that is the case here.

from what i've heard though...it does seem like the players are operating more out of an ego sense than a sound business sense. i really need to see the details though....because i don't see how losing 160 million in salary right off the bat for the players with 2 weeks now gone helps them at all.

espn reported today that the two sides were 800 million apart over a 6 year period. well, the players just cost themselves 160 million by not taking the deal...and they probably cost themselves the ability to get something else they wanted by making the BRI agreement contingent on something else.

so again, i don't see much of the business sense of it. and my initial thought is that the owners are actually telling the truth about the dollars if they are so easily willing to cancel two weeks of the season. and why wouldn't they? it strengthens their position and they don't have to pay out player salary or operating expenses. so i understand their position.

i'm just still a little confused on the players position in terms of what business sense it makes.

Banned

Looks like a NHL will get a lot of new fans from these greedy athletes and owners. I feel like a lot of blame actually belongs to the Commissioner David Stern.

NBA rookie of the year

It's apparent that the NBA reps still want a hard cap implemented. If that's the case, there will not be a season as the Union will never agree to a hard cap.

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaPerceive
    Looks like a NHL will get a lot of new fans from these greedy athletes and owners. I feel like a lot of blame actually belongs to the Commissioner David Stern.
    Already got a new one from me. Started during last year's playoffs. Hard to be on the NBA players side when so many of them just care about the money and show no heart what so ever on the court. I understand it completely just as a fan of the game it's hard to back. Owners are at fault too obviously.

I don't expect a season at all. Think we'll lose the entire year. Witch is laughable considering the position the NBA was in.

Very good NBA starter

From what I've gathered, it seems like NBA wants to move toward an NFL like contract where if a player is unproductive,you can cut your losses paying him whatever remaining 30-60 millions left on his contract.

History of the NBA has always been extremely guaranteed....This completely changes NBA and the players are fighting to avoid that hard cap. People bring up Gilbert Arenas, Allan Houston,Grant Hill but these guys dont represent the whole league.

The Union consists of veterans liek Fisher who are set for life financially, and Wade,Melo,Bron,PP,Ray Allen who are set 5 times for life...If the union and players are them....they have said publically they are willing to sacrifice a season and I believe them.

A lot of the younger or less talented players have been going back to finish their senior year in college, and making "bill" money doing showcases..

Does anyone secretly want the entire season to be canceled just to ruin the NBA for good?

I mean.....DARN IT, the NBA is canceling games......whatever shall we do?........

Banned

What, you all thought this will be like the NFL "lockout" and over in a month?

Collectively, with no season, does the owner not lose anything? Since they were operating at a loss before anyway. So surely they can hold out for as long as it takes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave3
    I hope there's as much boycotting of the NBA as possible over the next few years. Show them that the fans won't just come crawling back when they pull this crap.
    I'm inclined to agree.

Come on guys, admit it. Watching the NBA go down in flames is at least mildly entertaining.

Local High School Star

2 lockouts in twelve years... i mean i dont even...

how do you throw away a product that was at its peak after this past season? ugh..

3-time NBA All-Star

I want a hardcap so cp3 wont join us.

This couldn't be worse timing for Kobe or the Heatles if the whole season goes array.

Good High School Starter

Default Re: Stern: I'm sorry to report ... that the first 2 wks of the season have been cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
    I mean, I can't really be too shocked. It's just disappointing to actually see it in black and white.
    THIS