Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    National High School Star

Default If Shaq seriously practiced boxing for 1 year....

could he win the heavyweight title? I see that Hershel Walker did just fine in his MMA fights at age 48.

Shaq's reach and power (presumably) would be too much for any heavyweight. Thought he doesn't seem to have a natural ability to throw a very technically good punch.

Default Re: If Shaq seriously practiced boxing for 1 year....

hell no
    he wouldn't have a chance against, say, Wladimir Klitschko, a guy who was boxing all his life.

he would need more time to even get in shape to be able to survive a 12 round match

the skills he'll never have

what do you mean by Walker did just fine? Did he get a title or did he beat up some cab driver?

Combat sports are not like other sports. Some people just don't like to be hit. Or as Mike Tyson so eloquently put it, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth".

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    could he win the heavyweight title?

no

Hershel Walker is one of the greatest athlete ever, Shaq would be gas out in the first round.

not this thread again...

could he win the heavyweight title? I see that Hershel Walker did just fine in his MMA fights at age 48.

Shaq's reach and power (presumably) would be too much for any heavyweight. Thought he doesn't seem to have a natural ability to throw a very technically good punch.
    There's a lot of uncertainties that cannot be answered.

Shaq has the body, but boxing's so much more than that.

The best we can say is he could but it's very unlikely.

Earned not given

Well we know Shaq's footwork would be good.

He has the reach and if he worked out enough, I'm pretty sure he'd have some pretty good power in his punch.

I think as long as he got his conditioning down (which isn't impossible) he could have a fighting chance. A lot of bigger boxers use their weight to wear the other boxer down. How many boxers are going to be able to withstand Shaq's enormous ass (no homo)? Dude is going to be throwing punches down at his enemies, which I think gives him an advantage with angles. It would be interesting to see, no doubt.

Nikolai Valuez is about 7'0, 310 with a shorter reach and significantly less athleticism.

He has gone 50-2 in his career. Flat out, his size, not his skill makes him unstoppable to a large degree of fighters.

We all know Shaq wouldn't be the best, but he could definitely take on a lot of fighters purely because of his size.

Also, Shaq could very easily get into boxing shape in 12 months. That's a lot of time for anyone, let alone a former pro athlete. It would all come down to his motivation and training intensity imo.

There are some unpredictable, like chin strength, ability to sense movement, etc...but based off his inherent natural athleticism I think it'd be fair to say that he is naturally much more blessed than a Valuev in that regard as well.

For a man his size, it is not as much about boxing skill as it is about being able to get an opponent cornered and just throwing a flurry. His shots would be coming from further away, with more power, and right at head level. His opponent would have a hell of a time trying to get away from those flurries, unskilled as they may be.

Banned

Shaq couldn't beat guys literally half his size in DLH or Mosley. Any average HW would toy with him, especially now in his advanced age where he struggles to even walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG4jg14nUK8

I take back everything I said. Shaq would obliterate the heavyweight division if he was under 33 still and had 12 months to train. Even a fat Shaq was basically going toe to toe with Dela Hoya for 2 rounds. Without headgear on Dela Hoya would of got leveled if Shaq actually tried to hurt him and had a bit of training.

Banned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG4jg14nUK8

I take back everything I said. Shaq would obliterate the heavyweight division if he was under 33 still and had 12 months to train. Even a fat Shaq was basically going toe to toe with Dela Hoya for 2 rounds. Without headgear on Dela Hoya would of got leveled if Shaq actually tried to hurt him and had a bit of training.

He did get a 'bit of training' from HOF coach Freddie Roach and lost to a retired, out of shape DLH. Shaq was still an active basketball player then too. He's in far worse shape today than he was in 2009 when he couldn't beat a former pro boxer who he had a foot and 200 lbs on.

But I'm sure he would give Deontay Wilder or Vlad Klitschko a run for their belts

Great college starter ThePhantomCreep's Avatar

Nikolai Valuez is about 7'0, 310 with a shorter reach and significantly less athleticism.

He has gone 50-2 in his career. Flat out, his size, not his skill makes him unstoppable to a large degree of fighters.

We all know Shaq wouldn't be the best, but he could definitely take on a lot of fighters purely because of his size.

Also, Shaq could very easily get into boxing shape in 12 months. That's a lot of time for anyone, let alone a former pro athlete. It would all come down to his motivation and training intensity imo.

There are some unpredictable, like chin strength, ability to sense movement, etc...but based off his inherent natural athleticism I think it'd be fair to say that he is naturally much more blessed than a Valuev in that regard as well.

For a man his size, it is not as much about boxing skill as it is about being able to get an opponent cornered and just throwing a flurry. His shots would be coming from further away, with more power, and right at head level. His opponent would have a hell of a time trying to get away from those flurries, unskilled as they may be.
    Maybe so, but Valuev's boxing skills are still miles above where Shaq's would be w/ 12 months training.

Seth Mitchell would give this dude work.

It's hard for an old man to learn a skill that usually requires training from a very young age. Shaq would win some fights but won't be a title contender, even with a year of serious training.