Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

So is this game worth buying guys? I'm thinking of getting it later this week, i played wow for afew years (not ultra hardcore) but got bored and i've always played the KOTOR and jedi knight games when they all came out.

Local High School Star intrinsic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    So is this game worth buying guys? I'm thinking of getting it later this week, i played wow for afew years (not ultra hardcore) but got bored and i've always played the KOTOR and jedi knight games when they all came out.
    If you like KOTOR, and you don't mind the subscription fee, I would highly recommend the game. Some people don't like paying to play a game once they've already bought it. There's a ton of content for the single player.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsic
    If you like KOTOR, and you don't mind the subscription fee, I would highly recommend the game. Some people don't like paying to play a game once they've already bought it. There's a ton of content for the single player.
    I don't mind paying subs. I've been through afew mmos with subs before. Vanguard was imo the best mmo until you hit around lvl 14 then there was no content and what content existed was bugged.
    Hows the end game in TOR is it really easy to get everything like in wow these days or is it actually semi challenging? I hate in wow now how everybody looks the same and has access to the same gear through simple means.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    I don't mind paying subs. I've been through afew mmos with subs before. Vanguard was imo the best mmo until you hit around lvl 14 then there was no content and what content existed was bugged.
    Hows the end game in TOR is it really easy to get everything like in wow these days or is it actually semi challenging? I hate in wow now how everybody looks the same and has access to the same gear through simple means.
    Raiding isn't my thing. I'll let Deuce, bdreason, or someone else answer that one.
    Max level pvp is pretty slow since they split 50's into their own bracket. It's going to be pretty discouraging when you make it there. Expertise gear makes a HUGE difference (this is why 50's were moved to their own bracket). PvP at max level is a long grind for gear. Skill won't make up the difference there. I still have fun with it, but there are plenty of people who were salty once it was patched. The queues at 50 grew longer, and they had to play against more people in champion's gear.
    I went into the game figuring it would be WoW with light sabres. Almost a month and a half later, I'm still logging 8 or more hours a week and still enjoying it.

Raiding is pretty easy. eight man normal modes can be pugged as long as half the group isn't incompetent. Hard modes aren't that much more difficult with a little gear and common sense. Compared to vanilla WoW (40 man Molten Core) or Age of Conan (T3 and T4) the high end content is fairly easy.

PvP is also very busy even after the bracket split on my server. I don't have to wait more than a few minutes for a match and based on my guild list showing where people are; there's usually 5-6 concurrent matches of lvl 50 going on and similar for sub 50 on Canderous Ordo. It's a pretty short grind for the first level of gear, but it will be long, as with every other mmo, for high end (Battlemaster) gear.

The good thing is that PvE gear is plenty fine in most cases. I dominate lots of matches in full PvE gear.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces

PvP is also very busy even after the bracket split on my server. I don't have to wait more than a few minutes for a match and based on my guild list showing where people are; there's usually 5-6 concurrent matches of lvl 50 going on and similar for sub 50 on Canderous Ordo. It's a pretty short grind for the first level of gear, but it will be long, as with every other mmo, for high end (Battlemaster) gear.

The good thing is that PvE gear is plenty fine in most cases. I dominate lots of matches in full PvE gear.
    On both servers I play (Nadd's Sarcophagus and I forget the other atm.) there are never more than 2 warzones going on simultaneously. This is true even during peak hours 6pm-midnight. Server pop floats between standard and high in the evenings. If I didn't have so much time invested, I would start over somewhere else.

Didn't know that about PVE gear since I don't have access to it.

I'm on Canderous Ordo. If I check my guild member window when I get on after work ~7pm EST I will see location for multiple guildies like Voidstar (3), The Pit (2), and The Civil War (2) indicating that there are at least 7 concurrent PvP matches running. Last night we ran a pre-made for until 1am without waiting more than a few minutes in-between.

And you should be able to pug out easy mode operations and hard mode flashpoints with pretty good success to get some quick PvE gear.

You can always transfer to my server and I'll invite you to my guild. We run everything except nightmare raids at the moment, but I'm sure that will change.

Banned

Finally got this last night. I've only had time to play afew hours but it's real good so far. The quests are actually worth listening to. I'm a bounty hunter on the mind trick server atm, any tips on things I should be doing?

Decent college freshman

I think I'm getting this game as well. will be my first MMO ever, I liked KOTOR too much to pass this up I think

The game is struggling right now, but that was to be expected as a young MMO. Server mergers and players returning from Diablo will help, but it's going to take a little patience to stick with this game as it matures into what it should have been. I've had a lot of fun with it. The Imperial Agent was my favorite class story. IMO, it was so well done, it could have been a standalone single player game.

I'm sticking with it, continuing my sub. I've liked what content Bioware has given me so far.

Edit: server transfers opened today. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=477706

June 12th, 2012

Origin Server --> Destination Server

Keller's Void --> Jedi Covenant
    Hedarr Soongh --> The Fatman
    Soresu --> The Harbinger
    Rakata Mind Prison --> The Bastion
    Stereb Cities --> The Jedi Tower
    Eye of Ashlanae --> The Red Eclipse
    Phateem Halls of Knowledge --> Mantle of the Force
    The Restoration Zone --> Jar’Kai Sword
    The Shadow Runner --> Tomb of Freedon Nadd
    Mecrosa Order --> Darth Nihilus

Origin Server --> Destination Server

NA Server
    The Courageous --> Canderous Ordo
    Kath Hound --> The Ebon Hawk
    Ven Zallow --> Jung Ma
    Fa'athra --> Drooga's Pleasure Barge
    Lord Ieldis --> Begeren Colony

European Server (German)
    Zayne Carrick --> Vanjervalis Chain

European Server (English)
    Shaltin Tunnels --> The Progenitor

European Server (French)
    Kessel Run --> Battle Meditation
    Last edited by intrinsic; 06-12-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Depending on your server it could have been a bummer the past month. Luckily are guild was transferred to a high pop server pre-launch (Canderous Ordo) and we're still going strong since launch. Pops nearly doubled last night after the transfers.

Finally getting into some of the end game stuff. Lost Island was fun. It's challenging, and the droid boss is almost a cheesy diffculty curve since my latency spikes 200ms and higher during peak. It can be the difference between incinerate wiping the group and interrupting on cast. Whenever BW decides to open transfers without a restrictive destination, I'll probably take my Vanguard to a West Coast server.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Glad nobobdy bought it off me. Got computer that can run it on high now. Is this game worth playing? Any improvements so far? I tried for a day but when I got to big cities it was unplayable.

Lost Island and Kaon Under Siege are a lot of fun, but you need a good group.