Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Lasik Eye Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    Could you detail how it went from (basically) $500 dollars per eye (so a total of $1000) to $3000? How were they going to charge you an extra $2000?
    Well I have a slight astigmatism that apparently bumps up the price. There was also some new technology (I think the one Andrei89 mentioned) that costs a bit more. There were some other things but I can't remember. That $490/eye is just to get you in, I'm not sure anyone could get it done that cheap. Still, I'd consider doing it at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro
    Well I have a slight astigmatism that apparently bumps up the price. There was also some new technology (I think the one Andrei89 mentioned) that costs a bit more. There were some other things but I can't remember. That $490/eye is just to get you in, I'm not sure anyone could get it done that cheap. Still, I'd consider doing it at that price.
    Yes Intralase and Wavefront adds to the price

swag pimpin' in norway

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    Anybody had it done or know someone who has? How was your vision after compared to before? Would you recommend it? Was the procedure painful/uncomfortable?

Thinking about looking into this for the summer time if I'm able to afford it.
    my older brother did it he lost his vision when he was at wall mart

i want to get lasik, just hate having to use glasses, and contacts are a pain.

WE MISS U CHALMERS :( JerrySteakhouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Posterize246
    Anybody had it done or know someone who has? How was your vision after compared to before? Would you recommend it? Was the procedure painful/uncomfortable?

Thinking about looking into this for the summer time if I'm able to afford it.
    Don't know too much about it but I know some people that got it. My grandfather got it and they really ****ed it up and now his eyes are messed.

A friend of mine also got it and it was successful but they did mess up a bit and one of his eyes was completely red for a week. His vision did improve and if it ever got worse he would be able to get it done again for free. He paid $5000 for the surgery.

Best advice is really make sure you do your research and only go to trusted places.

Yeh one more annoying thing about the surgery is that you have to use 3 sets of drops 4 times a day (every 6 hours) for like 2 weeks.

It's annoying waking up at 6 am or at 12 am for that sh1t

Utryin2getthepipe? SevereUpInHere's Avatar

I assume everyone in this thread is pretty young? I was under the impression you had to wait until your prescription stops changing before you get the op done. I'm 29 and mine is still changing. Definitely want to get surgery done at some stage.

so lets hear the horror stories

Serious playground baller

A guy that I play ball with had it done. He said his eyes are 100% better now and he doesn't need glasses anymore. My eyes aren't that great any more (I see black spots) probably due to my computer so I figure I will eventually have it done. My eyes will have to get pretty bad first though because he said you are awake throughout the procedure and I am a wush when it comes to medical procedures. He said it didn't hurt though but it felt strange watching the lazer hit his eye

Learning to shoot layups Jimbozeubuen's Avatar

I had Lasik when I was 21. Paid $5K for it because I had it done by the same doctor who did Tiger Woods. It was worth every penny. The surgery only took a couple of minutes and except for dry eyes I didn't really have any side effects.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

My best friend had it maybe...2 years ago. Not sure of the cost, but I know his insurance paid the vast majority. I've known him since we were like 9 and he always had glasses, progressively thicker and thicker. Perfect vision ever since the surgery he said. It was an outpatient procedure, took a day off work, had it done in the early morning and was back at work (somewhat limited) the next day.

Good High School Starter

I hate contact lenses. I'm practically as blind as a bat. Strongly considering this and I've never heard horror stories although I don't have health insurance and would be paying out of pocket..

It's something I'd like to get done too. Tried contacts before and they suck, my eyes got too dry and I got sick of carrying and using eye drops all the time so back to specs. I've had several friends and co workers who had it done and they are all happy with the procedure.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    If they had contacts that could provide better than perfect vision, trust me I would've payed whatever money it took to get them. And I've heard the better than perfect thing a million times, most recently on the radio when they were talking about sports and cheating. They brought up Tiger and his LASIK surgery.

there isn't really a "perfect vision" , there's 20/20 which is what is considered normal vision acuity.

it is possible to see better than 20/20 - some people can see 20/15 and maybe even 20/10

my mom wanted to get me lasik when i was younger since her insurance would've covered a great deal, but i am not a candidate.

the only reason i would consider it now is because i can no longer wear soft lenses - i've worn soft lenses for 10 years and aside from the first week have been no hassle.

i've slept in them (although you're supposed to take them out when you wake up), played sports in them, went to the beach in them, etc... and they practically weren't there.

unfortunately about a year and a half ago my vision took a huge nosedive and i have to wear hard lenses.

now those are a *****.

How much does it costs in the US? It's better than wearing eye glasses or contacts. It sucks to be near sighted cause I couldn't see far objects. Lots of NBA players also had a Lasik surgery ( Wade, LeBron, and Channing Frye).

Channing Frye Lasik eye surgery video.

http://www.break.com/usercontent/200...Surgery-535527