Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Should Cavs Pick Derrick Williams over Kyrie Irving?

If Derrick Williams had to compare himself to any current NBA players, his best picks would be hybrid forwards Michael Beasley, David West and Antawn Jamison.

Will Williams play more small forward or power forward in the NBA? That's a point of contention.

"I like when people say 3-4 more than a 4-3," Williams said. "A 4-3, most people think you're 6-foot-10, 250 pounds. Being 6-8, 6-9 and 240, it gives me a real advantage, especially if I play the 3. I don't like being labeled a power forward at all."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._Small_Forward

Quote Originally Posted by 8BeastlyXOIAD
    How isn't he the best player in the class? Explain to me how.

I'd like to hear it.

Kyrie is good, but picking him over Derrick Williams will haunt the Cavs in the future. Quote me on that.
    I didn't say he was the best player in the class. You haven't made an argument as to why Derrick Williams is the best player in the class, either.

I should have stated this last night when I was going after you. I think Derrick Williams has the most potential in the this draft class. I think his ceiling is higher than any other player and his ridiculous college stats are more than enough reason to take him no lower than 2nd.

I'd have to do some digging through old threads from the college basketball board but I was even saying things like, why wouldn't you take Derrick Williams #1 overall instead Kyrie Irving? Of course at that time we had no idea who was going to have the #1 pick.

Maybe it's because I don't see Derrick Williams as an NBA SF. I think he's a combo PF/SF, meaning I think he'd be better served logging most of his minutes at PF while playing about 5-7 minutes a night at SF. I don't know if this is a good comparison but I can see Derrick Williams as an Amare Stoudemire type player. Williams is 6'8" with elite athleticism and a very reliable perimeter jump-shot. I can see Derrick Williams being a stretch/face-up PF who strings together rim-rattling dunk after rim-rattling dunk while also hurting teams with 15-18 foot jumpers, a lot like Amare. I know that's probably not the best comparison but it's who comes to mind for me.

I just like the Cavs need and could use a PG more than Williams. I do think Irving has the tools and potential to be a borderline superstar PG. I don't think he's the next Chris Paul, Deron Williams, or any other elite/superstar NBA PG. I do think he can be a future all-star with a high ceiling. He might be Chris Paul-lite. Not as good as CP3 but, like Paul, he can do everything: shoot the three, shoot the mid-range jumper, penetrate, and distribute the basketball. His 11 game college career in college, though, does worry me along with the foot injury, although I don't think the foot injury is anything to be too concerned about.
    Last edited by KG215; 05-18-2011 at 01:40 PM.

I easily go Kyrie Irving to compete with a very deep PG class/crop in the NBA. I'm not one who thinks he is the best thing coming. I dont even think he is Chris Paul 2.0. I just think he's going to be a very good PG. I dont expect him to be Mike Conley either where he is just above average. I rather a floor general than Derrick Williams.

At #4 its Enes Kanter or I'm unsure. I dont know much about the foreigners and little about Kanter. But I like the fact that Kanter isnt your typical euro big. Not sure about his health, knee history tho. And the only footage I've seen is from playing against other talented dudes his age. And I liked the fact he was a big who liked to work in the paint. Who put his back to the basket and showed some moves, footwork. ASgain I dont know about the other euros and havent seen much footage. One video I seen of Valu (whatever his name is). He looked stiff. But again I dunno.

#4 I'd be open to trade. I wouldnt rule that out. I know people like stockpiling talent to rebuild and thats not a bad thing. But you also got an option to aquire a young established talent as well. Why would another team trade such a player? To start over themselves.

Cleveland aint winning nothing over night. 2012 is a deep class. I'd even consider moving #4 for next years first rd pick even if its a protected #1.

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    I easily go Kyrie Irving to compete with a very deep PG class/crop in the NBA. I'm not one who thinks he is the best thing coming. I dont even think he is Chris Paul 2.0. I just think he's going to be a very good PG. I dont expect him to be Mike Conley either where he is just above average. I rather a floor general than Derrick Williams.

At #4 its Enes Kanter or I'm unsure. I dont know much about the foreigners and little about Kanter. But I like the fact that Kanter isnt your typical euro big. Not sure about his health, knee history tho. And the only footage I've seen is from playing against other talented dudes his age. And I liked the fact he was a big who liked to work in the paint. Who put his back to the basket and showed some moves, footwork. ASgain I dont know about the other euros and havent seen much footage. One video I seen of Valu (whatever his name is). He looked stiff. But again I dunno.

#4 I'd be open to trade. I wouldnt rule that out. I know people like stockpiling talent to rebuild and thats not a bad thing. But you also got an option to aquire a young established talent as well. Why would another team trade such a player? To start over themselves.

Cleveland aint winning nothing over night. 2012 is a deep class. I'd even consider moving #4 for next years first rd pick even if its a protected #1.
    This makes no sense. Move a top #4 pick for a pick next year that may not be in the top 8??

No.

Cavs are okay. I'm not the biggest Irving fan, but since they have the opportunity to draft who I wanted them to draft reagrdless of draft position (Val), I'm good. Irving is not a svaior but paired with a talent like Jonas, Cavs are good for the next 10 years. Cavs have to get the right big, tho. Being competitive is not enough. And this is what some Cavs fans are struggling to grasp. Winning 50 games is not what I'm aiming for. Rings are. And you do this with bigs who can flash out and contain penetration from the perimeter ala Jakim Noah.

And you're wrong about Valauniacus' mobility. Dude can absolutely move his feet. In fact, its one of his strengths.

Rest of you post is solid.

They should trade the pick to Washington for Andray Blatche and the 6th pick

not even in my dreams

I say pick Derrick Williams, have him play the three. He's the most NBA-ready out of everyone in the draft. And pick either Knight, Walker, Kanter or Burks with the fourth pick. You want people in the seats and excited? Get Williams and Walker. Team probably wouldn't be very good, but it'd be exciting to watch to say the least.

I'm personally just not sold on Iriving. Too much of a small sample and plus the foot injury bothers the hell out of me. Williams has a much larger sample and he dominated the touranament with pretty much almost 20/9 on 60% shooting.

i would pick williams with #1 cos hes all round good pretty much then one of the euro centers davis is a decent pass first pg so he would do

Quote Originally Posted by Gundress
    If you was a Cavs GM so who would you pick?

1st pick.....who

4th Pick...who?

I would pick Derrick Williams over Kyrie Irving

for 4th I would pick Jonas Valanciunas or Enes Kanter

Cavs already got Baron Davis and Ramon Sessions
    just seen i wrote pretty much the same this guy has it

I was actually thinking the same thing. We don't NEED another PG. Sessions actually did really good for us when he had the chance and i'd like to see what he can do next year with Baron's mentoring.

We need someone at the 3

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    I was actually thinking the same thing. We don't NEED another PG. Sessions actually did really good for us when he had the chance and i'd like to see what he can do next year with Baron's mentoring.

We need someone at the 3
    The more I think about it, no Williams cant play the 3 and Sessions has peaked on what he can do. Irving and Kanter. If these 2 suck there are plenty of SF in next years draft

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

If Kyrie is healthy, he should go #1.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

As long as his foot checks out, this pick is already in the bank for Irving. The real discussion for the Cavs is with their No. 4 pick. There are a lot of directions that they can go.

If the Cavs didn't have another Top 5 pick, maybe they think a little harder about who they take No. 1. But, with the No. 4 pick to go along with it, you take the consensus best player and address needs with the second pick.

It is going to be Irving and someone... The question is, who is that someone? Could the Cavs even attempt to move up to get both Irving and Williams? It isn't completely out of the realm of possibility.

Raps, Jazz, and UCONN rosonviyavong's Avatar

You can't go wrong with a point guard though. Time has told that PG's taken high in the draft usually turn out pretty good even Mike Conley started to blossom this season. Cavs most likely are goin to take Williams tho, it just makes the most sense.

I rule the local playground Svendiggity's Avatar

Derrick Williams moves like a robot when he tries to create his own shot.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rosonviyavong
    Cavs most likely are goin to take Williams tho, it just makes the most sense.
    The pick is going to be Irving. I'm not sure why this is difficult to understand.