View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
oolalaa
I eat cheese

Default Is James Worthy one of the most overrated players of all time?

Worthy is overrated. I have seen him pretty high up on some peoples SF lists. But the question is, how overrated?

He was a good/very good scorer, a fantastic athlete who was as devastating on the fast break as he was hitting mid range jumpers. But, he was an average defender, an average playmaker and an average rebounder.

Couldn't the Lakers have won 4 championships between 83' and 88' with Dominique instead of Worthy? or Alex English? Was he really better than Adrian Dantley? or Bernard King? or Kiki Vandeweghe? or even Mark Aguirre?

Worthy was a fantastic complimentary player, an unbelievable 3rd option to have and a good 2nd option. He was perfect for those mid 80s Laker teams and had some big playoff games.

But come on people. WHAT IF THE SAN DIEGO CLIPPERS HAD DRAFTED HIM?!

Edit:

Some clarification:

Most people consider Worthy to be 'greater' than (you know, higher on all time lists) other small forwards from that era such as nique, english, dantley, king etc.

Now i am asking, is that because he was the better player or because he was fortunate to land on the perfect team?

I try to judge players in a vacuum. I try to put their team accomplishments into perspective. It can be very hard sometimes

Last edited by oolalaa : 12-22-2011 at 09:05 AM.
oolalaa is offline   Reply With Quote