Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beal vs Waiters

Default Re: Beal vs Waiters

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    seriously... waiters was actually the taller college player, shot better, better defended, went to the hoop better shot threes betters.
    Beal the taller pro doe

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Beal the taller pro doe

how do you know?

didnt waiters skip the measurement?

unless he didnt grow the slightest bit sit the beginning of the college basketball season then yes, beal is taller.

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

Think you ill because you brag about Beal
    But my n*gga Swag the real, Real Deal

Swag!

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

I like Waiters better. Beal has no handle and will not get to the rack damn near ever.

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    Think you ill because you brag about Beal
    But my n*gga Swag the real, Real Deal

Swag!
    Don't do em like that J

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

I currently attend Cuse and watched every single one of his games closely (him, Fab and Rakeem Christmas as they are our best prospects) and he may have come off the bench but he was by far our best player. Unprecedented penetration ability, fairly quick defender, decent J but he can NOT fall in love with it if he wants to be great. The reason he didnt start was due to seniority and that's how coach likes to do it. Same reason Dion almost left after his freshman year. He was good enough to start but his role/age made him a 6th man.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    I currently attend Cuse and watched every single one of his games closely (him, Fab and Rakeem Christmas as they are our best prospects) and he may have come off the bench but he was by far our best player. Unprecedented penetration ability, fairly quick defender, decent J but he can NOT fall in love with it if he wants to be great. The reason he didnt start was due to seniority and that's how coach likes to do it. Same reason Dion almost left after his freshman year. He was good enough to start but his role/age made him a 6th man.
    The only thing that bothers me about the above statement is that I vividly remember underclassmen starting for him in the past, so I have to wonder if there wasn't something else with Waiters that led him to come off the bench as opposed to starting... And I'm not talking anything about his on-court talent.

Being totally forthcoming, I am a bit worried about him in the locker room and off the court. Butting heads with coaches at Syracuse isn't exactly the ideal kind of player that you want at No. 4. Literally all of my current concerns are off the court, though, because I've seen enough of him on it to warrant this pick being made.

The good news is that he will learn under the strictness of Byron Scott. That can go one of two ways... Either very good or very bad. The other good thing is the team that surrounds him. It isn't like he is going to Sacramento where there are concerns with the mental makeup of the players...

In Cleveland, he is going to be sharing the spotlight with Kyrie, Tristan, Varejao, Zeller and Gee... All extremely high character players.

Maybe being in a culture like that is exactly what Dion needs? I hope so...

Btw, Chad Ford gave us an A- for our draft. Pretty favorable analysis...

CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | GRADE: A-
    Round 1: Dion Waiters (4), Tyler Zeller (17, from Mavs)

Round 2: None

Analysis: For the second straight year, the Cavs took a player at No. 4 who was ranked in the late teens on our Big Board in May. Like Tristan Thompson last year, Waiters had a meteoric rise the last month of the season. Unlike Thompson, his rise happened without ever doing a workout or interview with the Cavs. The Suns shut down Waiters early in the draft process, but it only seemed to start a Waiters feeding frenzy for teams ahead of them.

Waiters is the most dynamic scorer in the draft -- his ability to get to the basket is truly special -- and a handful of GMs felt that after Davis, MKG and Beal, he was the guy in this draft with the most star potential. He has NBA skill and, together with Kyrie Irving, should create a dynamic backcourt in Cleveland. Some will say taking Waiters at No. 4 was a bold pick, but I think it was a smart one with both MKG and Beal off the board. People said the same thing a few years ago when the Thunder took both Russell Westbrook and James Harden higher than expected.

I'm more agnostic about the Zeller pick. He's not going to be a great NBA center, but he runs the floor well and can play right away. At No. 17, you can't really ask for more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    The only thing that bothers me about the above statement is that I vividly remember underclassmen starting for him in the past, so I have to wonder if there wasn't something else with Waiters that led him to come off the bench as opposed to starting... And I'm not talking anything about his on-court talent.

Being totally forthcoming, I am a bit worried about him in the locker room and off the court. Butting heads with coaches at Syracuse isn't exactly the ideal kind of player that you want at No. 4. Literally all of my current concerns are off the court, though, because I've seen enough of him on it to warrant this pick being made.

The good news is that he will learn under the strictness of Byron Scott. That can go one of two ways... Either very good or very bad. The other good thing is the team that surrounds him. It isn't like he is going to Sacramento where there are concerns with the mental makeup of the players...

In Cleveland, he is going to be sharing the spotlight with Kyrie, Tristan, Varejao, Zeller and Gee... All extremely high character players.

Maybe being in a culture like that is exactly what Dion needs? I hope so...

Btw, Chad Ford gave us an A- for our draft. Pretty favorable analysis...
    It wouldn't matter how good he was, Scoop was starting no matter what and Triche was a better pure shooter he just fit in a little better with the starting unit. Also, Waiters was perfectly fine this year in terms of character issues and he's well aware of his needed maturity at the next level. I wish we had more of a veteran guard to reel him in sometimes if he ever gets out of hand. But Byron Scott is a good guard's coach so we'll see. I have a good feeling about the pick.

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    It wouldn't matter how good he was, Scoop was starting no matter what and Triche was a better pure shooter he just fit in a little better with the starting unit. Also, Waiters was perfectly fine this year in terms of character issues and he's well aware of his needed maturity at the next level. I wish we had more of a veteran guard to reel him in sometimes if he ever gets out of hand. But Byron Scott is a good guard's coach so we'll see. I have a good feeling about the pick.
    Boobie Gibson has been around the block. I also expect us to pick up a couple of veteran players between now and the start of the season. The current roster is just a little too young/inexperienced. They are going to need the steady hand and guidance from respected professionals.

Anthony Parker and Antawn Jamison did a great job of that last year. I'm sure we will get some vets in here to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    seriously... waiters was actually the taller college player, shot better, better defended, went to the hoop better shot threes betters.
    You didnt see either player in college. Why are you typing like you did? Did you know what Beal did the last 12gms of his college career? Go check those stats. How many lottery picks have there been where the player came off the bench? Marvin Williams comes to mind.

Note, I'm not here to say Beal > Waiters. I like the Waiters pick, but why am I reading your posts like you think you have a clue. All this he was better this, that and the third. And the fact of the matter is you didnt see either play much in college last season. You need to slow down. I know you're a Cavs fan but dont go around being a fake fanboy of a player.

Other Cavs fans like Meticode, chips, RBA speak arent doing that. Take notes.

GOBB might not be saying Beal > Waiters, but I am.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

In no way shape or form was Waiters ever a better shooter than Beal. Beal however can only get into the paint utilizing a pump. Once people figure that out he'll be slightly easier to defend. I hope Dion does everything in his power to try to work with Wade in the off season somehow. Perfect player to model after minus the B-atch attitude but Waiters is a real tough guy so he won't be a punk like wade in terms of flopping (hopefully)

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco

What exactly are you basing it on? I just don't see how you can make the argument that Beal is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco

I liked Beal a lot. The one thing that worries me most about Waiters is a non-issue with Beal... Character/Attitude issues.

Don't get me wrong... Waiters may get here and be an exemplary citizen and teammate. I don't want anyone to think I'm casting stones at the guy for no reason.

But, he did have run-ins with the coaching staff during his freshman year. The poster above (KyrieTheFuture) seems to know more about his situation at Syracuse and doesn't seem too concerned with any off court issues with Waiters, so maybe I shouldn't either.

But still, Beal gave maybe the best, most genuine, intelligent radio interview I have ever heard from an athlete that young a few weeks ago on Cleveland sports radio.

As for their games, I think there is much less of a gap if there is any gap at all. Beal has an unquestionably better jumpshot (regardless of what the statistics say) and Waiters is unquestionably the better slasher.

Waiters has an adequate jumper that looks like it has the potential to get better and Beal is an adequate slasher.

Defensively, I think both guys have the potential of being disruptive with their nice respective wingspans and quick feet.

Beal is a tenacious rebounder. Clearly ahead of Waiters in this area from what I've seen.

So, right now, I would give the edge to Beal as a prospect and he is the guy (along with MKG) that I was hoping for coming into the draft. However, I don't think the gap is huge and I also believe that, if Waiters improves as a jumpshooter, he may have a higher ceiling than Beal... Because his first step is explosive and I'm not sure if that is something you can teach.

We'll see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    I liked Beal a lot..... and Beal is an adequate slasher.
    There is nothing adequate about Beal as a slasher. He will struggle to beat NBA defender's off the bounce with any regularity; what's worse is Beal has no in-between game.

Like any young player there is room for development but Beal is the wrong player going to the wrong situation (the Wizards).