Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: Describe Your Go To Move

Two moves that I always use:

1. Grant Hill style crossover through the legs to the right, bit of hesitation then go....I use to beat defenders all the time when i was younger, inc uni level players, ballers from USA...now only works about 50%. The show and go.

2. Jab step to the right, and drive left. Simple but effective. If started on the left wing, then finish with right hand, if started on the right wing, finish with left hand. The knife through butter.

And finally my secret move that I virtually never use, even though it's a really good move...I've only ever used it like three times...always forget to use it...

I copied it off Cat Mobley, which is basically a combo of my two moves...

Jab hard to the right, then go left but only take one dribble, then back through the right leg and explode right....The move thats never used......
    Last edited by stevieming; 06-18-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

I like to play down-low, and have a nice hook. And a plethra of low-post moves. But I'm only 6' 0" so I'm usually starting at the perimiter and looking to drive, when this happens I have a simple ass move that works nearly every time.

I catch the ball and face up my defender. Then I jab with my right foot to the right, and just pivot to get him thinking. Then I feignt right with another jab, and cross over to my left. Simple as that, they bite a lot, and when they get wiser you can just go right instead of fake it.

But for the most part I just put my head down and get to the bucket. I'm never the quickest one out there, I'm basically a 6' PF, but I am stronger than most everyone I play with in terms of basketball strength, and I'll just muscle my way to hole.

Decent playground baller

In-out crossover. I prefer doing it right to left but I am comfortable going left to right.

I don't exceptional handles, so i tend to simpler things and they still work quite well.

~ If i am in triple threat position, i start pivoting and take a couple of jab steps, and if they bite then i just take the shot, if not dribble hard and just go. If it is a fast/strong defender, then cross it to the other side and then cross it back and just keep going.
    I call this: Nothing new.

I usually hit open layups Big Money Mike's Avatar

1. Catch the ball. You are now in triple threat position.

2. Jab step with your right foot.

3. Jab step again with your right foot.

4. Two more quick jab steps with your right foot.

5. The defender is now impatient, bored, and confused.

6. One more jab step.

7. Drain the J in his face

National High School Star ILballa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Money Mike
    1. Catch the ball. You are now in triple threat position.

2. Jab step with your right foot.

3. Jab step again with your right foot.

4. Two more quick jab steps with your right foot.

5. The defender is now impatient, bored, and confused.

6. One more jab step.

7. Drain the J in his face
    I like it. Simple and effective.

Back when I played in competitive leagues and for my school's team I played the power forward position. I did not do much ball handling, but I can remember a few times when I got stuck on the perimeter and the set play had broken down. So I just put the ball on the floor and drove like mad to the rim. I can recall a scenario happening like this only a few times, but I also can remember actually scoring and/or getting to the foul line off my frantic drives. My main method of scoring was through offensive rebounds. Every once in a while I would post up and a guard would throw me the ball, and in this situation I would use a hook with either hand. Now I do not play in competitive leagues anymore; mainly with buddies. When playing with buddies I again try to score off of rebounds, hook shots, frantic drives to the rim, and a pathetic crossover dribble might be used as well.

i drive to foul line stutter dribble see how the D reacts and take it from there usually results in a lay up

Well usually I try to move without the ball to get into position for an easy assist, layup or open jumper. I think that always beats having to do a whole lot of fancy stuff. But other than that...

I've been working on this one lately. It really is hard to put into words, like you know how to do it but can't really explain it too well:
    - Start off in the high post, usually on the left side.
    - Catch the ball, take one dribble forward and a little to the left with my left hand while moving my right foot forward
    - Do a quick spin on my right foot, anticlockwise so I get into the lane
    - As I'm picking up my dribble, plant my left foot to use as a pivot foot
    - Do a short jump hook

And my usual is just a basic post up turnaround bank shot. Depending on how I'm defended, sometimes I fade away. I've got the footwork for spinning either way down well, but I seem to make shots spinning anticlockwise (pivot foot = left foot) at a lower percentage than clockwise using my right foot as the pivot.

Here we go, good ol Youtube comes to the rescue with an example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-QZdoM2Nug
    Ignore the first 20 seconds or so :)

Quote Originally Posted by 3stat2
    I've been working on this one lately. It really is hard to put into words, like you know how to do it but can't really explain it too well:
    - Start off in the high post, usually on the left side.
    - Catch the ball, take one dribble forward and a little to the left with my left hand while moving my right foot forward
    - Do a quick spin on my right foot, anticlockwise so I get into the lane
    - As I'm picking up my dribble, plant my left foot to use as a pivot foot
    - Do a short jump hook
    That's a great move. I used to only do it out of the post (catch, turn, and face up) but I've recently been doing it from mid-range and pulling up into a jumper or a floater off the glass if I get the right angle. Sometimes I throw in a jab step before, and I've found that it really freezes your man.

The last games i played i looked at my game and what did i concur?
    Slashing round defenders, pull the rock behind my back and then hit the j.
    Other times il drive/slash the lane and go for the reverse lay up. All my homeys are like 6-4, 6-5, but your boy here is only 5-10 so n****s can handle it.

Local High School Star BrentISballin's Avatar

Get down low , pretend like im about to drive to the right, when the defender bites i switch to the left ( dribbling infront of me, but really low to the ground) and leave . If the defender stays with me i'll spin back to my right and see whats up :)

Besides my 360 windmill dunk?..

I have two moves that I go to ,but it all depends on how the guy is defending me-

First move (gaurding me close) ..If the dude is all up in my grill ..I look to take him on the bounce and get a step on him then look for the lay up ..if a second defender steps in for help I look for the open man...

Second move (giving me room)..if somebody gives me room ..I look to shoot anywhere from the college three inwards..I hit at a pretty good % ..shootin is kinda my thing..

But the most important move is to involve your other teammates

Stutter step and then the pull up J; my other one is the turnaround J.

in out crossover with my left to right, but i put the ball under my leg on the way back and for some reason the way i do it freezes the defender, then i blow by him for a missed layup or i get fouled hard by a guy twice my size