Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    shhhhhhh

Default Re: Monster Man-Eating Catfish Caught in Guangdong

Quote Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
    I wish I had your job. How did you get into that? Did you keep fish when you were growing up?

I love my fish, they keep me busy and keep me relaxed at the same time.
    fresh or saltwater?

NBA sixth man of the year picc84's Avatar

My two greatest fears are clowns and getting eaten by a giant fish. Not a shark, a giant fish thats not supposed to be eating people. When i used to play mario world 64, when i got to the stage where you had to swim across the lake with the giant fish that would eat you, if it got anywhere near me I would turn the entire system off and start completely over.

This **** gave me chills. Somehow it being a whale shark and not a catfish makes it 5x less freaky for me.

Serious playground baller

i would not be happy swimming with that thing near to me anyhow
    sharkwhale or giant fish

Quote Originally Posted by Dodonpa

I don't know if it's revelent or not, but on the umbrella it says 'ZhuGang' which is another river from this fudong or whatever river it is. Besides, what the hell would a whale shark be doing in China?

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Black Durant Jam's Avatar

no, it's a catfish
    Last edited by Black Durant Jam; 08-15-2007 at 08:19 AM.

I wish I had your job. How did you get into that? Did you keep fish when you were growing up?

I love my fish, they keep me busy and keep me relaxed at the same time.
    Oddly enough I got my job because I did my bachelor's degree in historical geography. I got hired by a wing of the federal government's Environment Canada to do a study on the history of Saint John harbour's morphology. Based on my excellent work doing that, I've been working with the group for 4 years, doing a number of different studies ranging from watershed management to water quality sampling or from invasive species projects to shark studies. I am not a marine biologist by training, but I work on these projects based on my cartographic skills (I map the results basically), and have thus learned a great deal about marine life based on these real-life experiences and reading the relevant academic papers.

I did keep fish when I was growing up, and I grew up around people who fish for a living and work on the water, so working with water and marine life just comes naturally. I like the feeling of trying to help sustain the life that we have, and working toward finding that delicate balance between nature and human civilisation that can work successfully.

Unfortunately I'm leaving my job in 3 weeks to resume my education and get my Masters degree (and hopefully my PhD as well) in Geography so that I can start my own environmental consultancy firm with an engineer friend of mine. With any luck that will mean I can have the freedom to do more of these kinds of studies and get some real progress accomplished in keeping these amazing species alive.

Local High School Star CakeorDeath's Avatar

fresh or saltwater?
    Right now I'm running a 75 gallon freshwater. Centerpiece fish are a mating pair of angels; the rest are your basic community fish, corys, tetras, platys (who also get it on regularly), plecos, etc.

The goal is to have two large saltwater tanks, one a species tank for lionfish and the other a large aggressive setup, with a large angel, puffer, tusk, eel, etc. Can't afford all that right now, though, since I'm in my last year (hopefully) of graduate school.

Do you keep fish?

I did keep fish when I was growing up, and I grew up around people who fish for a living and work on the water, so working with water and marine life just comes naturally. I like the feeling of trying to help sustain the life that we have, and working toward finding that delicate balance between nature and human civilisation that can work successfully.
    Wow, that's great. I enjoy keeping fish because I like the fact that I can observe and maintain an ecosystem that a lot of people don't really get to see. Fish have so many interesting behaviors, and they are so much more complicated animals than most people think they are.

Unfortunately I'm leaving my job in 3 weeks to resume my education and get my Masters degree (and hopefully my PhD as well) in Geography so that I can start my own environmental consultancy firm with an engineer friend of mine. With any luck that will mean I can have the freedom to do more of these kinds of studies and get some real progress accomplished in keeping these amazing species alive.
    Nice, good luck man. Maybe you can hire me to help with one of your studies someday. :)

Serious playground baller

could i get this as a pet?

could i get this as a pet?
    Probably not. Requires darker conditions than you are probably able to provide. Lives in an environment so deep that not even sunlight can penetrate to it. You'd have to have the equivalent of a darkroom in your house, and even then you would still have the problem of supplyng it with its natural food sources (which would most likely be incredibly difficult if not impossible).

Incidently, anyone interested in whale sharks might like to know that the Gerogia Aquarium (Atlanta) has a pair of them. If you are ever in the area, go check that aquarium out. Amazing.
    Last edited by CakeorDeath; 08-15-2007 at 12:58 PM.

Future D1 Dad

Probably not. Requires darker conditions than you are probably able to provide. Lives in an environment so deep that not even sunlight can penetrate to it. You'd have to have the equivalent of a darkroom in your house, and even then you would still have the problem of supplyng it with its natural food sources (which would most likely be incredibly difficult if not impossible).

Incidently, anyone interested in whale sharks might like to know that the Gerogia Aquarium (Atlanta) has a pair of them. If you are ever in the area, go check that aquarium out. Amazing.
    not to mention that you'll need a highly pressurized tank. there's so many interesting fish at the ocean's bottom. angler fish are wicked!
    Last edited by jbot; 08-15-2007 at 03:33 PM.

Serious playground baller Sean77's Avatar

Yeah it's not a catfish. Catfish can get big though...

http://www.lochnessinvestigation.org/Catfish.html

shhhhhhh

cakeofdeath...right now i am looking at a new saltwater setup..i use to have two saltwater tanks one was your generic reef system with the usual suspects of clowns gobys and shrimp with some invertabrates too, then the other which wa my experimental tank i had a cold tank kept at around 60 degrees, that i kept some seaurchins and tried to cultivate some native californian algaes from the pacific, it was really difficult to keep going but now that the kids are older and out of the "touch everything stage" i was looking at giving it a go again now that the lighting systems have taken such a leap forward and offer some of the much needed spectrums needed to keep cold saltwater going well

So a 24 year old catfish can reach 180 lbs? And a hundred year old catfish can be as much as 500 lbs??? Get the *hiccup* out of here!

i had a cold tank kept at around 60 degrees, that i kept some seaurchins and tried to cultivate some native californian algaes from the pacific, it was really difficult to keep going but now that the kids are older and out of the "touch everything stage" i was looking at giving it a go again now that the lighting systems have taken such a leap forward and offer some of the much needed spectrums needed to keep cold saltwater going well
    Nice. Coldwater setups can be really interesting. I'm actualy really torn because I really want to start a massive coldwater system and keep some grey smoothhound sharks, but I'm not sure the wife will allow it.

Good luck with your "coldwater renaissance." Let me know how it goes.

LOL