Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Default In 20 Years Kobe Will Be Remembered As The GOAT

Now that the Lakers have acquired Ramon Sessions and Kobe will win another championship this year, he will be remembered as the GOAT. In 20 years when kids are younger and the years have gone by and people have forgotten some of the bad chucking games he's had, they will only remember his stats and big games and rings and people will consider him better than Michael Jordan.

And LeBron James will still have 0 rings.

National High School Star FindingTim's Avatar

Default Re: In 20 Years Kobe Will Be Remembered As The GOAT

If Kobe wins 10 rings he still won't be the GOAT.
    eyeball test man, eyeball test.

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by selrahc
    Now that the Lakers have acquired Ramon Sessions and Kobe will win another championship this year, he will be remembered as the GOAT. In 20 years when kids are younger and the years have gone by and people have forgotten some of the bad chucking games he's had, they will only remember his stats and big games and rings and people will consider him better than Michael Jordan.

Bill Russell has freakin' 11 rings, and he's not viewed as the consensus majority GOAT.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Weak era. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Collie
    Bill Russell has freakin' 11 rings, and he's not viewed as the consensus majority GOAT.
    thats because hes not as good as kobe

As timeless as Kobe possibly could be, a lot of things don't get better with age.

I've heard one very interesting claim that people from 20 years from now (the generation that never saw Kobe)... might not even have Kobe in their Top 20 and probably might not even have him in their Top 30 and that generation would laugh at the generation of today putting Kobe in their Top 10.

Offcourse, that's not my claim, but we won't know how well Kobe's legacy will age (no matter how timless he is), until he retires.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by selrahc

This is why we have the internet. To keep reminding people how bad of a chucker Kobe is and he rode Shaq's coattails for 3 rings and Pau's coattails for 2. People will always remember that Kobe isn't as great as Jordan, regardless how many rings Lebron wins.

Jordan was really big in the 90s, as well as other super stars, and it's amazing seeing how much their values has gone down in the eyes of new people who are not familiar with them.

Kobe has 5 championship, but not many memorable playoff moments like Jordan, Bird, etc or big shots like Fisher. People will look at his 41% finals shooting percentage, 6-24 game 7. His value will go down. Everyone's value does. And Jordan is considered the GOAT not because he happened to be there, but because he was beyond anyone, including Kobe, and stepped it up on the biggest moments. It's not a coincidence that people before Jordan's time, also consider him the GOAT, and pretty much anyone who saw him play. The majority of people don't have an illogical fanboy mentality that only pick their favorite player, so consider those last two facts.
    Last edited by jstern; 03-15-2012 at 11:00 PM.

Lakers aren't winning anything.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    Jordan was really big in the 90s, as well as other super stars, and it's amazing seeing how much their values has gone down in the eyes of new people who are not familiar with them.

Kobe has 5 championship, but not many memorable playoff moments like Jordan, Bird, etc or big shots like Fisher. People will look at his 41% finals shooting percentage, 6-24. His value will go down. Everyone's value does. And Jordan is considered the GOAT not because he happened to be there, but because he was beyond anyone, including Kobe, and stepped it up on the biggest moments. It's not a coincidence that people before Jordan's time, also consider him the GOAT, and pretty much anyone who saw him play. The majority of people don't have an illogical fanboy mentality that only pick their favorite player, so consider those last two facts.
    I think kareem and oscar are not agreeing with you...

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    As timeless as Kobe possibly could be, a lot of things don't get better with age.

I've heard one very interesting claim that people from 20 years from now (the generation that never saw Kobe)... might not even have Kobe in their Top 20 and probably might not even have him in their Top 30 and that generation would laugh at the generation of today putting Kobe in their Top 10.

Offcourse, that's not my claim, but we won't know how well Kobe's legacy will age (no matter how timless he is), until he retires.
    I clearly saw this a couple of years ago when I read some kids on youtube talking about Shaq. To them prime Shaq was the same as old Shaq. It's an interesting phenomenon. Another one is that super stars, like say Kevin Garnette, they get forgotten, so they will also say things like there were no super stars back then, because I've read some comments where kids literally think that Jordan and a couple other of the big names were the only super stars in the league. Outside of these basketball forums, they don't even know how good Olajuwon was, etc, the name might be familiar, but to them he's probably just regular players.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyhtc
    I think kareem and oscar are not agreeing with you...
    I don't mean every single person before Jordan, but the vast majority. For example Magic Johnson and Larry Bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u69SCU79_O0
    Last edited by jstern; 03-15-2012 at 11:07 PM.

He is the GOAT.

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7

Good point.

Any future generations of basketball fans who did not get to witness Kobe first-hand, in his prime, and see what a legendary scorer and player that he was might hold a generally lower opinion of him than the fans of today do.

In the future, some might come to think of Kobe's 81 point game like Wilt's 100 point game - moderately impressive, but accomplished against inferior competition that wouldn't even be able to hold a candle to so-called "modern talent."

Do people seriously think Kobe is the greatest basketball player of all time? I thought it was a joke at first, but really?? Dude isn't even top 5.