Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: The secret to gaining VERTICAL

Quote Originally Posted by Ass Dan
    huge calves
    Besides the fact that calves have next to nothing do with vertical, it's been proven that thinner calves are actually better for vertical (for what it's worth). Try another attempt at being funny.

Banned

having a good balance of upperbody, core and lower body strength is what is most important

having 2 without the other one will only limit your max potential

I added an entire foot to my max jump in the last 2 months and I'm 28 yrs old. Dunking is easier than layups for me now.

If you want to know how i did it Watch Michael Jordans video on YouTube about increasing jump. It sounds like a total non answer at first but if you listen carefully, hes absolutely right. I threw my jumpsoles in the can and quit squat and calf exercises altogether because it's all junk.

Focusing on your calves is retarded because no one knows all the body parts involved in a single jump. You may even be hurting your jump by overfocusing on calves.

The best Way for YOU to dunk is to do what's best for YOUR body type, not Nate robinsons. You have different strengths and weaknesses than he does, some things are longer shorter heavier lighter on your frame. There is no blueprint for YOUR body, you have to figure out what propels you the highest, through trial and error and continue to jump like that until it's muscle memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Big164
    I added an entire foot to my max jump in the last 2 months and I'm 28 yrs old. Dunking is easier than layups for me now.

If you want to know how i did it Watch Michael Jordans video on YouTube about increasing jump. It sounds like a total non answer at first but if you listen carefully, hes absolutely right. I threw my jumpsoles in the can and quit squat and calf exercises altogether because it's all junk.

Focusing on your calves is retarded because no one knows all the body parts involved in a single jump. You may even be hurting your jump by overfocusing on calves.

The best Way for YOU to dunk is to do what's best for YOUR body type, not Nate robinsons. You have different strengths and weaknesses than he does, some things are longer shorter heavier lighter on your frame. There is no blueprint for YOUR body, you have to figure out what propels you the highest, through trial and error and continue to jump like that until it's muscle memory.

This.
    I trialled so many different exercises and workouts from all over the net until I created my own workouts from a mix of everything. I change my lower body workouts every week, to keep it interesting and keep the body guessing.
    Squats (I haven't done any ridiculously heavy ones), power cleans, snatches (including single arm snatch, one of my fav), bulgarian split squat, single leg box explosions, romanian deadlifts, tire flips, and med ball throws have been my major exercises mixed into my workouts, along with one of the best things for improving your jump - jumping. Combining reasonable weight training regime with box jumps and various jumping practices have helped this 6'3 215lb Aussie go from barely touching the rim, to comfortably dunking in a few months. You've got to be patient improving your vertical, there's no quick solution. What works for me won't definitely work for you (like Big164 said). Try new things and see what gives you the best results, and THEN, still keep mixing some aspects of your training up.
    I recommend looking up Joe DeFranco's workouts on youtube. He trains NFL draft prospects, and has got guys jumping ridiculous heights through his intense training methods.

the dude that wrote thisa rticle shud share with scientists

Local High School Star SunsCaptain's Avatar

Spud Webb.

look at the best vertical jumpers in the world... the olympic high jumpers..... none of them have hulk upper body... infact they want to be as light-skinny-ripped as possible.... a human at any weight is more than enough to be propelled thru the gravity at any rate.... the less weight = the more vertical.... so much upperbody weight will only actually make it harder/impossible to get as high up as you could with LESS weight....

there is no SECRET....

its all about:

1. genetics (fast twitch ligaments)
    2. plyometrics/jumping & jumping & jumping & jumping & jumping (trying to enhance those fast twitch ligaments)

doing weights WONT HELP YOU... im sorry... unless you can find some weight that can make your ligaments bigger....

notice i said LIGAMENTS... not MUSCLES.... getting stronger/more muscles wont help you.... its only a fantasy...

EVERYBODY knows this..... but they try so desperately to not lose hope of their dreams......... and try to imagine there is some "secret" way of getting higher vertical....

Look.... you can only workout to your genetical potential to bring out as much vertical as you GENETICALLY can... and that workout is simple... Running / Plyometrics (Jumping)...
    Last edited by pauk; 11-24-2011 at 07:11 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZ3Z...layer_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhF1c...eature=related

"Holm’s Achilles-Tendon is very hard, like 4 times harder than an average-man’s tendon.
    you have to put up 1,4 tons to stretch his achilles-tendon 1cm.
    this is the key to his success.
    Because: the higher the force which is needed to Stretch the tendon, the higher the opposing force, which is produced.
    with his jump technique (fast run-up, strong take-off) he is using his biggest advantage: His Achilles-tendon
    "

all about genetics / fast twitch ligaments/tendons my friends.... not muscles/strength...
    Last edited by pauk; 11-24-2011 at 07:28 AM.

Pauk while I agree with your respect for Lebron in other threads, you're wrong here. Weight training does increase the force at which your body can propel from the ground. Do you honestly think all the elite performance trainers at college and NBA systems that put their athletes through rigorous weight training regimes just for fun? No. They all say it increases your athleticism, including your speed, jump, strength etc. Myself, and others I know, have undergone cycles of plyos and weight training, and effectively increased verticals and speed by pretty impressive amounts. Yes, basic jumping does help your vertical immensely, but weight training is so important. Plyos are best used prior to weight training. Those plyos you see advertised are usually jargon. You haven't done your research or trialled weight training if you think it doesn't work. High jumpers, sprinters, and long jumpers do weight btw. Just not ridiculously heavy weights. Also being as skinny as high jumpers in a game of basketball you will get owned.

The 'genetic freaks' are the ones with the freakish fast twitch fibres and crazy ligaments. They can't really be changed dramatically, but strength can.

Basic high school....F=ma there a=F/m.....if you can increase your force enough your acceleration is going to increase.

Look up Joe Defranco (defrancostraining.com)...dude's a beast. He will put your in your place, and on the right track. No one wants to be a hurdler.
    Last edited by boyle777; 11-24-2011 at 07:37 AM.

its all about this:

Quote Originally Posted by boyle777
    Pauk while I agree with your respect for Lebron in other threads, you're wrong here. Weight training does increase the force at which your body can propel from the ground. Do you honestly think all the elite performance trainers at college and NBA systems that put their athletes through rigorous weight training regimes just for fun? No. They all say it increases your athleticism, including your speed, jump, strength etc. Myself, and others I know, have undergone cycles of plyos and weight training, and effectively increased verticals and speed by pretty impressive amounts. Yes, basic jumping does help your vertical immensely, but weight training is so important. Plyos are best used prior to weight training. Those plyos you see advertised are usually jargon. You haven't done your research or trialled weight training if you think it doesn't work. High jumpers, sprinters, and long jumpers do weight btw. Just not ridiculously heavy weights.
    agree.... but you dont get my point (which is a scientific point)... if you want MAXIMUM vertical you could possibly get (as far as your genetics allows you) you are supposed to do all those things you mentioned but you can NEVER constantly increase it, you could NEVER get like a 50-60 inch vertical leap unless you are born with those specific ligaments/tendons needed.........

understand? YES you can increase your vertical by doing all those workouts, but how much your absolutely top result can be depends on your tendons/ligaments.... something which you can NOT develope, but only RELEASE its maximum potential by doing those workouts...

which once again brings us to the old fashioned answer... "ITS GENETICS"...
    Last edited by pauk; 11-24-2011 at 07:42 AM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    agree.... but you dont get my point (which is a scientific point)... if you want MAXIMUM vertical you could possibly get (as far as your genetics allows you) you are supposed to do all those things you mentioned but you can NEVER constantly increase it, you could NEVER get like a 50-60 inch vertical leap unless you are born with those specific ligaments/tendons needed.........

understand? YES you can increase your vertical by doing all those workouts, but how much your absolutely top result can be depends on your tendons/ligaments.... something which you can NOT develope, but only RELEASE its maximum potential by doing those workouts...

I agree, though I feel it's a relatively obvious point. Clearly, people cannot just keep pushing themselves until they have an 80 inch vertical. While pro athletes are often pushed pretty close to their limit, I often find non-pro athletes have a lot of growing space.

There's a lot of vertical increasing to be had, only because most folks have not pushed to reach that peak. Most often, I can see it in my players who graduate high school and move on to play college ball. On one hand, their body may still be growing. On the other hand though, college conditioning (even at a small school) can often be intense enough to push a player's vertical up another level.

So I suppose my point would be, yes, I agree there is indeed a limit on how high a person may be able to jump, regardless of the work they put in. However, I don't think most regular guys here are going to have to worry about being held down by such a limit. I don't mean this as a put down (for I often wonder about myself in this regard) but I'm thinking most of us will never truly reach our own max jumping potential.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pauk

pauk makes a good point, genetics is the major determinant in vertical leap and athleticism in general

but there is still much we do not know about this, otherwise everyone would have massive verticals

at the end of the day the only way to know for sure is to experiment with what works best for everyone, which is why a lot of programs that are done today are custom made for the athlete instead of one size fits all type programs

the best way is finding how one can balance their upper, core and lower body strength, all of these are naturally stronger or weaker depending on the person

IMO this topic is pretty easy. As far as lifting, there is no muscle you should be under training or training too often. You must have a balance, even if you weren't playing ball. If you are weak in any area, that area will lead to an injury and hamper your everyday performance. As far as how heavy, you should go moderate and only go heavy once in a while, mainly to see where you are at. But the most important thing is to use good form. If you are throwing the weights around, you aren't doing yourself any favor. Don't think that by throwing around weights, your gonna jump higher.

Arguing over what is more important quads or calves is silly. You need to strengthen both areas to prevent injuries and you also need to train your glutes and hamstrings. There is no reason to NOT train a certain muscle group. But when it comes to jumping higher, lifting weights can only do so much for you. It varies from individual, but lifting has very little to do with how high you can jump. Lifting is still important because it helps with muscle endurance, helps you fight fatigue, and prevents injury.

Having said that, plyometrics are much more important than weights for your vertical. But you still have to train with weights, so that your body can take all the training and stay injury free. You also need to make sure you are loose and flexible. Being too flexible is not good or necessary, but you should stretch your tight muscles the most.

I honestly say that the Jumpsoles and Proprioceptors from Jump USA are a very quick way to get results. I used these many years ago and they increased my vertical up to 3 inches just wearing them for 10 minutes. And after a while I got tired and it went down. Air Alert is also a real good program. But the key is sticking to them. I never stuck to them long enough to see the real results. Right now i need to focus on cardio first because i need to lose some weight before i start putting pressure on my knees, then i can try the programs again. Weight training and core strengthening along with cardio can help supplement plyometrics. Genetics have a lot to do with how high you can jump, but your veritcal can be improved, no doubt.

Between Jumpusa and Air alert, i felt like the effects i got from the jumpsoles were more temporary, where as the effects from Air Alert felt a bit more natural. But with Air alert, you are gonna have to stay real committed and it's not for everyone. I think the reason why jupmpsoles and proprioceptors improve your vertical so much is because they improve your mechanics. These things are not just good plyo training, but really good for improving your habitual jumping mechanics. Walking around for 5 minutes in those jumpsoles and dunking for the first time when you couldn't dunk before, is kinda crazy but it did happen. So i think the best solution would be to do a combination of jumpsoles and air alert. KEEP it simple. I see these plyometric exercise books that have like 100 exercises. Not necessary at all. A few basic easy exercises, done on a consistent bases should go a long way.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    Besides the fact that calves have next to nothing do with vertical, it's been proven that thinner calves are actually better for vertical (for what it's worth). Try another attempt at being funny.
    why is this? just wondering? THe part about thinner calves being better