Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Is misdemeanor vandalism a serious charge

I was arrested for vandalism (all i did was punch a picture frame) and have a court date for DIP (drunk in public). I hired a lawyer and my lawyer said the DIP is nothing, but the vandalism charge is another matter. All I did was break a picture frame that didn't cost more than 20 dollars. When I got arrested they said it was "vandalism in front of a police officer" and they took me in and booked me and just let me go after like an hour. I didn't even know I was charged. The person I live with said they were going to send a citation in the mail, but they never did. This happened on the 14th last month and I called a lawyer for a consultation and they said I had a vandalism charge too...and when i went to court it would be brought up. I wasn't even given a citation or anything. Now I have to pay a grand in legal payments and possibly a future fine.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 07-02-2013 at 05:01 PM.

Rules #2 dont give fk* travelingman's Avatar

Default Re: Is misdemeanor vandalism a serious charge

You're getting the chair, dude.

Banned

I won't be seeing you on ISH for awhile. Unfortunately vandalism is very serious no matter the cost of items being vandalized. The court system takes stealing and vandalizing very seriously. More serious than murder. If you look at the years someone gets for vandalizing and stealing compared to murder, stealing and vandalizing is far worse punishment. While a murder conviction can lead to life in prison and possible parole, armed robbery can get you 20 years and you have to serve it.

My buddy was charged with vandalism. Blacked out drunk, went to someone's backyard and swam in their pool. He broke their sliding door and went inside for drinks. Thank god he wasn't shot. He did jail time.

You did all this in front of a police officer too when you are suppose to obey in front of them.

I'm hoping probation for you but you are probably going do a couple of months in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    I won't be seeing you on ISH for awhile. Unfortunately vandalism is very serious no matter the cost of items being vandalized. The court system takes stealing and vandalizing very seriously. More serious than murder. If you look at the years someone gets for vandalizing and stealing compared to murder, stealing and vandalizing is far worse punishment. While a murder conviction can lead to life in prison and possible parole, armed robbery can get you 20 years and you have to serve it.

My buddy was charged with vandalism. Blacked out drunk, went to someone's backyard and swam in their pool. He broke their sliding door and went inside for drinks. Thank god he wasn't shot. He did jail time.

You did all this in front of a police officer too when you are suppose to obey in front of them.

I'm hoping probation for you but you are probably going do a couple of months in jail.

I doubt it. All I did was punch a picture frame. It couldn't have cost more than 20 dollars. It wasn't felony vandalism...though I did do it right in front of them. My lawyer says the drunk in public charge is nothing but the vandalism charge could be a problem. I don't see why...it was a picture frame, it's not like through a chair through a window or something...

Banned

Here's some side notes:

I don't know where you are from but in California anything less than $400 is a misdemeanor. Anything over is a felony.

If convicted guilty:

Misdemeanors, may go to jail but not exceeding a year. You serve less than a year.

Felonies, it means you are a convicted felon, you do at least a year in jail or prison. Anything over a year served, they will send you to a prison. That's the real deal. County jails are nothing compared to prisons.

Not trying to scare you in the previous post, wanted to make you squirm for a little but you are most likely not going to jail at all. Just fines and most likely community service.

Don't act stupid. Just do it on ISH.

Here's some side notes:

I don't know where you are from but in California anything less than $400 is a misdemeanor. Anything over is a felony.

If convicted guilty:

Misdemeanors, may go to jail but not exceeding a year. You serve less than a year.

Felonies, it means you are a convicted felon, you do at least a year in jail or prison. Anything over a year served, they will send you to a prison. That's the real deal. County jails are nothing compared to prisons.

Not trying to scare you in the previous post, wanted to make you squirm for a little but you are most likely not going to jail at all. Just fines and most likely community service.

Don't act stupid. Just do it on ISH.

The whole thing could have been avoided too. I was drunk and had mixed ambien. They were just going to let me go to sleep and on the way to my bedroom I decided like an idiot to punch the picture frame so they arrested me. The DIP charge is bullshit as all i was trying to do was get home. I wasn't causing any problems.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    The whole thing could have been avoided too. I was drunk and had mixed ambien. They were just going to let me go to sleep and on the way to my bedroom I decided like an idiot to punch the picture frame so they arrested me. The DIP charge is bullshit as all i was trying to do was get home. I wasn't causing any problems.
    Wait a minute here....so you were home? You said you walked to YOUR BEDROOM and punched the picture frame.

If I'm not mistaken, vandalism only is charged with destruction of property not yours. If you were at home, you tell the courts that was your picture frame. The reason for punching it?...say you didn't like it or some other excuse.

I don't think you can be charged for vandalizing your own stuff or else we would all be in jail.

Local High School Star TheReturn's Avatar

Got any last words?

Wait a minute here....so you were home? You said you walked to YOUR BEDROOM and punched the picture frame.

If I'm not mistaken, vandalism only is charged with destruction of property not yours. If you were at home, you tell the courts that was your picture frame. The reason for punching it?...say you didn't like it or some other excuse.

I don't think you can be charged for vandalizing your own stuff or else we would all be in jail.

It wasn't mine. It was my grandmothers. It was on the wall in the living room and when I passed it I punched it and broke it. Then I was arrested and apparently I fought them, it took like four cops to jump on me and take me down. Thank god i wasn't charged with felony assault on a police officer since I kicked one in the knee pretty good.

Banned

It wasn't mine. It was my grandmothers. It was on the wall in the living room and when I passed it I punched it and broke it. Then I was arrested and apparently I fought them, it took like four cops to jump on me and take me down. Thank god i wasn't charged with felony assault on a police officer since I kicked one in the knee pretty good.
    Damn son. Glad you didn't fight back when drunk. Some of our instincts are to fight back especially drunk, police or not.

In any case, they don't know if a property is yours or grandmas. Like I said, tell the court that was your picture and frame.

Regardless, whatever you do, don't worry. Lesson learned. An expensive one.

Damn son. Glad you didn't fight back when drunk. Some of our instincts are to fight back especially drunk, police or not.

In any case, they don't know if a property is yours or grandmas. Like I said, tell the court that was your picture and frame.

Regardless, whatever you do, don't worry. Lesson learned. An expensive one.

Well I don't have to go to court. My lawyer said that they would deal with it. I even asked if I went to court would that look better and she said no lol. All I know is they are taking care of it, so unless I hear...hey you need to show up to county jail and serve some time, I'm good.

Banned

Well I don't have to go to court. My lawyer said that they would deal with it. I even asked if I went to court would that look better and she said no lol. All I know is they are taking care of it, so unless I hear...hey you need to show up to county jail and serve some time, I'm good.
    Good luck player.

Somebody link the GreatGreg birdhouse thread from ISH archives. Stat.

I rule the local playground

I was arrested for vandalism (all i did was punch a picture frame) and have a court date for DIP (drunk in public). I hired a lawyer and my lawyer said the DIP is nothing, but the vandalism charge is another matter. All I did was break a picture frame that didn't cost more than 20 dollars. When I got arrested they said it was "vandalism in front of a police officer" and they took me in and booked me and just let me go after like an hour. I didn't even know I was charged. The person I live with said they were going to send a citation in the mail, but they never did. This happened on the 14th last month and I called a lawyer for a consultation and they said I had a vandalism charge too...and when i went to court it would be brought up. I wasn't even given a citation or anything. Now I have to pay a grand in legal payments and possibly a future fine.
    you paid your lawyer that is what you pay them for, you probably won't even have that on your record once they're done. your grandma is pressing charges on you?

Quote Originally Posted by kenuffff
    you paid your lawyer that is what you pay them for, you probably won't even have that on your record once they're done. your grandma is pressing charges on you?
    No. They arrested me because of vandalism in front of a police officer...apparently. What is hilarious is i was arrested for DIP a couple days later and when I was arrested for vandalism all I was wearing was boxers and gym shorts and was there an hour and they just let me go. I didn't even know where I was. I was just walking around, no shoes, no shirt. I walked on some party and some chick gave me a bud light and some black fool kicked me in the stomach...or pushed kicked me. It didn't hurt he was just pushing me away. I was just walking by, but I'm sure I looked crazy just walking around in gym shorts and that's all. Ironically eventually I flagged down a police officer and told him i needed a ride home and was lost. I was more messed up then than I was when I got the drunk in public charge.