Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: Is Roseanne the greatest sitcom of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    Roseanne = MJ of sitcoms ?

I certainty think so.
    Last edited by pauk; 01-05-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    Still there aren't many shows that feature blue collar white "trash" families without devolving completely to caricature the way Roseanne was able to do.
    Martin!

   

newsradio

M*A*S*H

seinfeld

fawlty towers

malcolm in the middle

My Step By Step comment was a joke. Someone above showed a .gif of the one, the only, Al Bundy.

It doesn't get much better than Married with Children. A true classic. Ain't nobody fu[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]kin' with Al's four touchdowns in one game. Can't no bit[COLOR="Black"]c[/COLOR]h hold a candle to Peggy's orange (not red) head and busty jugs. Kelly, well that's pretty self-explanatory and last but not least, Grand Master B. Damn, that's one hell of a family.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Family Matters was black full house, Martin was just another cookie cutter sitcom, Who's the Boss was a mediocre 80's sitcom, can't compare this stuff to the true greats.

Seinfeld
    AD
    Cheers Roseanne Frasier
    Scrubs
    Really! OMG, never thought of it like that! Captain Obvious here to save the day!

... and please dude, if you use the term "cookie-cutter" one more time I'm going to flip out go bat+ape shit.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    fawlty towers
    This is the correct answer.

Roseanne is far from being the greatest sitcom of all time. I can think of about 20 others better than Roseanne imo.

Fawlty Towers however is way ahead of Roseanne.

The Germans episode maybe the best episode a sitcom has ever had.

I dare you find an episode of Roseanne that is half as funny as the Germans episode.

Here's a segment of the Germans episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=f9BetL3rlZY

“Entschuldigen sie, bitte, k

Decent college freshman

I really like Roseanne (until it got s**tty toward the end at least, although the very last episode was powerful). great, extremely relatable characters. roseanne, dan, darlene, and jackie are all amazing. great writing. did a good job at keeping it real and not getting corny too much.

seinfeld isn't my cup of tea, but I get that it's good.

arrested development I think brought in an age of greater wit and even sharper writing. I think 30 Rock is comparable to Arrested Development. Arrested Development had better characters and better running jokes, but I think the dialogue and one-liners on 30 Rock are better than Arrested Development's.

If you aren't black, Martin probably wasn't for you. Just like if you aren't white, Roseanne was an awful ****in show. Same with Mash, that shit was awful too.

Seinfeld is the king, and Everybody Hates Chris was really underrated. Fresh Prince was great as well.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshot
    If you aren't black, Martin probably wasn't for you. Just like if you aren't white, Roseanne was an awful ****in show. Same with Mash, that shit was awful too.

Seinfeld is the king, and Everybody Hates Chris was really underrated. Fresh Prince was great as well.
    agree that everybody hates chris is really good. I think fresh prince was kind of corny and the writing wasn't at the level of these other shows most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    agree that everybody hates chris is really good. I think fresh prince was kind of corny and the writing wasn't at the level of these other shows most of the time.
    True, i forgot all about Married with Children (looking at the gif), that show as classic. Fresh Prince is good just because of Will Smith and Carlton moments, it really didn't have the depth of other great sitcoms.

Decent college freshman

True, i forgot all about Married with Children (looking at the gif), that show as classic. Fresh Prince is good just because of Will Smith and Carlton moments, it really didn't have the depth of other great sitcoms.
    yeah, I can agree with that. will smith and carlton were really good characters, but outside of that the show could be pretty flat. and fresh prince had too many "serious" moments for a sitcom, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    yeah, I can agree with that. will smith and carlton were really good characters, but outside of that the show could be pretty flat. and fresh prince had too many "serious" moments for a sitcom, in my opinion.
    I never forget that episode where he meets his dad and his dad immediately bails on him and he goes crazy with "WHY HE DON'T WANT ME!?" and the episode just ends there with no follow up

Decent college freshman

I never forget that episode where he meets his dad and his dad immediately bails on him and he goes crazy with "WHY HE DON'T WANT ME!?" and the episode just ends there with no follow up
    yeah, but they had ridiculous, over-the-top dramatic stuff like that all the time. one time aunt viv went nuts with the dancing or something like that. there were always those "deep," "real" moments with uncle phil. carlton got in a car accident or some nonsense like that. don't even get me started on will and his fiance. that show always had to resort to stuff like that because they just couldn't write enough good, funny plot lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Chapallaz
    No, because it was not funny, incredibly overacted, incredibly bad acting, writing, scripting and one of those shows where you could tell what the rest of the episode would be like after 2 seconds. That's why. You tell us why Martin deserves to be ranked with those other shows, please? Why would anybody rank it over The Larry Sanders Show? Heck, there's probably enough reasons to list Step by Step higher than that. Full House deserves to be listed over Martin as well. Didn't like it myself though. The Nanny has a good case here. Frasier actually IS 10x the show that Martin was. Screenplay, acting, plot, overall much better.
    It's funnier that's why it deserves to be ranked higher.

I've watched all these shows you've named in your rant, and Martin is funnier. I liked Larry Sander Show, Frasier is alright, but still somewhat corny. Full House is terrible. It was cool as a kid growing up, but watch it as a grown man and you might puke.

Why Martin is being listed as a cookie cutter sitcom it beyond me. Martin did what he wanted in his series, that was act a damn fool. It's obviously not for you if you don't like it.

Obviously, Martin is gonna be different from the Cosby Show. They are both gonna be different from Roseanne. All three will be different from Cheers. All four will be different from Larry Sanders, Step By Step and so forth. If you don't like it fine, watch something you don't like.

I could never get into Friends, but I doubt it was a terrible show. I watched it a few times, it just wasn't for me, move on. Martin was not for you, doesn't mean it's terrible, just move on.