Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Save The Sonics

Local High School Star markymark's Avatar

Default Save The Sonics

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...8&sportCat=nba

I'm not sure if this has been posted already... It's pretty lenghty but it's a must read. Nearly brought tears to my eyes lol

Default Re: Save The Sonics

I don't think a sports column has ever made me cry before...

If they do protest the Blazer v. Sonics ESPN game at the end of the season, I will drive the three hours from Portland to join them, even if I can't get a ticket, (which will be probable in a city as fervent as Seattle).

I remember holding my bladder while watching the '96 Finals, because I didn't want to miss the moment that the Sonics broke the Bulls if it came... and I'm a die hard Blazer fan.

I don't think I really understood exactly what was happening to the Sonics. But I don't know if I'll ever be able to watch the NBA without anger should the SOnics move, which is a shame since the Blazers have a chance at a championship soon.

NEVER forget da SONICS RainierBeachPoet's Avatar

i hope ALL ish-ers read this article
    thanks for the thread

these are the key questions from the article:

How could David Stern allow a team that won a championship while he was working

for the league to move? How could he claim to care about the league and let that happen?

How could he allow one of the 30 NBA fan bases to be extorted? How is this OK?

more later

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
    i hope ALL ish-ers read this article
    thanks for the thread

these are the key questions from the article:

How could David Stern allow a team that won a championship while he was working

for the league to move? How could he claim to care about the league and let that happen?

How could he allow one of the 30 NBA fan bases to be extorted? How is this OK?

more later
    You can't ask these questions on ISH, RBP. These idiots will just respond with, "It's a business", or "David Stern doesn't have the power to stop a move, it's not his job". bleah bleah bleah

These guys don't understand what it's like to spend over a decade of your life following a team, and then having it taken away with nothing you can do about it.

They can't understand that kind of loyalty, or the betrayal that takes place when an owner moves a team.

I've said it before, the NBA can block this move if they really wanted to. The Supersonics are a registered trademark of the NBA, and the players are members of the NBA players association. Without those two things, the owners are the owners of nothing.

Mathius

It sucks from the fans' perspective, and in a perfect world, they wouldn't leave. But the team was sold, a team that isn't owned by the fans, to people who paid for it and can do whatever they want to with it. Do I like that? No, but it doesn't change the fact that if Bennett wants to move the team, the only thing stopping him is a lease agreement. I understand the connection a fanbase has to a franchise, and I understand the feeling of community, and how the team represents the area, so when they win, the fans feel they won too. Comming from a Kings fan, where there are no other pro teams in Sac, I know this feeling better than most. However, fan feelings, history, and loyalty aren't deciding factors in Bennett's decision. Does that suck? Hell yes, that sucks balls. But it is what it is, and there's nothing people can do about it.

What amazes me, is reading that piece, that only TWO people showed up to protest the sale of the team from seattle based owners to OKC based owners. I guess writing an e-mail to an ESPN columnist was easier than showing up with a sign.

i think its absurd that a great city like seattle might lose a bball team while awful places like orlando and possibly oklahoma city ahve or might get teams. add dallas to that list. all i think of with dallas is jfk getting murdered. and oklahoma city you think timothy mcveigh. seattle is the type of city the nba should showcase, not abandon.

It wouldn't be as bad if the owner hadn't said they had no intentions of moving the team when he bought it. Such a dickish thing to do.

kidachi
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

good read.

save the sonics!

but if ever, where would they move?

Quote Originally Posted by kidachi
    good read.

save the sonics!

but if ever, where would they move?

oklahoma... got nothing against the people there, but the supes belong in only one place....

Quote Originally Posted by markymark
    oklahoma... got nothing against the people there, but the supes belong in only one place....
    noooooooooooooo!

one of the guys posted this vid of kemp http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ALdNck0f2o

damnnnnn what a BEAST. he would destroy ANY big man in the league today. he had the power of dwight with a LOT more athleticism

the reignman

Good college starter Eldrunko247's Avatar

who cares. if the city doesn't want to fund a new building like other cities have too bad for Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Eldrunko247
    who cares. if the city doesn't want to fund a new building like other cities have too bad for Seattle
    Bennet asked for a $500 million arena, 3 miles outside of the city, when KeyArena was built less than 13 years ago, and the city has offered a $200 million renovation deal if it was co-funded.

To put those numbers in perspective, the cost of Seattles 50,000+ seat baseball stadium with a retractable roof was less than $100 million. That Bennet demanded a half billion dollar arena miles from anywhere is beyond rediculous.

It'd be like if the owners of the Lakers demanded that the city of Los Angeles pay for a billion dollar arena in Ventura or they were going to take the team to Boise.

Bol'd over

Quote Originally Posted by Eldrunko247
    You don't think that this might set some sort of precedence where owners will expect the city to fund their investment? That would lead to cities essentially "renting" teams, they will skip town at the end of each arena lease unless a new one is funded. "Who cares"? Anyone with at least half a brain, that's who.

Bol'd over

The email that put it all in perspective the most for me? The simplest one:

THE HISTORY OF THE SUPES
    City: Seattle
    Name: Dan

Spencer Haywood, Lenny Wilkens, "The Human Eraser" Marvin Webster, "Shake & Bake" Archie Clark, Jim Fox, Dennis Johnson, Lonnie Shelton, Paul Silas, "Downtown" Freddie Brown, Slick Watts, Jack Sikma, Gus Williams, Tom Chambers, Nate McMillan, Xavier McDaniel, Shawn Kemp, Sam Perkins, Gary Payton, Ray Allen ... this sucks.