Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Division III G Jack Taylor drops 138 points

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    Honestly, if I shot that much ... regardless of scoring 138 points, on less than 50% shooting.

I'd feel utterly embarrassed for alienating teammates. I'd feel selfish just looking at the score board.
    Under normal circumstances, perhaps. In the Grinnell system though, firing at will is everyday living.

Banned

that system sounds like my 2k assocation

Samurai Swoosh

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Under normal circumstances, perhaps. In the Grinnell system though, firing at will is everyday living.
    Come on ...

The next closest player shot 5 shots. You can't condone this type of basketball.

0 assists

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Just read that team doctors reported that his right arm fell off while in the shower.

Ohhh...he did at Grinnell. Ok, that makes sense. I remember an ESPN Magazine article on them a few years back. I can see how he got that many shots off in that system.

Decent playground baller dilley's Avatar

I can't even score 138 points with one dude in 2k13. Man I suck.

Kobe would score 300 in that system.
    Last edited by noob cake; 11-20-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Haha, this is spectacular. Grinnell strikes again.

If you are not familiar, I would suggest researching Grinnell College's system.
    Yeah, I didn't realize he did it for Grinnell. After that ESPN Magazine article I read (5+ years ago) it piqued my interest, so I did some research and read more about them.

NBA Superstar

Come on ...

The next closest player shot 5 shots. You can't condone this type of basketball.
    I think it'd be a heckuva system to be a part of, or at least something worth experiencing for a bit. I mean, it's zany, but this guy was undoubtedly doing what he was instructed to do. If they've got a gunner, they'll have him gun. He wasn't a rogue agent hogging the rock. The system is unique enough to not really leave the door open for people to be upset about their shots or role.

I like seeing teams in all sports employing strategies deemed non-traditional and unique. The fact Grinnell's won a bit with this system only seems to vindicate it.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-20-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Samurai Swoosh

I think it'd be a heckuva system to be a part of, or at least something worth experiencing for a bit. I mean, it's zany, but this guy was undoubtedly doing what he was instructed to do. If they've got a gunner, they'll have him gun. He wasn't a rogue agent hogging the rock. The system is unique enough to not really leave the door open for people to be upset about their shots or role.
    You don't think anyone is salty they only shot 5 shots, even though some shmuck shot 71 three pointers?

Come on, I don't care how zany ... you still find ways to get someone else the ball at times.

Dunking on everybody in the park Court Vision's Avatar

NBA Superstar

You don't think anyone is salty they only shot 5 shots, even though some shmuck shot 71 three pointers?

Come on, I don't care how zany ... you still find ways to get someone else the ball at times.
    I really don't mean this offensively, but I'm not sure we're completely at an understanding of the system they employ. There's not really a time or place to be worried about shots. No one steps into Grinnell's basketball program not knowing things are going to be more different than they ever imagined.

Moreover, their goal is to shoot as quickly as possible. That means, more than likely, Jack getting this many shots was pre-meditated by the team and definitely not something he decided to take upon himself. It's not like a regular game where most players touch the ball each possession and have an opportunity to decided whether or not to shoot.

Here's one clip of how things look in a typical Grinnell contest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZgKFLadcfM

This reminds of when I used to ball in my elementary school yard basketball court. We were all a bunch of balls hogs and would fight for rebounds and dribble and jack up shots without hardly passing the ball.

I really don't mean this offensively, but I'm not sure we're completely at an understanding of the system they employ. There's not really a time or place to be worried about shots. No one steps into Grinnell's basketball program not knowing things are going to be more different than they ever imagined.

Moreover, their goal is to shoot as quickly as possible. That means, more than likely, Jack getting this many shots was pre-meditated by the team and definitely not something he decided to take upon himself. It's not like a regular game where most players touch the ball each possession and have an opportunity to decided whether or not to shoot.

Here's one clip of how things look in a typical Grinnell contest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZgKFLadcfM
    My girls college team ran this offense(we traveled together so I saw prob 50 games of this). They lead all schools in scoring. I have picked the coaches brain several times. Looks like it was done on purpose. Also, traditionally the system at Grinnel has line changes. Looks like he altered it because guy played 36 minutes. Regardless, seems like a lot of shots for this offense.